• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam_omega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I imported the UK DVD last month and this movie is so freaking hilarious. The low budget, buckets of blood, and over-the-top insanity of it all just makes a fun movie. Definitely worth picking up if you're into the you're a fan of Peter Jackson's Dead Alive (Braindead) or movies like that.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I have no problem with the violence, but what's with the racist overtones in the trailer? i mean seriously, blackface?

It's Japan.

Anywho, yes!
I've been waiting forever for this to get licensed!
I absolutely loved how cheesy it was when I first saw it.
zindryr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm going to sound like a huge nerd, but it would be nice if some of the information in that article was corrected.

First off, it's Naoyuki Tomomatsu and Yoshihiro NISHIMURA. They co-directed Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl. Naoyuki Tomomatsu also had nothing to do with directing Tokyo Gore Police or Robo Geisha. Tokyo Gore Police was directed by Yoshihro Nishimura, and Robo Geisha was directed by Noboru Iguchi with Yoshihiro Nishimura heading up the special effects.

(And just in case I'm completely wrong and Naoyuki Tomomatsu was some obscure line director that I missed in the credits, then you can call me an idiot and I will gladly accept that as fact.)
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I have no problem with the violence, but what's with the racist overtones in the trailer? i mean seriously, blackface?

As with other forms of this over the top genre, the writers were poking fun at the ganguro fashion craze. This following quote comes from Wikipedia on the subject: Ganguro appeared as a new fashion style in Japan in the early 1990s and to date is prevalent mostly among young women and women in their early 20s. In ganguro fashion, a deep tan is combined with hair dyed in shades of orange to blonde, or a silver grey known as "high bleached". Black ink is used as eye-liner and white concealer is used as lipstick and eyeshadow. False eyelashes, plastic facial gems, and pearl powder are often added to this. Platform shoes and brightly-coloured outfits complete the ganguro look. Also typical of ganguro fashion are tie-dyed sarongs, miniskirts, stickers on the face, and many bracelets, rings, and necklaces.

noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
And speaking of this film, it is awesome! I bought the original Japanese release when it first came out. It was worth every penny.
timesteel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
OMG YES i was wondering if this was ever gonna come out here i saw a review for it on otaku usa's website and then i watched the trailer best gory romantic comedy ever
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:
As with other forms of this over the top genre, the writers were poking fun at the ganguro fashion craze. This following quote comes from Wikipedia on the subject: Ganguro appeared as a new fashion style in Japan in the early 1990s and to date is prevalent mostly among young women and women in their early 20s. In ganguro fashion, a deep tan is combined with hair dyed in shades of orange to blonde, or a silver grey known as "high bleached". Black ink is used as eye-liner and white concealer is used as lipstick and eyeshadow. False eyelashes, plastic facial gems, and pearl powder are often added to this. Platform shoes and brightly-coloured outfits complete the ganguro look. Also typical of ganguro fashion are tie-dyed sarongs, miniskirts, stickers on the face, and many bracelets, rings, and necklaces.

i'm well aware of the Ganguro culture, but that clearly wasn't the same thing unless it's some extreme example.
tyciol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
This would make a much more interesting anime. We have a lot of vampire girls but no frankenlolis so that is very intriguing.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Funi's blog post seemed to imply another license announcement later today. Here's to hoping it'll be anime! Very Happy

I agree to that :] To Anime! ^-^
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i'm well aware of the Ganguro culture, but that clearly wasn't the same thing unless it's some extreme example.

Yeah, it was an extreme example. Over the top is the name of the game with this movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2