• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nicktoons Streams 5 Dragon Ball Z Kai Clips

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
It's about time Funimation give the fans a respectable DBZ dub.
It's always have been respectable. I am not sure what dub you've listened to though.

No, it hasn't always been respectable. The early Funimation DBZ dub had stilted acting, changed a lot of dialogue for a bunch of silly one-liners, and replaced the original score. It's only in recent years that the DBZ dub can now boast much better voice acting, a faithful script, and the original Japanese score (all at once, even!)
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh, guess it's bout time I stated my opinion the dub. The dragon ball z dub is good in one's own view. But too me, heh, it is probably one of the most upright worst faithful dub to a series I haven't seen. Now trust me, I enjoy the actors alot it was mostly just the script. Which is why, I am really looking forward to this dub. While I really want to help support anime on tv, I am not going to if FUNI is seriously stupid enough to think people from the 90s would still be looking at this dub and get confused when they hear piccolo daimo say "Mankanpasso". Seriously, wish FUNI knew better.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind Monica Rial's Bulma - it's actually pretty darn good. But I'm a bit skeptical and unsure of Colleen Clinkenbeard's Gohan; perhaps in time I'll adjust to it.

Otherwise, this brings back memories. Anime hyper I haven't watched DBZ in years (despite my brother owning the first three orange brick boxsets), so hearing the VAs is nostalgic.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person who finds the original Dragonball Z score to be awful, the only good piece of music is Spirit2Spirit and the previously on music.

Say what you will about the first few years of the DBZ dub but at least Faulconer knew he was on a an action series and created appropiate music like the two Vegeta themes.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I expected edits, like the removal of blood and the booze gettin turned into milk. I'm fine with that, as long as it's only the TV version that does that (and it will be).

What peeves me off is the avoidance of death we'll reportedly be getting. Seriously, are we not beyond that yet? Any kid is probably going to know that these characters are dying just from the animation alone, so what's the point in not calling it death?

I'm going to be so irked if I tune in and hear 'Next Dimension'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
It's always have been respectable. I am not sure what dub you've listened to though.

No. It's always been poorly scripted (just watch the dub with the subtitles on and you'll see) and poorly acted. At least now it's well scripted and some of the voices have improved slightly. The best voices are the replacement voices.

Charred Knight wrote:
Am I the only person who finds the original Dragonball Z score to be awful, the only good piece of music is Spirit2Spirit and the previously on music.

Say what you will about the first few years of the DBZ dub but at least Faulconer knew he was on a an action series and created appropiate music like the two Vegeta themes.

The original Kikuchi score had more intensity to it, it wasn't some generic action music you can find in action movie trailers like Faulconer's garbage.

But this is a non-issue with Kai, anyway, since they're using Kenji Yamamoto's music. He scored a lot of DBZ video games. Maybe you'll like his music even more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I know DBZ is really old, I have watched some of it on DVD and I was just wondering if they had reanimated it or if they just used the old footage, so it's basically the old footage with some new footage and a lot shorter.
They also fixed many of color and animation problems they had on with the first few seasons, and in japan it's in HD and scaled for HD NOT CROPPED and looks much better then the original and better looking the the crap funi put out years ago. Also they cutout a lot of the filler and follows the manga much closer now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm still skeptical about Gohan's new VA. From FUNi's prevew he really sounded like a girl. I really hope Colleen can give him a 5 year old boy's voice. I'll probably still prefer Saffron's Gohan voice, but we'll see how Colleen's voice turns out.

As far as music goes, I'm still huge a fan of Faulconer's and Kikuchi's scores. Don't really care much for Kai's music. I'm just glad that the show is back on TV. And the kids of this generation will get to grow up with this show on Nick.

Last edited by Redlinks on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Clinkenbeard's Gohan sounded much more like a five year old boy's voice than either Saffron Henderson or Stephanie Naldony's. In fact, I'm excited to have a Gohan that's so natural and not so raspy. More than that, she's a great actress and seems to be able to capture his sheltered awkwardness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

No. It's always been poorly scripted (just watch the dub with the subtitles on and you'll see) and poorly acted. At least now it's well scripted and some of the voices have improved slightly. The best voices are the replacement voices.

Charred Knight wrote:

The original Kikuchi score had more intensity to it, it wasn't some generic action music you can find in action movie trailers like Faulconer's garbage.

