• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Distributor Lists March Story by Shin Angyo Onshi's Yang

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
I've always wanted Viz to pick up March Story. Yay.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
Is this how all manga acquisitions are announced? They just put it up for sale without any kind of notice to the fans?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Bullshit.

And once again, Shin Angyo Onshi gets shafted with an official release. It's...it's not even funny anymore. It's been released in practically every other godamn language....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
Y'know this really pisses me off. So Viz, the only holder to 'Shonen Sunday GX' manages to release a later works but they won't release 'Shin Angyo Onshi' when the movie was released by ADV.

This is why I get pissed off at many of the manga distributors. They just pick and choose what they want. Just goes to show you anything outside the US gets a better deal. We either don't care enough or we get BS. Then you wonder why folks are reading it online. I've been waiting for news that it might happen. Even sent e-mails. I even own the movie for crissakes. Sorry for the rant. Mad

But congrats to 'March Story' being released.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, I see it as a good sign for Shin Angyo Onshi. Most likely, they're testing the waters. Viz doesn't release much manhwa...in fact this might be their first work from a Korean artist. It looks like before releasing SAO, they're seeing how March Story (which is much shorter at the moment) will do. So I guess buy March Story to show them that people are interested in seeing more of this artist.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Well, I see it as a good sign for Shin Angyo Onshi. Most likely, they're testing the waters. Viz doesn't release much manhwa...in fact this might be their first work from a Korean artist. It looks like before releasing SAO, they're seeing how March Story (which is much shorter at the moment) will do. So I guess buy March Story to show them that people are interested in seeing more of this artist.

Except...SAO is the much better start considering the slow build-up of hype it's been getting of late around websites. Not to mention the context of the series, and the fact that there's a movie out there.

If they're testing the waters, they choose to wrong series. And that's a massive understatement.
rabrek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Except...SAO is the much better start considering the slow build-up of hype it's been getting of late around websites. Not to mention the context of the series, and the fact that there's a movie out there.

If they're testing the waters, they choose to wrong series. And that's a massive understatement.

SAO is 17 volumes, excluding the Gaiden and Amenosa volumes. I can see them being cautious where they devote resources over the long haul in this market. (TokyoPop has bailed on shorter series - my disappointment over the 5th and last volume of Kuruizaki no Hana/Demon Flowers burns bright.) SAO is in my top 5 in the "more than 6 volumes" category, but it doesn't have the shonen hook of a Naruto or Bleach. Which is a shame, because the story and the art deserve a quality release. I imported all 19 Japanese volumes; once I saw it being published in Hungarian without an English-language license, I gave up on waiting. (Ditto my tankouban of Kuruizaki no Hana v5, though I can't make heads or tails of what's going on.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1