• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Angel Beats! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
yes I read into it and they said this is why it wasnt very sucessful. One of the writers were quite dissapointed too. I dont really know the reason why they shortened it, but if it was a money problem they would of been in a better position if they bothered to lengthen it.

I still enjoyed it though, probably cos I am new to watching anime and have lower expectations compared to those who have watched it for half of their life
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I see no need to remake it; in fact, I thought is was excellent as is. I didn't rate it as the #1 series released in the U.S. in 2011 for nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
as much as i would like too agree with you, it needed to be longer so the people had more screen time and the charas were explained in more detail. cutting the anime from 26 episodes to 13 makes it hard for charas to be shown in detail. plus, it would be nice if it did last a little longer. Confused
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I could see getting maybe 3-4 more episodes out of it by cycling through the other characters who never got much attention (the ninja girl, TK, and the martial arts guy, for instance), but it would have needed an extra major plot line for a whole extra season, and I just don't see how that fits in without stretching the material. And I'd rather have a slightly truncated story than a greatly stretched-out one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Given how squashed everything is, a bit of stretching would have been a godsend.

With its massive cast and rushed story, Angel Beats! can be thought of as a two-cour crammed into one cour.

It doesn't feel all that rushed because the pacing is quite leisurely. It's not often you see a one-cour series devote so many episodes to random fun and still be able to have room for the last episode to be one big finale. But that actually just exacerbated things, because it meant the real meat of the plot and the characters' stories were given far too little screentime.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
exactly my point, they should of stayed with producing 26 episodes instead of 13 Sad
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:53 pm Reply with quote
While I was never quite satisfied with spoiler[the mass exodus of characters in the next-to-last episode] or the fact that the series skipped exploring a couple of characters, I never felt it was that rushed, especially given how the final episode was handled. Again, I'd argue more for 18-19 episodes worth of content condensed into 14 rather than 24-26.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
okay I guess we can call that our middle ground, as it would be a bit hard to double the length Shocked
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Given television schedules, it's actually hard to have a series be eighteen episodes long.

And I still contend that given the number of characters and the rushed resolution to God/the computers bit, that the show could have easily been two cours long and been of superior quality for it.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
so you suggest they should of split it up into two seperate parts? interesting.

do you also think they should make an anime adaption of the light novel?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
mjack_15980 wrote:

well, it worked for Horizon and Fate zero
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
haven't watched them. But I do believe it could work. What do you think of my 2nd question?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
mjack_15980 wrote:

That's not what I was saying.

Two cours specifically means a single stretch of episodes two seasons long. So, a single season of approx 22-27 episodes.

I certainly wasn't advocating that Angel Beats! be two individual seasons (A.K.A. "split cour"). It works for some shows but I don't think it would have worked for this one.
mjack_15980

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
sorry for the misunderstanding, i am not familiar with term, thats all

so what do you think of my 2nd Q (that everyone seems to be ignoring) Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know there was a Light Novel. It apparently is only one volume in length composed of nine chapters, so I'm not sure that there's enough material to adapt into another 12-13 episode Anime series.

Maybe an OVA?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 37