• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heroman (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Heroman (TV)

so first episode of heroman aired today, what did people think?

i really dug it, the animation and the music was great and as many people have already said it reminded me of a saturday morning cartoon hehe. of course couldn't help but laugh when Stan Lee made his usual cameo.

definitely looking forward to seeing where this show go's but first episode was pretty great.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
-Well that was a lot of fun. I was very entertained. Plot seems kind of similar to stuff I've seen before not in anime, but in regular comics which I bet that's what their going for. Well they definitely succeeded. I agree, it felt like watching a Saturday morning cartoon which really isn't a bad thing. I was kinda giggling at the amount of English text everywhere thinking "This is so a pre-licensed show Razz." Episode was a little slow until Heroman woke up though. Also, I can see a lot of people dropping this because it's too generic for them.

-THIS OST IS AMAZING! I found myself headbanging on just about every case of BGM playing. I hope that song at the beginning was like, the aliens' theme music or something because I want to hear that every episode. The OP was alright. I liked the video more than the song. The ED, however, was FLOW so that automatically made it a great song. Combined with the moving comic book effects, I am totally watching that every week.

-I knew the kid on crutches (Psy) would be my favorite character. I think if this comes out dubbed, I'd want Spike Spencer to be Joey.

-Lol, Stan Lee can't make anything without cameoing in it somehow. It's always fun to see him in his work
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
The first episode was a very conventional introduction episode. BONES is doing their usual good work bringing this to life, though. I really should have seen the car accident coming, but I didn't since I was expecting the aliens to show up any minute. I think this is a show that'll need to develop a narrative arc pretty promptly if it's going to be one of the standout titles of the season. That'll be far better than an episodic approach where Joey's just living his life for 12-15 minutes for thirteen episodes until it's time for the robot to save the day.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
I made it half way through the episode and then hit the eject button. I've promised myself I'm going to get better at identifying when a show isn't working for me and bail. It's not that it is a bad show, but it was just seeming way too conventional in terms of set up.
Zaxs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
I want to know if Raharu, aka Haruko Haruhara, will be making an appearance or some similar character. The reason for me asking is because of the Opening.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
Zaxs wrote:
I want to know if Raharu, aka Haruko Haruhara, will be making an appearance or some similar character. The reason for me asking is because of the Opening.

lol thought the same thing when i saw it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
I think I may be one of those that will get turned off by the generic nature and U.S. Saturday Morning Cartoon flavor of this show. It reminds me of Cartoon Network's Ben 10, a show that has a serious fan base and by all accounts is a quality kids superhero show that isn't insulting to older audiences, but I just could not get into it.

Of course, part of the problem with that show was that by the time I gave a couple episodes a chance it was already well into a season or two and I didn't want to catch up to the show's current story, I was also invested in a couple other kiddy superhero shows at the time (Teen Titans and Justice League) and was at my limit. With Heroman I am at least watching at the beginning and don't have any other superhero shows I'm watching these days,, so I may be able to get into it...

They better hold off on the typical "Humanity on Trial" and/or "Gladiator battle for humanity" that every damn US superhero (or Star Trek) show trots out when fighting aliens. If either of those show up in the first few episodes I will not be continuing.

I will say that Joey is one of the cuter flat chested anime chicks I've seen in a while though... wait? That's a dude? awww, I thought there was going to be some yuri love with the cheerleader.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
There's definitely no "humanity on trial" thing going on. The aliens outright say that they're coming to Earth to take resources, and we know they're coming with warlike intentions after hearing the goofy professor's peaceful message.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first episode.

It does remind me of a Saturday morning cartoon (like every one said already), and I grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons so I was very happy with the way the first episode came out.

It does seem like there really taking the "it takes in the U.S" to heart, I don't think they added in anything to there names like they normally do in the Japanese language. I think the only person they did was with the girl's brother and the scientist.

Any way the opening was "meh" for me but the ending was fantastic. I love the comic style they went with.