To your first point about the dub. Who ever said that the show had to be the same as the original (Japanese) they could have just as easly made a gag dub if the so chose to. Why do sub only fans think that the dub has to be an exact replica of the Japanese version only in English. They are DUBBING it not Translating it WORD FOR WORD. Jeez, if you are up set about the dub then just watch the sub, they do release these in Dual Audio you know, no need to hear your complaining about the dub when you can just as easily be satisfied with the sub. So there, problem solved.

Then, there is the issue that if they changed something in the show that automatically means they made it worse. Which is not true and that all the changes made the show much better and bearable to watch to the American masses. Trust me when I tell you DBZ wouldn't be such a hit in the US if Funimation didn't do what it did to the show. The didn't edit it or changed it they IMPROOVED IT

Then moving on to your second point, about the music.... please telling me your kidding. I mean the Japanese Soundtrack completely sucked. It was like watching a serious fighting scene with soothing jazz playing in the background. It was like mixing water and oil, the original sound track worked AGIANIST the scenes in the show.

Take the fight of cell for example. I found myself looking through the "Unstoppable Gohan" just before yesterday and when I was watching it I noticed something was off. It just seemed so boring, no spice to it and I began to think it was because I haven't watched the show in a long time and that I thought it was better back then because I was younger and it sounded better then. But, then with the push of a button and the "Funimation soundtrack" kicked in and the show got all the spice back into it. It was the show I rememeber and enjoyed so many years ago and guess what? It was every bit as good two days ago as it was 20 years ago. The Music actually worked to AMPLIFY the affect that is intended to come across, which the Japanese soundtrack not only FAILS to bring out but on the contrary hinders it.

That was then I Truly understood now INFERIOR the Sub was compared then the dub not only in the actor choice and quality but also, in the music quality.

I truly want to ask the same question that the person you where talking and ask WHAT DUB ARE YOU WATCHING? I truely think you could be watching some sort of FANDUB and not the Funimation dub and that is why you think it's so bad.
It was then I Truly understood now INFERIOR the Sub was compared then the dub not only in the actor choice and quality but also, in the music quality.

To end this long but short for it's intended purpose response, I would like to say that most SUB fans hate DBZ dub because it is one of the shows that made it huge and did even better then the original because it DIDN'T fallow in the originals foot steps. Making sub fans world crash down on then when they realize that the Japanese way the show was portrait in not always the best way to portray the show. Funimation's envisionment and exectution of that envisionment of how DRZ was to be shown is far superior to that of the Japanese in terms of entertaining (which is what anime is, it's entertainment) the America masses. Just admit it to yourself and move on with your life.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
You seem to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose. But it's definitely in the minority. Especially if you think the English dub "improved" the show. Anime fans in general regard the DBZ dub as a relic of the past at best, a form of nostalgia. Compared to today's English language anime dubs, it's a joke.

There have been several DBZ dubs around the world, some of them a big hit without heavy script rewrites. It would have been just as popular here if it had been treated better. DBZ isn't popular in the US because it was reversioned, but because it was a fun action cartoon and that shined through Funimation's nonsense.

I'd really like to hear how transforming Freeza from a ruthless, but well-spoken gentleman killer into a chain-smoking tranny who lusts after every character he meets "improves" him. Or how giving Goku, an unsophisticated country bumpkin who likes a good fight big grandiose superhero speeches improves him. Or how changing Vegeta's motivations before he develops improves him. Or how adding cheesy one-liners and outdated street talk improves the dialogue. Or how giving one guy with almost no voice range several prominent roles improves the show. Or how completely missing the point of several characters and scenes via casting and scripting improves the show.

On the subject of music, if you're a fan of tired techno-rock music beds that create a flat "action" atmosphere rather than build on the tension naturally the way the Kikuchi score does, that's fine. But that's not DBZ's music. If Toei felt it was important to use that type of music, they would have. I appreciate that they didn't think it was appropriate that the background music sounded like everyone was at a rave half the time. I'd like to know how this is an improvement from this beautiful piece.

It's not the place of Funimation to "improve" a show. Ask Macross fans how they feel about Carl Macek improving that show.

I'm glad that Funimation has finally decided to do what they do with most of their other dubs and provided an accurate script, and replace at least a portion of the drab cast to better handle certain characters. If only they had replaced a few more roles, but I can see that a lot of these VAs are now iconic to a lot of fans, so they plan to do what they can with what they have in some cases.

