• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bargain Hunting Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
I'm looking for the original Gundam series, volume 8. For less than $30.

I found the Dub Only version for $20 (the listing says Japanese, but the UPC says dub-only), but I don't know if that's the one you want. The hybrid is gonna be a toughie. I can feel it in my bones.

Richard J. wrote:
Is this thread strictly for DVDs? I'm looking for some figures that aren't in production anymore and aren't likely to be boots from Hong Kong or China.

I don't know about this. It's the same as manga and CDs in that I don't know how much help you'll receive. I'll give it the same treatment as batou37's request and say that you can ask, but I don't how much help you'll get. If it turns out that there are figure hounds lurking around here I'll fix the opening post to include figures and other anime related items.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
I think that's the one he's looking for King. Sadly, Bandai only gave us English speakers a dub track for that release. Brad Swaile ain't got sh*t on Tohru Furuya.

Someone find me a cheap copy of Overman King Gainer volume 6. I'm dying to complete it. <- I'd love to do a strikethrough but code seems to be disabled for it.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I think that's the one he's looking for King. Sadly, Bandai only gave us English speakers a dub track for that release.

That's the confusing part! The Encyclopedia lists 2 versions of The Battle of Solomon with two different UPC codes, but they have the same covers, release dates and MSRPs. Check for yourself:

release#15826

release#444

Even Amazon has two separate listings. I don't know anything about Gundam except that some of it's earlier releases are weird and this is probably the weirdest.

Quote:
Someone find me a cheap copy of Overman King Gainer volume 6. I'm dying to complete it.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/dvd/Overman-King-Gainer-Vol-6-Yoshiyuki-Tomino/669198234057-item.html?ref=Search+DVD%3a+%2527Overman+King+Gainer%2527
Now, before I keep recommending this site and before I use it myself, how reliable is it? You first brought up it and then jmfsilenthill said good things as well, but I just want a firm YAY or NAY on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
That is strange. UPC for my copy ends in 9. A second printing maybe? Yeah, only way to get a First Gundam Japanese track is the movies.

Reliable. I know two guys who have gotten Yukikaze boxes from them. Definitely worth a shot.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
I've never bought any dvds from them before, but I buy manga all the time and I'd say they're pretty reliable.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Other rare items found from that site are both BVUSA volumes of MS Igloo and the fourth volume of Galaxy Angel Rune. Pretty legit.
hack_benjamin22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The ever elusive Basara volumes 19 and 20 of the manga. Preferably a copy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Used is fine, ex-library copies are not.

Work your magic.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Alright, I'll throw my request into the mix as well. Here goes: I'm looking for any of the three Utena box sets for preferably under $100. I have my eye on a few Amazon listings, but they aren't that cheap and - more importantly - I am always wary of buying box sets from Amazon because of the possibility of getting bootlegs. Any help would be dearly appreciated!

Edit: I only need two of them now. I managed to get my hands on the box for the Apocalypse Saga and its singles individually Very Happy

Last edited by BrightxRingxFirefly on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am always wary of buying box sets from Amazon because of the possibility of getting bootlegs

Ask the seller questions. If they're really legit, then the seller will have no problem answering your questions. There's a template that DuelLadys made me and I use it whenever I'm weary of an item:
Template wrote:
Hello- I'm interested in the <DVD> you have listed, but I'd like to make sure the set is the Region 1 licensed release from <Company>, as opposed to an import edition. Would it be possible to confirm the UPC number on the set? Also, would it be at all possible to get a photo of the exact set for sale? I would appreciate the extra information, as I've discovered import editions are quite common for this show. Thank you for your time, I look forward to a prompt reply.

This has helped me avoid several bootlegs of Sailor Moon.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Ah, that is very useful. Thank you Smile The only reason I was really worried is because I tend to see bootlegs on there a lot; I have also been checking up on Sailor Moon box sets recently, and all of the S sets they have had have been obvious boots from the descriptions alone.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Could someone help me find Mobile Fighter G Gundam Boxed Set 2 - Rounds 4-6?

I have boxed sets one, three, and four. It just looks weird without the second one. I did manage to bid on a new one at eBay a while back. In the end, I lost by one dollar. One dollar. Arrgh!

I prefer the item new if possible. I may take up used finds if all items (box, DVD cases, DVDs themselves) are in good condition.

For visual aid, the item looks like this.

Thanks in advance everyone.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
@The Naked Beast

What Amazon are you looking at? When I typed it, I got 6 used copies for under $50 (check it). There is a "Like New" one that's only $35. If you don't want any of these I'll keep my eyes open for a new one. New ones, though, are gonna be pretty expensive from what I saw in my searches and it'd be helpful if I knew what your limit is because I don't know the going rate for this set (the other three sets are going for ~$30, but this one seems to be the most valuable). Do you want under $70, 60, 50, etc?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
@The Naked Beast

What Amazon are you looking at? When I typed it, I got 6 used copies for under $50 (check it). There is a "Like New" one that's only $35. If you don't want any of these I'll keep my eyes open for a new one. New ones, though, are gonna be pretty expensive from what I saw in my searches and it'd be helpful if I knew what your limit is because I don't know the going rate for this set (the other three sets are going for ~$30, but this one seems to be the most valuable). Do you want under $70, 60, 50, etc?

I looked it up to and for some reason on the link TNB gave there are only 4 used copies and they are $95. But then you posted a link and there are six used copies starting at $22.

Odd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I looked it up to and for some reason on the link TNB gave there are only 4 used copies and they are $95. But then you posted a link and there are six used copies starting at $22.

Odd.

There are two Amazon entries for that set. As far as I can tell there isn't any difference other than release date--probably the later one is just a second printing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Innotech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
BrightxRingxFirefly wrote:
Alright, I'll throw my request into the mix as well. Here goes: I'm looking for any of the three Utena box sets for preferably under $100. I have my eye on a few Amazon listings, but they aren't that cheap and - more importantly - I am always wary of buying box sets from Amazon because of the possibility of getting bootlegs. Any help would be dearly appreciated!

I got lucky and found 2/3 of Utena is great condition used at FYE.
The odds of that are pretty nil though. I got the remaining portion from Amazon actually. It was used but definitely legit and the copy I got was in great condition as well. I suppose I got really lucky because Utena is getting very difficult to find.
I feel bad for people new to anime who want to collect older series. They just arent around anymore, not even used. Unless you want to spend hundreds on a couple discs of content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 35