• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Hosts Eden of the East Directors, Producer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I've never wanted to go to an anime con, but this REALLY makes me want to go to one. Kenji is one of the best directors out there.
dark_serenity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
its really kewl that theyre gonna show Eden of the East for the first time at anime expo, but their guests of honor, im excited but im not, i mean these guys have done some pretty amazing stuff, but this years' guests are kinda boring, i mean last year they had the friggin power rangers -_-
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
This is exactly what I was hoping was going to be premiered at AX. I can't wait!
Jacut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
Amazing. Kamiyama is indeed one of the best directors of the decade. If only our Japan Expo would invite less "world-renowned stars" (CLAMP last year, Tsukasa Hojo this year) and more actual great directors and staff members such as these ones. But then again, Japan Expo is a huge event aiming for the mainstream public and NA expos are more aimed towards the fan audience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
My God, AX finally got a decent guest!
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I may not be at AX, but I hope fans ask more questions about Mr. Kamiyama and Mr. Nakamura's career and works. I hate to see some fans wasting panel time asking dumb questions like their favorite color or food. There is barely any information about them in English other than basic profile and film list. It's better to ask relevant questions to make things interesting. Wikipedia isn't all that great when fans are confine to one language and don't actively seek out for more information.

I still remember silly question asked by a fan during Kazuki Akane panel years ago when Escaflowne was popular. He asked why Hitomi, the heroine, has a ring around her head. Actually it was about the highlight shape around her hair. The question confused the both guest and the translator so much that Mr. Akane ended up responding as her angelic halo. For fans who wanted to ask better question, that question was a waste of precious time.
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I may not be at AX, but I hope fans ask more questions about Mr. Kamiyama and Mr. Nakamura's career and works. I hate to see some fans wasting panel time asking dumb questions like their favorite color or food. There is barely any information about them in English other than basic profile and film list. It's better to ask relevant questions to make things interesting. Wikipedia isn't all that great when fans are confine to one language and don't actively seek out for more information.

I still remember silly question asked by a fan during Kazuki Akane panel years ago when Escaflowne was popular. He asked why Hitomi, the heroine, has a ring around her head. Actually it was about the highlight shape around her hair. The question confused the both guest and the translator so much that Mr. Akane ended up responding as her angelic halo. For fans who wanted to ask better question, that question was a waste of precious time.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about that sort of thing. Fans who get their shot to talk to their favorite director will ask whatever question comes to their mind or whatever they think is important. Just because it's not probing into the director's ideological viewpoint when structuring male vs. female characters or whatever doesn't mean they are less entitled to ask those questions. If they wanted to have a panel where only good questions are asked then they would hold a press conference (and even then it is arguable if the questions are necessarily better...)

Does it suck that a guest wastes a good 15-20 minutes typically answering stupid questions? Yes. Is there any way to avoid that when dealing with a panel that is open to the public and has an open Q&A at the end? No.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
FanFicGuru wrote:

Does it suck that a guest wastes a good 15-20 minutes typically answering stupid questions? Yes. Is there any way to avoid that when dealing with a panel that is open to the public and has an open Q&A at the end? No.

I'm not going to disagree with you or anything, but sometimes it really sucks when stupid questions takes up most of panel time. I understand that fans have right to ask whatever question they have. However, I believe stupid questions can be weeded out right away when moderator/translator, in tandem with the guest, should decide whether or not that fan's question is worth answering.

As far as press are concerned, I do worry about some of the press lack research and off-tangent questions. I don't know how many press people will interview the guess, but it's not like there are dozen or anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1