• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Into the Abyss

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
HECK YEAH, SGT FROG. Props where props are due. Cool

I really hope Funimation continues releasing that show. I seem to remember them saying that they'd licensed the first two seasons from ADV (?) which, if they're going by the Japanese seasons, would mean they have episodes 1-103. However, Funimation divided season one (episodes 1-51) into two seasons, so...

I have no idea if the rest needs to be licensed, or if it already is. Confused

And I loved Neo Angelique Abyss if only because Angelique herself had such a gorgeous character design. I mean, damn. You really believed she would have a reverse harem falling all over themselves for her, what a cutie!
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Hey, at this point, Sgt. Frog will only keep getting more and more hype.

Which it dearly needs.

Who wants to see more dubbed frogs? ME!!!
loka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
@ shelf obsessed Raffi:

You certainly have wide taste in manga. Sundome to Vampire Knight. Gatcha Gacha to Gacha Gacha. Nice collection.
merr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
Great to see some Sgt. Frog love! I know the dub isn't everybody's cup of tea, but you've got to admit, for the audience they're targeting it works.

Here's hoping that Funi releases more.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The additional English dub jokes are for and by our demographic, that is to say, people who spend a lot of time living on the internet. I spend so much time with people of my own demographic that I forget there's a larger population out there who aren't in touch with online culture. I had to explain pirates vs. ninjas to the last editor and director I worked with, even though the director was nearly the same age as me. I had to explain lolcats to my parents. My parents would not get all of the jokes in Sgt. Frog, but I am interested in seeing if they would find it funny.

..and suddenly I fear fow how much I will be able to take away. Hopefully there is still enough between the netizen references, but probably time to move this one up the list a few dozen notches to see if it is worth continuing or flipping to the manga.

Nice managa selection in the collection though.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote
Yay! The world needs more Sgt. Frog affection. Some of those episodes on there are my favorite episodes of the entire 1st season (The animal episode, the animation episode, and the one where Taruru shows up, etc).

I don't know how well sales are doing (I'm assuming they're atleast breaking even) and internet rumors are becoming really unreliable from "Oh, yeah its cancelled" to "I talked to a voice actor and they said they're working on it!" so who knows :< But I'd love for Funimation to keep going. If they quit before the Garuru Platoon arc, I might have to cry.
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
I really loved the shelf life this week, I so wish I had the shelf space to showcase my whole collection. Now everything is stacked in boxes in my boyfriends grandfathers attic. One day I will have enough space to showcase.

Sgt Frog has moved up a notch in my to buy list as it always seems to get good reviews. Now if only Funimation would release the rest of D Gray-Man. Than I would be a happy camper!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
I thought that Sgt. Frog was supposed to be on Cartoon Network, dubbed in the Crayon Shin-chan method. Maybe that was just the DVD I was thinking about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
If you're paying $6 for a bier from Bruge, you're being ripped. The only good beer I've tasted from there is Stella Artois, lovingly known as "Wife Beater" here in the UK. It's only slightly better than cat piss. Now if you want a beer that is well worth its price try a glass of Innis and Gunn. A true amber nectar they use to just flush down the drains for years. Wink
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
No interest in the anime, but still wanting an English version of Angelique (any of the games) after all these years. Guess that's never going to happen though and I'll need to continue practicing my reading Japanese.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
I am always a bit confused when I see someone who puts their artboxes flipped on the self, so all you see is the spine of the DVDs. The only reason I can think of for doing so would be easier access to the DVDs... except I can't imaging that it would save any time. You might as well just store the artboxes and simply keep the DVDs on your self.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
If they quit before the Garuru Platoon arc, I might have to cry.

The Garuru Platoon invasion arc were my favorite of the "serious" episodes. I'm hoping they at least get up to the "drill virus" episode. I'm liking the sub and dub equally, but the manga's still my favorite.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'd never thought of the "guys in tuxes" episode as the female equivalent of a beach episode but now that you mention it....

And after seeing the review I do want to get around to seeing St. Frog in English sometime. I've read the first (maybe more) volume of the manga and found it amusing but not a must keep reading sort of deal, all the more reason to try out the anime I suppose.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I thought that Sgt. Frog was supposed to be on Cartoon Network, dubbed in the Crayon Shin-chan method. Maybe that was just the DVD I was thinking about?

It was probaby the DVD. I would assume that Frog would be looked at as the same type of show as Shin, which had a pretty decent run but was eventually dropped entirely. I doubt if they would pick up another series that they thought was similar.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Well the only similarity I know of between SGT Frog and Shin Chan is that they would change the dialogue so Americans would not be lost on some of the references. Other than that, I don't know if it would be a good/bad acquisition for CN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4