• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Streams Rayearth, Funi Posts Sengoku Basara

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiraV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
It pains me every time I hear a dubbed episode of Magic Knight Rayearth without the English versions of the songs. It's such a loss for those only experiencing the show through Hulu and the remastered sets.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, seriously Media Blasters Rayearth? Not that it's a bad show, it's just a odd choice considering how old the series is. Or at least that is what some the newer fans/older fans might say.

Funimation on the other hand, awesome job. But One Piece is the type of sereis that best purchased via DVD. The Extra's are well worth it, among with Chris Sabat (yes, he is that awesome and talented).

Thanks for the update, always pleasant to hear of legal streaming of anime from reputable companies no less.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Not Hulu again please, It's locked in Canada so we can't watch it.

Viz Media and Media Blaster ask Hulu to extend viewing to Canada too Sad!
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
That's almost too much anime to watch.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Sengoku Basara, I've been waiting for this one! Of course, episodes 1 and 2 I already saw in fansubs (and were pretty much all I watched in fansubs, it got licensed so quickly), but I'm hoping Funimation will put up more, it started out promising. And by promising I mean hilariously over the top and tongue in cheek.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
About time that company streamed a marketable series online.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
Not Hulu again please, It's locked in Canada so we can't watch it.

There are alternatives. Use them.
merr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Jeid wrote:
It pains me every time I hear a dubbed episode of Magic Knight Rayearth without the English versions of the songs. It's such a loss for those only experiencing the show through Hulu and the remastered sets.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The remastered sets don't have the dubbed openings? Those pretty much made the show for me back in the day. Admittedly, they sound a little amateurish, but Bang Zoom clearly put a lot of heart and soul into those songs. It's a shame to see them erased from history like this.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:

Never going to happen. Hulu's owned by NBC Universal and they're too busy blaming Canada for piracy. Yeah, it's stupid, but there you go.

Now, on topic.
For those who can, I highly recommend a viewing of Ramen Fighter Miki, as you won't get any fanservice for this ridiculously funny series! It's definitely one of anime's hidden gems, so take advantage of it if you can't spend the $12 for it at TRSI's website. It's subtitle only, but don't let this stop you.
Wink

Jeid wrote:
It pains me every time I hear a dubbed episode of Magic Knight Rayearth without the English versions of the songs.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either version used, but am surprised the alternates aren't provided as an extra. Sandy Fox did an outstanding job singing them, and to know people will lose this on the latest release is a shame.

I'm never giving up my current DVDs for these new ones. Ever!
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
Jeid wrote:
It pains me every time I hear a dubbed episode of Magic Knight Rayearth without the English versions of the songs.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either version used, but am surprised the alternates aren't provided as an extra. Sandy Fox did an outstanding job singing them, and to know people will lose this on the latest release is a shame.

I'm never giving up my current DVDs for these new ones. Ever!

Okay, so which DVD version has the English OP and ED? I have the series in VHS (dubbed) but I also want to get the full DVD set. But I'll only get it if I can get the English OPs and EDs.

(8? years later and I still know all 4 songs by heart. Very Happy)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Jeid wrote:

So I assume you have the Remastered set? I went to Youtube to hear the dub OP and it is nicely done and it does stink that I wont be able to listen to it when my set arrives next week (pre-ordered from Best Buy). I wonder why they didn't put it on there?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Jeid wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The remastered sets don't have the dubbed openings? Those pretty much made the show for me back in the day. Admittedly, they sound a little amateurish, but Bang Zoom clearly put a lot of heart and soul into those songs. It's a shame to see them erased from history like this.

I have the remastered set, and the default for the songs is Japanese. I was disappointed, because I strangely really liked the the English versions. While looking at the extras, I was glad to find the English versions as an extra on the last disc.

The series looks great in the remaster.
KiraV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Jeid wrote:

As Gewürtztraminer said, the English songs are provided as an extra on one disc so they're not completely gone (which I'm thankful for, of course) but it's just not the same as having them in the episodes. It seems like it'd be a minor issue, but it drastically changed the experience for me. Of course, on Hulu, there aren't extras and thus no dubbed songs.

Having grown up on the VHS release, it just seems jarring. I guess it was done for consistency since a couple songs were cut from the old dubbed releases and will presumably be in place here, but I wish they would have just left the dubbed openings in where appropriate even if it meant a change to subbed songs for those episodes. Even a third audio track would have been fine... I just would have liked the option to have as close an experience as possible to the old version.

Luckily, the increase in video quality from the old DVDs is almost enough to make up for the jarring feeling I get each time the OP/EDs come on. Razz
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Okay, so which DVD version has the English OP and ED? I have the series in VHS (dubbed) but I also want to get the full DVD set. But I'll only get it if I can get the English OPs and EDs.

(8? years later and I still know all 4 songs by heart. Very Happy)

This is the one I have. It has the English OP and ED, but not the Japanese ones. But as noted above the remastered sets seem to have the English OP's and ED's as extras.

Kind of tempted to get the remastered ones though, anyone have side by sides?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
I would really like to see Rayearth so it was a blow to see it is on Hulu Sad
It is yet another title on my very long "import when I have the spare cash" list since it has never been released here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2