• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nicktoons Streams 5 Dragon Ball Z Kai Clips

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
In any case, whether anyone thinks the dub was an improvement or not, it still holds that it was far more liberal in its translation than most other Shounen dubs that came after it (From changing music to dialogue, whether huge or small). If the fact that FUNimation touts it as "reversioning" that doesn't clue you in, then quite frankly, I don't know what does.

I'm just about as happy as anyone else is about Kai. For it, at least, gives me an opportunity to mostly be on the same page as English dub fans when talking about Dragon Ball. Kenji Yamamoto's score is really, to me, an update on Kikuchi's score without all the quirkiness in instrument usage of his style and time period of the 70s-80s. It fits for this "revision" of the DBZ anime series and I can't think of anyone else perfect to replace Kikuchi considering his work on the DBZ video games (From the SNES era to Burst Limit). I wouldn't consider Kai "purchase worthy" unless you have an impatience for the original run or are greatly interested in the prospect of a new, unedited dub. I'll definitely keep an eye on the US Broadcast.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Haters be dammed, i'm pretty excited. I'd forgotten what non-90 year old grandma Goku sounds like. Hearing that guy makes me very excited.

I hope the guy who did Vegeta's voice on the cartoon network version comes back. I loved the raspiness of it and wish they'd gotten him to be Orochimaru in the Naruto dub.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Jeez, those opinions against Faulconer's music offends me.

How do you expect Dragon Ball to attract broader audiences using one culture's style of presentation?

Faulconer's music helped Dragon Ball Z become as popular as it was in the United States. It helped generate mood for many areas of the series, where with the Japanese version it tended to think silence was the key to a proper representation of dramatic and climactic presentations. When, it's really about an opinion.

Maybe anime fans generally don't agree, but I believe that Bruce Faulconer's 'Dragon Theme' completed Vegeta's Final Flash sequence. It added the right about of attitude to the part, that it proved a truly climactic part of the series, leading to an underdog unravelling an unbridled amount of pure energy against a nearly indestructible enemy, and leaving a mark. Such sequences require a tone, an attitude, or a mood to accompany it. Things like Bruce Faulconer did, helped it quite tremendously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3