• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Angel Beats! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So, has anyone else checked out the dub on TAN On Demand? For the most part it's good, but I have three problems with it.

1) TK's voice is annoyingly high compared to his rather deep Japanese voice. I don't know why they bothered to even dub him since he only speaks English anyway.

2) Yurippe's voice is quite right and very "California". It just sounds off somehow.

3) They're mangling the pronunciation of "Yurippe", everyone says "Yer-ippee" (rhymes with "hippie") stressing the "pee" sound at the end. I don't know who came up with that, but it's pretty terrible sounding.

Still, I've enjoyed worse dubs so I can handle this, but I know others will look for any excuse to not buy or watch a dub so the Yurippe problem could come back to bite them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
axstoro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I have imported manga through http://www.yesasia.com, in Hong Kong, who currently offer free international shipping for orders over $39. There is some mark-up over domestic Japanese prices, but this might still be a cheaper option, depending on your order size.

Is yesasia reliable as in I wont get a bootleg copy?
axstoro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
So, has anyone else checked out the dub on TAN On Demand? For the most part it's good, but I have three problems with it.

1) TK's voice is annoyingly high compared to his rather deep Japanese voice. I don't know why they bothered to even dub him since he only speaks English anyway.

2) Yurippe's voice is quite right and very "California". It just sounds off somehow.

3) They're mangling the pronunciation of "Yurippe", everyone says "Yer-ippee" (rhymes with "hippie") stressing the "pee" sound at the end. I don't know who came up with that, but it's pretty terrible sounding.

Still, I've enjoyed worse dubs so I can handle this, but I know others will look for any excuse to not buy or watch a dub so the Yurippe problem could come back to bite them.

Emerje

Dont have cable T.V so I dont get TAN. Waiting for my DVDs to ship from amazon whenever they come out though.
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to watch the dub anyway. I prefer subtitles over an English dub every day of the week.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
the dub isn't bad i just hate how it sounds like a fan-dub.
Angelbeats123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed in the producers or the directors or whatever of angel beats....wanna see what happens after spoiler[he sees the girl Angel in real world] soo mad yo and sad! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

[EDIT: In the future, please use [spoiler] tags appropriately, as I added in above. Also, moving this post into an already-established thread about the topic. - Key]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the resolution, one of the bonus clips made for the show as an extra for one of the disks, I believe, occurs after the ending of the series. spoiler[It shows Otonashi as the new student council president, waiting for Kanade to return.]
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Regarding the resolution, one of the bonus clips made for the show as an extra for one of the disks, I believe, occurs after the ending of the series. spoiler[It shows Otonashi as the new student council president, waiting for Kanade to return.]

Most people interpret that as spoiler[what Otonashi does before he moves on and then runs into Kanada in their reincarnated forms in the after-credits ending. Because let's face it, it wouldn't make sense for him to immediately move on after breaking down into tears like that.]
Angelbeats123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
So ur saying I have to buy the fing disc series!!!!I used Netflix dammit!!!!!idk where to buy a fing anime DVD! In Philly damnnn Question Exclamation Crying or Very sad
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
Angelbeats123 wrote:
So ur saying I have to buy the fing disc series!!!!I used Netflix dammit!!!!!idk where to buy a fing anime DVD! In Philly damnnn Question Exclamation Crying or Very sad

First, not really clear what you're so hot about.

Second, there's always ordering it online if you can't find it locally.

Third, you really, really need to make more of an effort to write properly - and this one is a Moderator directive, not a suggestion. You aren't texting, this isn't some shoddy, two-bit forum, and we don't tolerate swearing. Clean up your act and your writing if you want to continue to post around here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angelbeats123

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
First of all I'm using my iPhone to do this forum stuff so chill ur sack doll, and 2nd of all I said fing not the whole word. And I'm sorry that u dont have anything better to do than warn someone like me when there are much worse. So doll leaver alone Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Angelbeats123 wrote:
First of all I'm using my iPhone to do this forum stuff so chill ur sack doll, and 2nd of all I said fing not the whole word. And I'm sorry that u don't have anything better to do than warn someone like me when there are much worse. So doll leaver alone Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool

Um, no. And right now you're pushing for a Moderation or Ban.

Let's be clear about three things:

1. It doesn't matter what communication means you're using to post. Our standards still apply.

2. "fing" is generally understood to be shorthand for a certain word. That doesn't make its use any more acceptable around here.

3. You do not get to tell me to back off, bub. It is part of my responsibility to police these forums and make sure standards are adhered to. We don't let anyone else get away with what you put in your last post and we don't let newcomers dictate how we do or don't do things around here.

This is your final warning. If future posts are not in line then your posts won't be going through any more. If you're not willing to cooperate then leave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nipponatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Seen Angel Beats 14 times subbed, 12 times dubbed and I watch it again and again, yet I still have time to watch the summer 2012 simulcasts... (Lol, that DVD was so worth it!) Saw it on Anime Network the first time they ran it, and I've been obsessed ever since! Anime hyper I was sooooo happy when Crunchyroll announced Angel Beats at Otakon 2012 (I cosplayed as Otonashi), hopefully that'll allow it to reach a greater audience! Anime hyper I still think that Angel Beats has some of the most beautiful animation backgrounds and character designs in anime. Even just how Key Animation shades is amazing! (I liked the dub, and I also love that Sentai kept the Japanese songs too! I imported so many Girls Dead Monster CDs...so much money yet so worth it!!)
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
I really loved the anime and light novel, they were amazing Surprised ...

but I really wish they had made the 26 episode version instead of the half-length 13 episode version

I want them to remake it, to the full length they were going to make it and making a prequel anime based on the light novel would also be cool Very Happy

who agrees with me?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
It wasn't amazing. There were big plot holes and many of the characters (of which there were far too many) were shoddily written. Surely I wasn't the only who double-facepalmed when Yuri's ridiculous backstory was shown, right? Key are great at melodrama but little else.

But I will say that if the show had been two cours, there would have been more room for more natural character backstories and many of the story problems might have been averted or at least minimised. It was clear that there were far too many ideas for Maeda to work into a one-cour show, so doubling the length could well have been beneficial.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 37