• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Dirty Pair: Project Eden

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShampooEater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
good god. i love buried treasure/garbage. im gonna go reread them all again. cant wait for the next...whenever that is, aha.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Even though you told me you were probably going to do this over twitter (I'm @predederva if you didn't guess Wink , hope you don't mind the random questions/chatter on twitter) ahead of time, it's still kinda sad to see you stop writing this, regularly anyway. But I'll be looking forward to reading whenever/whatever you do write for this column in the future. This has been my favorite column to read on ANN since you started it way back when, and it's still my favorite today. In fact I vividly remember how I kept looking forward to a new reviews from you, and was a little disapointed once you kinda started to wind down a few months ago. I've bought many DVDs and even a VHS tape or two due to this column and never been disapointed. You are a reviewer I highly respect, and my taste line up well with yours Wink . I guess I too enjoy watching the more obscure, odd, interesting, and old series, just like you. I have so much more I want to buy because of what you said about them here too! So thanks for all the hard work, great reviews, and tipping me off to some great (and a few "so bad their good") anime! Feel free to bring up some odd obscure anime on ANNcast when you can! Love the podcast!

Oh, and one of these days I must make time to finish Night on the Galactic Railroad. Excellent film sir! I was lucky enough to get CPM's DVD awhile back, watched most of it but had to go out once it was almost over Sad . Will have to make time to watch the entire thing in one sitting ASAP.

I'll really will miss seeing a new review for Buried Treasure every couple weeks/month , but it's nice to see you won't be giving it up for good. Still kinda sad tho Sad . This is easily my favorite part of ANN sir.

Until your next review - "My sword is unbelievably dull!"

Last edited by Prede on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm; edited 6 times in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Aw, man there goes my favorite column. Unlike Astro Toy, we don't have anyone to pick up the slack. I remember I actually printed out about four or five columns due to how good they were. Hopefully Sevakis finds new material some day and decides to write an article!
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who likes Dirt Pair should check out the BADASS American adaptation by Adam Warren. It has some of the most hands-down awesome, over the top action scenes I've ever read.

Too bad that buried treasure is leaving us, but an entire articl about classic manga has me totally jazzed. Can;t what for it, or you eventual LOGH review. And thanks for putting up Bobby's in Deep, I never would have even known about it without this article. Thanks!
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
No more regular updates? I still look forward to this column in the future.

In the meantime, being big on manga, I can't wait for the new column :3 I bet he'll do a column on Banana Fish at some point, it seems to be an inevitability if you're talking about Buried Treasure for manga!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Good lord you've been writing Buried Treasure for 4+ plus years. Seems like yesterday you were just starting it. Well at least we will still get a little something now and then. It has always been interesting reading these so I am glad they won't be completely gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I wondered what was up with the lack of Treasure and Garbage recently. It's always a pleasure learning about older stuff that the fandom has forgotten. I look forward to whatever articles you are able to do in the future, they're much appreciated.

Meanwhile, until he reviews it, to everyone out there, watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes!!!

I've always been intrigued by Dirty Pair; I support anything with kickass female leads, especially ones working together. Though I worry that your endorsement of it might make the remaining DVDs disappear. I've certainly witnesses downloads on unavailabe things go through the roof after you recommend them. And obviously people will do that with this as well, even if there remain DVDs floating around. Such is the internet, unfortunately. Sad
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I'm sorry to see you go (though its been so long since the last one, I figured this was going to happen) I think the first Buried Treasure that caught my attention was your Venus Wars article ( As its my favorite anime movie ever), you've turned me over to a number of obscure shows and movies (and a few Garbage shows for comedic value) So... you will be missed.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
Dirty Pair: Project Eden was the very first non kiddified thing I had seen before and it blew my mind. The opening sequence was just mouthdropping, and while I don't have the old Streamline dub, I have the ADV release. Kudus to you sir for making this the last non-regular Buried Treasure, it was a good one.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
This is entirely understandable. Although there are hundreds of anime shows, there is only a handful that is licensed and actually worth writing about.

Over the last two plus years, I have enjoyed reading Buried Treasure, such a treat to read about older anime instead of newer anime for a change. No matter how "easy" writing looks, in no way, shape or form is it easy in the least to write an excellent article with descriptive detail and providing more factual information than opinion.

Anyone could write, but not just anyone could write a excellent column. Yes, excellent is a arbitrary word, but it enhances the quality of the author's work.

Again Justin, thanks for all your hard work over the years. I am sure the next column will be just as interesting.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
I just watched this two weeks ago (part of a weekly Asian film series I sometimes attend). It's actually the only Dirty Pair animation I've seen. I have to agree it is an 80's pop art master work, and not just the opening.

And no, the plot is not the important thing about the movie, it barely makes sense. It's fun and sexy/silly, aliens that look like a cross between the Aliens and the old school War of the Worlds movie Martians run around. Good stuff.

I'm surprised you didn't mention that Rightstuf just licensed the original TV series in your article though. If it does well I wonder if they will continue to pick up this movie and the other stuff too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Project Eden was the first comic-con bootleg VHS I ever bought. PERIOD.
Someone stuck a UY fansub as a bonus at the end, and that obsession came later.

("Buried Treasure"...<sob> That's like hearing your favorite high-school song on the Oldies station!) Sad

Quote:
Despite looking like they should be posing alongside a 1988 Dodge Daytona, the girls captured the imagination of early American anime fans, who were first tasting the possibilities of animated boobs and explosions....
And yet, Dirty Pair remains sublimely entertaining. A large part of the reason is the girls themselves. Watching them, you immediately recognize the interplay between two friends that have known each other so long and have such chemistry that they practically can reach each other's minds. Appearances aside, the girls are simply a lot of fun to be around.

That was my first experience with anime: (And I mean FIRST, this was in the days when Anime was badly-dubbed Robotech.)
Like most kids in the mainstream, was attracted by the horror stories of "Kewl, cartoon babes with boobs"...And found myself immediately attracted by the fact that these characters were so instantly funny and translatable, you knew what they were saying right away even if you were watching the anime raw and didn't know what they were saying.
You could be watching anime for the first time in your life, and the scene where the pop song drowns out Kei yelling at Yuri's driving crossed Pacific boundaries instantly.

Last edited by EricJ on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Iliketacos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Sad to find out that we won't be seeing anything new for a while. I really enjoyed these articles! I've been completley craving older titles latley so I'm always curious to know whats good out their that I haven't seen yet, or on the oposite side of the spectrum, whats absolute grabage that might give me a chuckle every now and then!
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
i just want to thankyou for all the great column from the past, i hope anncast works out and future projects work. i am still waiting on the epic LoGH
Dakaran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
I just went out of my way to watch the intro and episode 1, excellent anime and recommendation. The intro is very funny, haha. I read somewhere on the net right stuff is releasing it in fall so that's on my wish list. xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5