• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:2.22 BD/DVD to Be Long Version with Deleted Scenes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Now the hard part. Waiting for the American BD release.

Good thing I don't have that problem.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:
I'm still confused about the numbering system on these movies. By getting the later numbers (i.e. 1.11, 2.22), we aren't missing out on anything in the previous versions, right? 0_o...

1.11, 2.22, 3.33, and 4.44 will clearly be the versions to get. 1.01, 2.02, 3.03, and 4.04 will be theatrical cuts.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
vcmusik wrote:
I'm still confused about the numbering system on these movies. By getting the later numbers (i.e. 1.11, 2.22), we aren't missing out on anything in the previous versions, right? 0_o...

1.11, 2.22, 3.33, and 4.44 will clearly be the versions to get. 1.01, 2.02, 3.03, and 4.04 will be theatrical cuts.

There is no 2.02.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
vcmusik wrote:

There is no 2.02.

They're not releasing a theatrical cut this time? Guess they learned from their mistakes. Good. At least they're keeping their numbering scheme in line with the best version of You Are (Not) Alone.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
toru wrote:

A tantalising watch. Eva trades on spectacle and disturbance, and it looks like the tradition remains strong with this iteration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dho331

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:

think of it like software. if you use firefox 3.0.0.18, you're getting all the features of firefox 3 plus bug fixes. 2.22 is basically 2.0 with better graphics and less visual glitches, since even if you have 1.11 blu-ray there are still issues with PQ.
dho331

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:

1.11 is the 1.01 dvd with better graphics / less visual glitches. Even if you have 1.11 blu-ray, there are noticable glitches especially in the opening sequence, there is a hazy glow due to post processing, and in certain scenes there is ghosting / a lack of fine lines. This is mostly due to design and filtering decisions, and because of the layering effects of cg and their impact on the contrast between fine edges. If they truly wanted to fix these problems they would need to re do a lot of the cg and that isn't really needed since the film is quite stellar already considering the other major players in the field of anime
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I mis-read the article as having said that the BD had English subtitles, and almost lost my cookies. Then it was followed by much disappointment. Ah well, I can justify watching the fansubs of this since I'll have the import blu-ray, and will buy the R1 version if (when) it comes out.
Still though, it's good to hear that the new movie will come with the film strips. Suddenly I feel a little less guilty about having blown $70 on it.
Edit: After watching the teaser strip, oh MAN, 2.22 covers Unit 01 eating the S2 engine? Oh boy, oh boy, May 26 cannot come fast enough.

Oh, and
vcmusik wrote:

Basically the later numbered versions are the enhnaced ones. At least with 1.11, it fixed the problems that 1.01 had of being too dark, it enhanced the animation in the theatrical release, and new scenes had been added. I'm going to assume that 2.22 is going to do the same. So, no, you aren't missing out on anything if you stick with the later versions.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for the NA release of this. This movie looks just as awesome as the first one!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I can't wait for the NA release of this. This movie looks just as awesome as the first one!

I can't wait but I think it looks even more awesome. The first movie was just the regular series in HD but this one looks like it's significantly different, which has me very excited.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
So the extended version, a "Long Version with Deleted Scenes", is fully three minutes longer than the theatrical cut?
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
So, when does 2.22 street for US?
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
Interesting that ANN didn't warn of spoilers in the screenshots. I consider the spoilers absolutely enormous. Not because they give you much of an idea of what's going on, but because things such as Unit 01 turning red had a huge "!!!!!" impact when I first saw it as part of the film, and if I'd known about it ahead of time it would have lessened the excitement.

Also, the last three screenshots may not mean much now, but when you watch the the film if you still remember them then there won't be any question in your mind as to how spoiler["Operation Rescue Ayanami"] turns out.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
blacotaku1 wrote:
So, when does 2.22 street for US?

I'm not even sure its been officially licensed yet (the encyclopedia entry is light blue, not bold blue)

WHICH IS MADNESS!
kow626

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
why bother getting the first dvd/bd when you know they're gonna release another one with more features, scenes, and better a/v quality? why bother going to see it in theaters when you can get a big screen 3d tv with surround sound that can compare to the theater experience? funi released the initial dvd version of movie 1 and i ALMOST paid to see it when i found out about 1.11. like i'm really gonna pay for less? greedy, greedy, greedy. just feeding on people's stupidity and financial irresponsibility. for that, kudos, because i'd do the same thing. for those of us that know better and don't fall into that category, gimme a break.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2