• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon King Daimaō (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaō (TV).

If the first episode is any indication, this anime could be much better than one would expect based on the description alone. I was expecting something similar to Maburaho but I was pleasantly surprised by a premise with lots of potential and pretty good comedy. As you may have read in the preview guides, Sai Akuto is a kind fellow who aims to become a high priest and change the world for the better. He joins a magical academy only to find out he is destined to become a demon lord. His attempts to prove himself innocent trigger a spiral of funny misunderstandings. There is quite a bit of fanservice, but I was laughing too much to care.

I read a few chapters from the manga and it seems there are substantial changes. Some characters introduced in the first episode don't appear until later on in the manga. The fights are different, some story details are changed and there is too much nudity. Hopefully the anime won't turn into mindless otaku bait after a couple of episodes.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
From the first episode, all I can gather is that it's an animated, Fanservice-laden version of Harry Potter complete with a Sorting Hat-esque bird.

Also, the 'magic' seems to follow no 'rules' or 'design' at all and instead seems all over the place and not very believable.

the premise of the story is pretty good though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Very generic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It won't explore new territory or be very creative, but it'll definitely be fun for a one-time watch through. Other than that, I hope it turns into him actually becoming a villain protagonist because of all of his enablers.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
While I liked the humour (nice guy is misunderstood for evil guy, and all his attempts to prove otherwise just reinforces people's views of him), the show had too much fanservice. I lost track of the number of panty shots, and then of course there was the last bit of the episode. Also, how many girls are going to surround him when all is said and done? Four or five? And why is the school physician a homeroom teacher???

So I'm a little intrigued by the show, but also very put off by it. Whether or not I watch the second episode will depend on what my mood is at the time it comes out, and whether or not I have other things to download.
Slackermagee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Never have I seen a premise so promising (given what's come out in recent years) wasted so thoroughly.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
This one is quite hilarious. First episode had me laughing out loud which is great. I like the fanservice (want more of it) and some creative ways to "censor" things (aside from good old shadows, which are annoying). Premise seems to borrow some elements from Harry Potter, which is good. Overall it looks promising. I hope Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaō doesn't lose it's charms in the next few episodes (like... Princess Lover!).

And why is that blue haired girl wearing fundoshi? I am dying to find out... Cool
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it looks like it's going to be this season's Omamori Himari minus the Cat-girl (well okay, they very well could throw in a cat-girl). Not necessarily a bad thing, but not terribly interesting either. I also agree that the magic-system seems to lack any kind of design. For now, I want to see what they do with the whole Demon Lord thing (though I am not very hopeful).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
The first episode had me laughing quite a bit, I looked at the picture on new animes, but did not read description, I was sudenly surprised that the guy appeard nicer. And then the tone whent from goodie to feeling like something from the game Overlord.

I like it, I have not seen a lot of shows where guy tries to they are good, only to continuely look demonic. People are claiming that there is no rules to the magic, but I kind of like that it will lots of different magic, I assume simular to a mix of Rosario + Vampire, Zero no Tsukaima, and Macademi Wasshoi. I have not really got much interest in the fanservice side, but I am a fan of Haremy shows.
Niomo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Honestly, it looks like it's going to be this season's Omamori Himari minus the Cat-girl (well okay, they very well could throw in a cat-girl). Not necessarily a bad thing, but not terribly interesting either. I also agree that the magic-system seems to lack any kind of design. For now, I want to see what they do with the whole Demon Lord thing (though I am not very hopeful).

Originally I was going to say Ladies vs Butlers!, but Himari fits better. I don't think this will be a show I can watch seriously though. Which is fine, I need a comedy luls fan service show to replace the awesomeness that was LVB.
Tauris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Gruntsworthy wrote:
From the first episode, all I can gather is that it's an animated, Fanservice-laden version of Harry Potter complete with a Sorting Hat-esque bird.

Also, the 'magic' seems to follow no 'rules' or 'design' at all and instead seems all over the place and not very believable.

the premise of the story is pretty good though.

Magic with rules...isn't that an oxymoron?
Miranox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe people should wait a few more episodes before assuming the magic has no rules.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Tauris wrote:
Magic with rules...isn't that an oxymoron?

Not if it is done correctly. Think Fullmetal Alchemist, which turns magic into a bloody science.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
Got to say it had been a while since I laughed like I did when watching the first episode of this. I thought it was well executed, and so far there is nothing that irks me, which is really rare in any series. Given how big of a fan of Harry Potter I was back in the day, I expect this to be quite an enjoyable ride.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sometimes all it takes is a nice, clean premise to get me. Uber nice guy who is tapped as a future demon lord? Done. Throw in some fan service, some magicks, some SF and Blood- is a happy camper.
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
uncensored? Yes please. let's see what this is like...

edit: No massive changes. Just anytime you saw the "WE CAN'T SHOW YOU" sign guy pop up is now revealed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7