Any way, does any one know if Stan Lee voiced him self in the episode? I mean it was one line but did he learn the words for it in Japanese just for the cameo or was it a different person?

I hope this show gets picked up for a dub, it seem like it would fit right in to Cartoon network.

Last edited by ninjapet on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I think this series is more likely than any other new series this season to get an English dub and released on DVD in R1; in fact, I'd be shocked if something about that hasn't been announced by the end of summer. You won't see an anime scream "crossover potential" more loudly than this one does. Besides, given the setting and characters, this one just doesn't sound right in Japanese.

Anyway, I submitted my full comments about this for the Spring Preview Guide (should be posted shortly if not already by the time you read this), but the short version? Given what it is and who's behind it, I was fairly impressed.

And I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned yet that Stan Lee does have his expected conspicuous cameo. (He's the guy at the counter in the diner asking for a coffee refill.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned yet that Stan Lee does have his expected conspicuous cameo. (He's the guy at the counter in the diner asking for a coffee refill.)

Key, ya beat me to the punch! I hope he gets his coffee one day...

Man, I love this show already. The only thing that was bugging me at first was the androgynous look of Joey. Until Will picked a fight with him, I was pretty sure he was a girl Anime hyper

The show is incredibly generic, sure. But I still enjoyed it immensely. Ben 10 was mentioned earlier, but I don't think that its targeted for that young of an audience....just a few years older Razz

However, for me to keep enjoying it, Heroman must NEVER talk. If he ever gets a voice, the show will probably drop for me, at least at this point.

I was glad to see that they did break the mold partially and not have him just "find" heroman, or have his scientist friend build him. So props there...

However, I'm also reminded of "Robot Boy" from Cartoon Network. Boy is given robot that transforms from little toy to fighting robot that evil Japanese/Asian man wants to take over the world. Well...one part of that plot is technically filled. I hope that the aliens just try to kill Heroman, and not try to assimilate him, or whatever.

Finally, I'm pretty impressed with the way they've melded Japanese and American culture together. We should adopt a few of their rules Razz

Overall, I'm impressed with the show.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Oi!
garfield15 wrote:
-Lol, Stan Lee can't make anything without cameoing in it somehow. It's always fun to see him in his work

No way I'd miss the Lee.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I will say that Joey is one of the cuter flat chested anime chicks I've seen in a while though... wait? That's a dude? awww, I thought there was going to be some yuri love with the cheerleader.

Laughing If that were the case I would definately watch the show to see where Stan Lee goes with it.

Overall I sit in the same boat as Spastic Minnow with this one, I cannot see myself getting into it since I never was fond of American saturday morning cartoons, only really tolerating Teen Titans and Kim Possible (because of Raven and Shego Wink ). I am curious where Stan Lee will go with this one though, and since it is Bones, there should be some good fights. I think I will reserve judgement for a few episodes yet. Overall: promising if rather standard start.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
hmm well u have to watch the first three in order to decide

anyway looks good and I liked the first half of it. A show about nothing and everyday life. Didn't like second because it looks like Mega Man NT Warrior. Been there done that.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this anywhere near as much as I did. The animation was fantastic and it's the second show I've ever seen to make me like a quiet character with little self confidence (the other being Figure 17).

The bad guys seem kind of lame though, I'm hoping the humans we see in the OP turn out to be the true enemies.

By the way, one of the Spring previews mentioned this: "a hint that a classic Marvel universe advisory might be making an appearance very soon". Anyone know what that's about? Because if this ties into the main Marvel universe it would be pretty neat.

Now I'm imagining if the Runaways* showed up..... it's taking place on the West coast and everything.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Yeah, that was odd. That photo of him with his Dad looks so much like a girl I'm beginning to think they're doing it on purpose (or that was his dead twin sister or something).[/quote]

*( Officially the best superhero team ever. Anyone who disagrees with me is a filthy Communist.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13