• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viridian Collection?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hello!! before i go on to ask my question, which i hope will become an interesting topic for this lovely forum, let me just say that iam almost embarrassed to post what i am about to say. lol
AS of lately when shopping for anime DVDs I've been noticing that on certain boxes, some titles have been labeled the (Viridian Collection). I really want to purchase the box to FATE STAY NIGHT, and i saw a cheaper collection entitled with the Viridian Collection logo. I am very compulsive about these sort of issues and before i purchase i really wanna know what the hell that means ! lol.
If someone could help me out with what iam sure is not a mind boggling issue, i would be very great-full.

Thanks, Take care! Hope to fear from many of you soon!
Innotech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
Hello. Viridian is basically funimations cheapest packaging and it means more environmetally friendly materials. In my personal opinion it may be a bit too cheap, because several viridian collections I have ship to me with broken DVD holder tabs and scratched discs.
Viridian is 100% legit licensed product though so don't confuse it As a bootleg.
By the way, veridian actually means "green".
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I've purchased some of the older Veridian sets with no issues. However, that kind of packaging, as mentioned before, does tend to have issues. Also, if you're looking for more yummies than just the barebones DVD, you may want to hold out for a nice collector's or Limited edition or find the original release box set. The only time I purchase these kinds is when I'm not sure if I'll like the series or not or if there is no other release available. I usually just save up and get some kind of Limited.

I've noticed that the "economical" releases tend to have no pamphlets or yummies at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Veridian packaging tends to be flimsy cardboard, and shoving as many discs inside as possible. Its great for saving shelf space, especially when comparing singles or thinpaks. Personally, I prefer thinpaks over cardboard, but I'll take all the shelf saving space I can get.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, we need to clear something up. Viridian USED to be shoving discs into cardboard packaging, and it did indeed fail, but that's been no longer the case for about two years now. Starting with the Samurai 7 Viridian boxset (awesome cover BTW), they're now typical thinpack releases, no different from most initial FUNimation boxsets. Also, previous Viridian boxsets that were the crummy cardboard-type got rereleased as Viridian thinpacks, like Gunslinger Girl and Galaxy Railways. Just clearing that up.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Really? I feel gypped now, If I had known Viridian changed I wouldn't have gone out of my way to avoid picking them up, and probably could have saved a few bucks. Curses! Foiled again!
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think a number of the current generation of Viridian Collections are liteboxes--sticking however many DVDs into one case, ala the Mushi-Shi litebox from last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
There's now only one thing I'm confused about on Viridian and that is that the other day, TRSI listed another Viridian set for Mushi-shi, no image yet, but there's kinda already a Viridian set for Mushi-shi (it's in the daily deals today so go get it if you don't already have it), so, what's up with this?

I wonder how many times they're going to re-release some of this stuff before it goes Viridian or S.A.V.E., Higurashi just got a second set released as a litebox (the cover is reversible! Me likes!), but not yet any viridian or anything? It can't just be because it was Geneon either because Gankutsuou is getting a S.A.V.E. set for it
Innotech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
the viridian boxes I have are all thinpacked in a cheap cardboard outer box. Those arent bad, but the holding tabs, as I said before are cheap crap and for example on my Burst angel Viridian collection, the tabs are ALL broken and the discs are held apart and protected by paper towels.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Also, if you're looking for more yummies than just the barebones DVD, you may want to hold out for a nice collector's or Limited edition or find the original release box set.

Not necessarily true, depending on how you define your yummies. My Viridian Collection Desert Punk has all of the original DVD extras. Now, if you are talking about non-DVD stuff, yeah, you're SOL.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
Also, if you're looking for more yummies than just the barebones DVD, you may want to hold out for a nice collector's or Limited edition or find the original release box set.

Not necessarily true, depending on how you define your yummies. My Viridian Collection Desert Punk has all of the original DVD extras. Now, if you are talking about non-DVD stuff, yeah, you're SOL.

Yeah, I was referring to getting stuff in addition to the DVD stuff. Like, you get whatever's there in the regular set, but you don't get any of the art boards, insert pics, postcards, or any of the other goods that come with it. Hence why I don't purchase them.

Although, it is nice to hear that the packaging isn't as crummy as I remember... Still not enough incentive for me to purchase unless I happen to find it on a good deal and something that I don't want to dump a lot of money into.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

Yeah, I was referring to getting stuff in addition to the DVD stuff. Like, you get whatever's there in the regular set, but you don't get any of the art boards, insert pics, postcards, or any of the other goods that come with it. Hence why I don't purchase them.

Though how many first run releases have that sort of thing anymore? Not many. A few Bandai titles had special edition packaging... Gurren Lagann, for example, but even that can no longer be considered a "recent" release. FUNi sure isn't putting in extras (with the exception of a random Soul Eater sticker in the first collection of the show), Sentai isn't, Media Blasters sure as heck isn't (even going so far as to MAKE us pay for the art box for Moribito by itself)... the only anime I got (newly released) recently with a bonus item was the second Blood+ collection... and that was from Sony--not a regular anime distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

Though how many first run releases have that sort of thing anymore? Not many. A few Bandai titles had special edition packaging... Gurren Lagann, for example, but even that can no longer be considered a "recent" release. FUNi sure isn't putting in extras (with the exception of a random Soul Eater sticker in the first collection of the show), Sentai isn't, Media Blasters sure as heck isn't (even going so far as to MAKE us pay for the art box for Moribito by itself)... the only anime I got (newly released) recently with a bonus item was the second Blood+ collection... and that was from Sony--not a regular anime distributor.

NIS America will be putting bonus items in their releases. Toradora and Persona both will come with an artbook and poster, and presumably Pandora Hearts will have a similar treatment. How long they can afford to keep doing that is anyone's guess, but hopefully things work out for them.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone ! a big shout out to everyone who replied, and a BIIIIIIG thank you as well. MY racing mind can finally settle down,lol

i more then likely will be picking up some green collections this weekend, and still keeping the big money on the side for many limited edition box sets i have my 11eyes on,lol....while still watching all the great new anime thats airing in japan this spring!!

Quote:
NIS America will be putting bonus items in their releases. Toradora and Persona both will come with an artbook and poster, and presumably Pandora Hearts will have a similar treatment

I would sooooo love a Pandora Hearts poster or art book, Thats really cool to hear! I remember watching every episode when it was airing in Japan and free item or not, iam just ecstatic its coming here on dvd!

ALSO one more thing before i go, lol Yeah sure, I've noticed a few people here talking about not confusing veridian packs with bootlegs, but believe it or not, I've seen bootlegs with better quality packaging then some low budget packing here~ lol
thats about everything i have to say ~ Lol take care everyone....AND THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP![/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1