• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation, J.C. Staff Deny Anime Talks with NHL

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chickajackeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
If this was true what would be the purpose of this "partnership"- advertising? I just don't see hockey and anime going together.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The article showed a pretty basic misunderstanding of both the Japanese system and is current financial state. Nonetheless, it was pretty amazing how many people fell for it. (Especially since NFL Japan was involved a bit with Eyeshield21.)
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been desiring a Hockey anime, but not one by Kyoto Animation.

Five girls with nothing to do get together to form an after school hockey club where they enjoy activities like eating donuts and dressing up as mascots to bolster support for the team.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
chickajackeen wrote:
If this was true what would be the purpose of this "partnership"- advertising? I just don't see hockey and anime going together.

I'm sorry, but you sound ignorant. Have you ever watched any sports themed Anime title? Sports Anime is one of few genres that attracts people who normally DON"T WATCH anime in Asia. It would be nice if Japanese studios make hockey themed anime. We have have baseball anime, football anime, and soccer anime after all.

Anyway, I think this news is good to point out that that NHL sports article was poorly handled. Ill-researched article generates baseless rumors and speculations.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Five girls with nothing to do get together to form an after school hockey club where they enjoy activities like eating donuts and dressing up as mascots to bolster support for the team.

Haha. Sad but true...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read the original ANN article, but I guess it depends on the point of view as far as this being feasible. Anime themed US/Canada commercials probably wouldn't do...anything. Commercials and TV anime series for Japan would be a much better venture, however. I think chickajackeen was talking about the former. I'm not so sure what he/she meant by anime and hockey not mixing well, but I assume the comment was targeted more at the American/Canadian hockey fanbase being at all interested (as a group) in a hockey anime. Hockey in Canada and the US doesn't really need advertising. I'm not sure how popular it is in Japan, though.

Are there even many manga series based on hockey? I know there's My Heavenly Hockey Club (which I believe is for ice hockey, not field), but it's more of a romance series. Does field hockey have a series? I wouldn't actually mind watching an ice hockey series, as long as it stayed true to the sport. But, even more importantly, give me a curling anime!
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha. Welcome to the NHL.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Haha. Sad but true...

Hey, to be fair, there would also be plenty of scenes of the girls playing hockey. . . . Well, at least scenes of them gearing up for the big game. And then maybe a shot of the scoreboard as the buzzer sounds. That would still leave plenty of time for the girls to sit around after the game laughing about how their goalie not only missed the last shot, but managed to pantyflash half the spectators in the process.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

Is it just me or are you just making generalization of Anime studios by their major works? If an anime studio has very successful character genre, does it mean the studio revolve complete around that genre? Of course not. Any anime studio can make sports anime if it has right resource.

Who cares if Kyoto Animation makes a sports anime? It's not like it'll use Moe-characters.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I like how the screenshot has advertisements on it. Lol @ people who don't use adblock+
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
@reanimator
If the shoe fits. Look at Gonzo. While a couple of their shows were pretty damn good, the majority seemed to degenerate into total crapfests. It got to the point where a person could just assume that the studio's new projects would be full of visually impressive, though often ridiculous, CG critters and little else.

Quote:
It's not like it'll use Moe-characters.

Given KyoAni's track record, I'd say it would be 50/50. Wink
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I didn't read the original ANN article, but I guess it depends on the point of view as far as this being feasible.

There was no ANN article written about the Bleacher Report article before today. The Bleacher Report article raised red flags, so ANN asked for verification from Kyoto Animation and NHL before posting any articles.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I didn't read the original ANN article, but I guess it depends on the point of view as far as this being feasible.

There was no ANN article written about the Bleacher Report article before today. The Bleacher Report article raised red flags, so ANN asked for verification from Kyoto Animation and NHL before posting any articles.

Ah, okay; I thought I remembered seeing an article relating to the NHL, but didn't click on it. Thanks.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what an arbitrary prank... Confused
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, a hockey anime is one of the few sports anime that might actually work in NA, at least in Canada. But a Japanese interpretation of the game might not work out as well. The hockey fights could turn into epic battles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3