• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I presumed nothing, you mouthed off and I asked you a question.
Saffire wrote:
Because obviously you know more about copyright than a practicing lawyer.

Potatochobit wrote:
are you a lawyer?

Saffire wrote:
... you're not worth engaging on the subject.

anyway, fansubs are definitely illegal. They are not a new work.
at least, that's my official stance

edit:
this post was edited for entertainment purposes

Last edited by potatochobit on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
I know alot about the difference between civil and criminal laws. I also studied international law in college with the hopes of opening my own anime import store. I know alot about the legality of 'gray' market goods and how arbitration is handled bewteen laws differing bewtween two countries.

Then you may want to set your favorites to follow the case of Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons, which puts your hopes in jeopardy.

To summarize: Kirtsaeng legally bought and imported text books from another country, which is published by (at a significantly higher price) JW&S locally, and it's now a copyright infringement suit.

SCOTUS has docketed the case for a hearing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We'll be upgrading the survey engine in 2013 and we'll consider an option to allow individuals to reply anonymously. There'd still be a piece of data that showed you answered the survey, but not which set of answers are yours.

That's the correct solution in my mind. I don't care if you know that I responded, but you should not be able to determine which answers belong to me.

I think a brief statement at the top of a poll that describes how you handle responses would be helpful. As someone who has conducted a number of political and marketing surveys over the years, I can assure you that there are strict rules about what information is available to the fieldwork house and what information gets passed along to clients. Any reputable fieldwork provider would never link responses to the respondents who gave them. Here, for reference, is the description of best privacy practices from the American Association of Public Opinion Research.

Thanks for listening!

Ah, the "perfect" post! It's my 777th contribution!
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
that like makes you an angel on the anime forums!
never post again Cool

yes, I do know about the book disagreement. unfortunately, I think the licensor will win.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Still, I'm going to be stupid and argue semantics with you.

And the rest of your post is actually destroying GokuMew2's argument that ANN is beholden to its "sponsors". So thank you.

My first post regarding this subject said that MAYBE it was because it was the sponsors.

Here, I'll quote it for you:
GokuMew2 wrote:
ANN has a lot of sponsors that are licensing companies. I doubt those companies would like to continue working with ANN if they start linking or mentioning sites where people can download series that the company may be looking into licensing in the future.

I said I "doubt." If I were positive that this was the case then I would have said it more definitively, like, "Those companies would not like to continue..."

Then you came in and said some stuff, and I commented to refute. My comments were just based on your comments. It turns out that my initial suggestion that it was the sponsors was incorrect, but *shrug*. Doesn't change the fact that you didn't reply to any of my latest points about YouTube or CR ads on AS, yet are feeling so proud of yourself just because Tempest later came in and said that no, it's not because of the sponsors.

But whatever. This topic has gone quite long enough, and Tempest has already given us the real reasons why AS wasn't listed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
"Are you interested in someday going to Japan?"

...Kind of hard to answer Yes or No when you're living in Japan. ^^;
In that case the obvious answer should be "no" Wink
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
"Are you interested in someday going to Japan?"

...Kind of hard to answer Yes or No when you're living in Japan. ^^;
In that case the obvious answer should be "no" Wink

Well the interest was definitely there... before I got here, LoL.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Tempest wrote:
We'll be upgrading the survey engine in 2013 and we'll consider an option to allow individuals to reply anonymously. There'd still be a piece of data that showed you answered the survey, but not which set of answers are yours.

That's the correct solution in my mind. I don't care if you know that I responded, but you should not be able to determine which answers belong to me.

I think a brief statement at the top of a poll that describes how you handle responses would be helpful. As someone who has conducted a number of political and marketing surveys over the years, I can assure you that there are strict rules about what information is available to the fieldwork house and what information gets passed along to clients. Any reputable fieldwork provider would never link responses to the respondents who gave them. Here, for reference, is the description of best privacy practices from the American Association of Public Opinion Research.

Thanks for listening!

Ah, the "perfect" post! It's my 777th contribution!

You know this isn't rocket science, it is just a poll. A simple poll. Instead you want to turn it into a crucible of pain.

This attitude is why little kids can't do lemonade stands anymore.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
I do think it is reasonable to prevent this information from being linked up too easily.

I have gotten pretty tight over privacy. The simplest statement could ruin a career. No need to let other people know what I really do and think. (And I am respectable in so many ways.)

I feel pretty comfortable hiding behind this account, but I understand if some people want more protection.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I do think it is reasonable to prevent this information from being linked up too easily.

I have gotten pretty tight over privacy. The simplest statement could ruin a career. No need to let other people know what I really do and think. (And I am respectable in so many ways.)

I feel pretty comfortable hiding behind this account, but I understand if some people want more protection.

I personally think Anymouse hit the nail square the head in this case. As given the ease of obtaining information these days, there is a reasonable sense to making this information harder to obtain rather than the alternative. Chances are if one really wanted this data bad enough, they would acquire this, but in a normal case, if the information isn't that easy to trace, that will be more than a reason for most people not to bother with pursuing farther.

Similar with Anymouse I am also fairly protective of information I share as well. I've seen countless careers and even lives ruined by the simplest statement. I've read stories about people who had very secure jobs only to lose them as they decided to post a comment in such a fashion that caused nothing but chaos.

I agree that one should express their opinions openly and honestly, but even with the best intentions, given that the nature of internet is open is misinterpretations, there is really no need to let the world know my true opinion on all matters in life. Especially given the potential end result.

Given that online privacy really doesn't exist anymore and obtaining information has become significantly much easier, there is merit in protecting yourself online. As even if the original source of the content is deleted, there may be copies of this on other websites and search engines, as material that is online, seldom is ever truly deleted entirely.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I understand your privacy concerns, but just accessing the Internet is inherently more dangerous than answering a few simple questions on ANN's poll.

Your browser history is more dangerous to you than the answers to ANN's poll.

ANN's reader survey poll is nothing really important. If ANN was required to ensure complete privacy protection, it would not be worth the effort of having a poll in the first place.

It's like applying commerce laws to kiddy lemonade stands.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I usually look at the site from my iPad, so I would like to see some of the navigation tools maybe be a little more tablet friendly. I suppose that's why you had the tablet question on the survey. Otherwise I think you guys are doing great. I love your site. I especially want to give my thanks to Zac and Justin. The ANNcast is one of the highlights of my week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9