The important thing is that fans of the Japanese version and English version will finally be on the same page, as far as script and tone.

If you want to like that other version, that's fine. Go and do that. A lot of us grew up on that. I know I did. I was even a big fan of that version for a while (I have the VHS tapes to prove it!). But that version's the past and it was never really DBZ.
Inutaihanyou123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
Hey.

Many people just enjoy the dubbed funimation version better as opposed to the original japanese version, or opposed to ocean's dub. Many people also enjoy Bruce Falcouner's BGM for the series as opposed to the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z soundtracks.

Its their right to do so, so don't be an elitist about what other people like as if your way is the only way to approach the situation.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
You seem to be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. You're entitled to your opinion, I suppose. But it's definitely in the minority. Especially if you think the English dub "improved" the show. Anime fans in general regard the DBZ dub as a relic of the past at best, a form of nostalgia. Compared to today's English language anime dubs, it's a joke.

There have been several DBZ dubs around the world, some of them a big hit without heavy script rewrites. It would have been just as popular here if it had been treated better. DBZ isn't popular in the US because it was reversioned, but because it was a fun action cartoon and that shined through Funimation's nonsense.

I'd really like to hear how transforming Freeza from a ruthless, but well-spoken gentleman killer into a chain-smoking tranny who lusts after every character he meets "improves" him. Or how giving Goku, an unsophisticated country bumpkin who likes a good fight big grandiose superhero speeches improves him. Or how changing Vegeta's motivations before he develops improves him. Or how adding cheesy one-liners and outdated street talk improves the dialogue. Or how giving one guy with almost no voice range several prominent roles improves the show. Or how completely missing the point of several characters and scenes via casting and scripting improves the show.

On the subject of music, if you're a fan of tired techno-rock music beds that create a flat "action" atmosphere rather than build on the tension naturally the way the Kikuchi score does, that's fine. But that's not DBZ's music. If Toei felt it was important to use that type of music, they would have. I appreciate that they didn't think it was appropriate that the background music sounded like everyone was at a rave half the time. I'd like to know how this is an improvement from this beautiful piece.

It's not the place of Funimation to "improve" a show. Ask Macross fans how they feel about Carl Macek improving that show.

I'm glad that Funimation has finally decided to do what they do with most of their other dubs and provided an accurate script, and replace at least a portion of the drab cast to better handle certain characters. If only they had replaced a few more roles, but I can see that a lot of these VAs are now iconic to a lot of fans, so they plan to do what they can with what they have in some cases.

The important thing is that fans of the Japanese version and English version will finally be on the same page, as far as script and tone.

If you want to like that other version, that's fine. Go and do that. A lot of us grew up on that. I know I did. I was even a big fan of that version for a while (I have the VHS tapes to prove it!). But that version's the past and it was never really DBZ.

I would like to ask you, what is Anime to you, is it a lesson on Japaese culture. No, ANIME is ENTERTIANMENT and I hope you can agree that American understanding of entertainment is much different then that of the Japanese. Yet, you insist that Americans would be more happy with Japanese entertianment to be forced down their throats. ALso, I persume you will not object the the fact that DBZ doesn't just appeal to fans of the show but to ordinary people as well ( of which there is 10 if not more time as much as fans). With this in mind, I would like for you to hear the fallowing:

Like I said, that responds was long buy short for it's intended purpose, There is no way to encompass broad topic with just a few paragraphs. I also, see this conversation will continue for a long time and I have no time nor the patents to deal with that. So I will make this my last post in this thread.

First off, I would like to say that everything you are looking for is in the sub so why bother talking about the dub? Just watch the sub and don't complain about something that could so easily be avoided at the simple push of a button. That way all the other people that like the show. I say people because dragon ball z wasn't just popular among the fan but among normal people that don't like Anime, my friend for example don't like anime but do like Dragon Ball Z and Laugh at the sub thinking it was some kind of joke, and laugh even more when they say some people take it seriously in sub. So sure, say more FANS like the show to be more faithful to the Japanese counterpart, but the amount of People that watch the show is much greater then the fans of the show and they would like to see it the way it aired 10 years ago. So you can't just group those people in and say the are fine with these new changes. Changes that I presume with make a lot of people disappointing to some degree and the show not being like it was, thus limiting it's success to much less then that of it's persecutor.

