• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Vampire Princess Miyu TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This, along with Violinist of Hameln, were the first anime I ever bought on VHS fansubs. This might be a nostalgia pick-up for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Princess TV is nowhere as good as the OVA. I first saw the OVA on VHS which I think I still have somewhere.. it was great, atmospheric, sentimental and melancholic. Much later in the current era I downloaded the TV rips and was disappointed. It has the same aesthetic and tries to aim for the same thing, but it gets extremely repetitive and boring. I didn't even finish it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Most of the TV series versions of late 80s/early 90s OVAs are bad, or at least nowhere near as good as the originals. Lodoss, BGC2040, Silent Mobius, Burn Up!, and I've never heard too much great about this series in particular either. When people talk about Miyu, it seems to be concentrated only on the OVA.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Maiden Japan is actually a line within Sentai as opposed to a new, independent distributor. They've only put out a few titles so far, like Glass Maiden and Ray.

They also released Papillon Rose which very few bought because of the many issues that set had from the letterbox video to the TV episodes using the broadcast masters. Source!

They also released Polyphonica Crimson S which was strange because the original season was released under Sentai. Confused

Maiden Japan is the animation label for Switchblade, which appears to be owned and run by Matt Greenfield. He is the executive producer on all their releases, both live action and anime. Sentai is actually a legally separate company, though they both happen to use Section 23 as a distributor.

I've been wanting to pick this up for a while. I'm glad to see a license rescue that I'm actually excited about. Also, this will be Maiden Japan's first bilingual anime release (though the dub already existed.)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Instant buy!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about tracking down the OOP DVDs, but it's great to know that I don't have to now! Very Happy

AnimEigo still has the original OVA, which is still very much in print. It can be purchased for only $7.99 a volume off of their website: http://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/vampire-princess-miyu
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Maiden Japan is actually a line within Sentai as opposed to a new, independent distributor. They've only put out a few titles so far, like Glass Maiden and Ray.

Essentially, Maiden Japan's focus seems to be on shows that feature a female as the lead, or at least females are a heavy focus. Miyu TV is an interesting pick for a license rescue, though.

Yes, the common denominator seems to be a female lead/focus with a mystery element. Which is why Zombie-Loan would be a perfect acquisition for them.

I guess "Maiden" is the key word, then…

Very glad to see VPM TV rescued. It's a really good, atmospheric series that doesn't deserved to be relegated to the abyss of lost licenses. Hopefully, MJ/Sentai will give it a good amount of attention publicity- and digital distro-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

They are not a product line. They claim to be an independent company. They have contracts with Section 23 to do distribution. Section 23 also does distribution for Sentai Filmworks. They've been around since when Section 23 was formed.

Also I always LOVED the 90's TV series. It was much better then the 80's ova. The 80's OVA is good and all, but damn that 90's tv show blows it away in my opinion. Also the dub is MUCH better on the tv show. Shame the amazing Kimberly Brown didn't stick around to dub the entire thing. She is the one true Miyu IMO. I can't even listen to the dub on the OVA, god what a train wreck.

This show is an insta buy, despite owning most of Tokyopop's DVDs.
lulz0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I never liked the TV series as much as the OVA's.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I thought I smelled an old dead fish there somewhere. Laughing I've got both the OVA on VHS and the TV series on DVD. I'd get the manga if it were translated and sold outside of Japan. It was one of my gateway anime way back when, and a cherished collection on my shelf.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
They are not a product line. They claim to be an independent company. They have contracts with Section 23 to do distribution. Section 23 also does distribution for Sentai Filmworks. They've been around since when Section 23 was formed.

Also I always LOVED the 90's TV series. It was much better then the 80's ova. The 80's OVA is good and all, but damn that 90's tv show blows it away in my opinion. Also the dub is MUCH better on the tv show. Shame the amazing Kimberly Brown didn't stick around to dub the entire thing. She is the one true Miyu IMO. I can't even listen to the dub on the OVA, god what a train wreck.

This show is an insta buy, despite owning most of Tokyopop's DVDs.

I think Maiden Japan is the "anime" subsidiary of Switchblade Pictures, which is an independent company distributing live-action foreign material, also with distribution by Section23. Matt Greenfield is to "Maiden Japan" what John Ledford is to "Sentai Filmworks", although I think both are involved with both in some way. I just realized that "Maiden Japan" is pronounced the same way as "Made in Japan".

While I didn't really mind the OVA's dub (I hear the MangaUK one is better), I agree that the TV series is underrated. Kimberly was an awesome Miyu, but I guess this is what you get when you try to cast a semi-celebrity in an anime dub (Emmanuelle Chirqui was also in the cast). Dorothy Fahn wasn't bad though.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I thought I smelled an old dead fish there somewhere. Laughing I've got both the OVA on VHS and the TV series on DVD. I'd get the manga if it were translated and sold outside of Japan. It was one of my gateway anime way back when, and a cherished collection on my shelf.

The manga was actually licensed in the US by Studio Ironcat (AKA I.C. Entertainment), but the company shut down after releasing, I believe, 7 volumes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
The publishing history is a bit complicated, but Iron Cat did manage to put out 5 volumes of "Vampire Princess Miyu", and an additional 5 volumes of "New Vampire Princess Miyu". They also issued one volume of "Vampire Yui" and one of "Vampire Dahlia". They also did parts of other Kakinouchi titles.

Most of this came out in comic book format including a lot of "Vampire Yui" not in the single volume they published. In the comic format they used both "Vampire Miyu" and "Vampire Princess Miyu" for titles.

Unfortunately, the guy who was running Iron Cat died and his sons were not able to keep it going.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I should hope it will be rather better than the Tokyopop DVDs you could literally see them feeling their way through with changes made from volume-to-volume; they clearly didn't have a clean ED so at the start they freeze-framed it whenever a Japanese name was about to come up but on later episodes left it intact and did an English scrol after. IIRC the first volume even cut out the OP/EDs from all but the first and last episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I should hope it will be rather better than the Tokyopop DVDs you could literally see them feeling their way through with changes made from volume-to-volume; they clearly didn't have a clean ED so at the start they freeze-framed it whenever a Japanese name was about to come up but on later episodes left it intact and did an English scrol after. IIRC the first volume even cut out the OP/EDs from all but the first and last episodes.

It showed up that way on VOD, too. I hope Maiden Japan just uses a separate endroll at the end with the translated credits and keep the OPs/EDs unadulterated all the way through.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I just use the "neo-ADV" moniker for all of these companies, Maiden, Sentai, S23, TAN, etc Smile

Even if they are legally separate, they are still tightly connected, share resources and/or history, much of the same people, and not to mention they're all still in Texas. After the "demise" of ADV, the people and resources just moved down the block or are still in the same neighborhood if I recall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2