That said, I would like to point out your example of the music. The music that you provided may sound better as a STAND ALONE but that isn't what we are talking about here, are we. We are talking about now well it flows with the scenes. So if you think a bunch of African drums and trumps is a good sound track to a serious fight like that of Gohan and Cell, then you are sadly mistaken and possible my have no taste for music what so ever.

Also, that part about Freeze, he may be like what you said, but that is exactly how he was portrayed and how he should have came off to be. I mean would Joker be Joker if he didn't have that insain feel about him? The same about Freeza, he is just that much easier to hate when he sounds like that. I would call that an improvement from a wimps, conquer the would character. Also, you fail once more with Goku, if you you think that the American masses what to see that crappy acting that was in the sub and Goku sounding like a constipated 7 year old, then I suggest you go get check up, you might have a tumor.

In conclusion, please don't group me in with you and say that the show is better the way that is was never showed because you seem to think the American masses will be entertained by it more because it's more faithful to the original. For most people that like the show don't even know of the Japanese counterpart and care nothing for it. I'm sure it was sucessful in more failthful dubs in other countries, but don't forget, that the US has a different taste in action then most other countries and Funimation was just adjusting DBZ to sound like a more tolarable show then the origianl so that it becomes a begger sucess then any other version of the show. Which it did. DBZ has made more money in the US then in Japan and a handful of Contries combined BECAUSE it was edited to be more to the liking of the American masses. I'm sure it would have made money still if it wasn't edited the way it was but it sure as heck wouldn't been nearly as much of a success as the Funimation verison.

You almost sound like you would like you want Funimation to teach the Japanese voice actors English so that they can dub the show and then you want to say that the American masses would enjoy that more then the Funimation verison. Sorry, but you are saidly mistaken, the American masses want to watch the show in ENGLISH not ENGRISH.

What you seem to fail to grasp is that DBZ goes beyond what normal anime is and it becomes a normal weekly cartoon in America. Which means the DBZ goes beyond the appeal for fans and into the realm of appeal to ordinary consumer which has no recolation of the Japanese counter part. You act like DBZ is out there to please fans only, but you are wrong, DBZ is out there to please the American masses and quite frankly that won't happen as much if it stays a Japanese show. That is why the edit are nesiccary and that is why you can't group the case of DBZ into the same catigory of shows like Macross. Which where intended to appeal to mostly fans of the show. DBZ's intended appeal is to the general public, and trust me when I tell you that the Amreican public will not be as entertained with this new DBZ as it was with the old one. Sadly the American masses can't speak their minds seeing as they don't know what anime is and now to get what they want and now fans like yourself are getting what you want and ruining the show to American masses even though you can just as easly be satisfied with the sub or which I'm pretty sure you would watch either way. Whatever, you can bitch and moan all you want and say that all the FANS agree with me (which isn't true, I for one don't) and but I will say that the ordinary peolpe agree with me and they far out way the minority that you are in. Even if I take your word for it and say that I'm in the minority of the Fans (which I doubt every much) I still know that I'm a definite majority of the American masses in the opinion that DBZ dub was just fine the way it was and being more faithful to the original is only going to make the show less entertaining.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I don't think he's as much in the minority as what you think he is. I never had a problem with Funimation's earlier dub and think you grossly exaggerate the problems you're claiming it has.

Oh, wait, I guess I have the Stockholm Syndrome. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Frankly, I often found the original soundtrack to be too corny by comparison to the redone version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf, I understand the position that anime is entertainment, Japanese or not, and that as long as people are entertained by it, that's fine. However, that doesn't make the DBZ dub a good dub of the show. You can enjoy it all you want, it's not DBZ, and you have failed to provide evidence for why the dub is an "improvement".

You're confusing the subject with things you brought up in your previous post that have nothing to do with my argument in a half-hearted effort to get me distracted by the fact you have no real argument and draw me into some sort of flame war.

More than that, your attitude that "If you hate the dub, just watch the subbed version" is irrelevant to the argument. The fact is, I have been watching it with subtitles, but that doesn't mean I should be content while the dub is so poor. Every anime deserves to have a solid dub. By even bringing up your argument, it's almost as though you are conceding, because it's an admission of the inaccessibility of the English dub to fans of the Japanese version, the original show. This is not how to argue your position. That is how to argue my position.

Like I said, you can argue all you want that the dub "improved" the show, but clearly Funimation disagrees now, since they're taking great pains in providing a more accurate dub. And it's DBZ, it will be just as successful as anything else they've done with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3