• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Shermanator Salvation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Well, I wouldn't be so hard on fansubs/pirate fans if people were actually buying stuff- a lot of people apparently aren't (and some make if very clear that they won't be buying anything), which is causing folks like Bandai to consider closign up shop. Stuff is available in less places, and a lot of that is due to lack of sales, which is what I've heard over and over from people who actually work in the industry. Like Meredith said last week, if you like it you should buy it.

And I figure w/piracy talk, we keep the issue out there for new fans who haven't made a decision about what kind of fan they are, so they can make the right choices for them [and hopefully buy stuff and get anime back in business, or at least support only the legal streaming offerings]. It's not like it's going to go away anytime soon, and we'll keep seeing it in the news a few times a month whether we talk about it or not.

I do think the whole underpants gnomes philosophy "xxx will fix the industry" is a nutty phenomenon though. These people don't work in the anime business, probably don't run real businesses, and have no idea how the industry actually works, or the costs involved in any form of anime distribution, dvd, online, tv or otherwise.

If these people spent the time they spent online whining about how to fix the industry at a parttime job, then used the $$$$ to buy anime, then they'd be fixing the industry Smile BUY STUFF, IT WORKS Smile

BTW---- RE:Rose of Versailles- go to your local library and try to get an interlibrary loan to read the Fred Schodt edition- there's a handful of libraries in the US that have it. You might have to pay for the loan for shipping fees, but that is an option.

But these people are so deeply entrenched in how they view the anime business, it reminds me of the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink." I'm all for honest discussion about problems, but people keep spouting off half baked solutions to problems that are so much bigger than "if Company X does this and makes this available, and catches up to the times, everything would be fine." Which it can't for a whole litany of issues. So we stay in the massive circle of blame game, and nothing will get discussed openly, which actually makes me pretty sad.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
theaustincritic wrote:
Watched Hetalia a week ago. DAMN was that show horrible. The jokes were way to random and seemed to just be based on stereotypes.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

"HAHAHA, IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE AMERICA IS STOOPID AND ALWAYS THINK THERE THE HEROES DURR HURR!!

And I love how they portrayed Japan and Germany as the "good-natured but quirky ones" (take note that the characters are based on their countries during WWII) Rolling Eyes

From what I've seen, a majority of the shows fanbase is mosly Yaoi fangirls. Not that there's anything wrong with them, just pointing it out.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Don't add Bandai to the graveyard fandom 0_o BUY their dvd's.

[pulls out wallet and buys FUNimation product while putting Bandai one step closer to the grave]

No way. I've felt Bandai's been devaluing their DVD sets for years now and I'm not going to assist with their decision. I understand costs need to be cut, but there is a limit to which prevents me from buying. Personally, I'll not shed a tear if this company goes the way of Geneon, especially if they're banking on MoSH to sell well. Sounds like Imagine with Astro Boy, doesn't it?

It seems fans are going to vote with their wallet with the second season, and that's precisely what they should be doing. If they didn't like the Endless Eight arc, they shouldn't feel they have to buy the product to "support" Bandai. Though I will be curious to see how season 3 gets released if Bandai remains.

The fansub remarks by Eric were interesting. Yesterday, I read an interesting take on gaming piracy and was very impressed by the logic behind the blog. Applying this logic to the anime industry, I still can't see how this will help Bang!Zoom.

I just don't believe anime's going to hit the pre-burst numbers for a long time. Eric's right to say there's just so many problems to "fix" the industry, and customers are just a part of that problem since they're not buying.

Consumers, however, are having a field day. An interesting thought occurred to me while reading the article above: how many fan sub users actually download the series? That's a pretty important question, given if they're not downloading it, they simply do not want it. That's where the consumer and customer line gets drawn.

Monetizing consumers, not customers, is the challenge and it's going to be interesting to see new ideas to turn consumers into customers. Especially when so many sites are now trying to wall their content.

At any rate, nothing to do now but ride this rollercoaster until it comes to a stop.

I didn't know there was an issue over the dubbing of Nanoha and Familiar of Zero. I still don't know the gist (nor do I want to, so save the typing on this) but found it weird such past events are still being thought of as an issue. I liked the dubs of both, so no complaints here.

Another good podcast, guys. Again, thanks for the mp3 download option. I can listen while at work. Smile

Finally, I just have to say this: Videoscan can't claim copyright on factual data. Well, at least here in the US anyway. I can't believe this company has the balls to tell its users they can't do with the data they paid for. I can only assume the copyright restriction is based on Canadian law, not US law (where many cases have failed to claim copyright on facts).
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...
Quote:
Price point is a really big problem; Anime is still too expensive

Are you kidding me? Anime in the US is already DIRT CHEAP. The product has already been devalued past the point profitability, and you're saying it's "still too expensive"!? Does. Not. Compute.

Relatively speaking, I can get four seasons of Farscape for the same price I would pay for two anime box sets.
I love anime, and I buy a lot of it, but it is expensive, even if people say "it's more expensive in Japan" or "it was more expensive fifteen years ago", all of that does not matter. There can be no denying that anime is still expensive.

Yeah, but farscape went off the air years ago and has been in print long enough that price reduction kicks in.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Personally, I'll not shed a tear if this company goes the way of Geneon, especially if they're banking on MoSH to sell well. Sounds like Imagine with Astro Boy, doesn't it?
Sounds nothing alike. Haruhi is of the most popular franchises today which would sell extremely well if people actually bought anime while Astro Boy is a franchise that very few people care about.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Apparently I'm the only person who likes Endless Eight.

Guess i'm buying 2 or 3 sets when it comes out.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Sounds nothing alike. Haruhi is of the most popular franchises today which would sell extremely well if people actually bought anime while Astro Boy is a franchise that very few people care about.

My remarks had nothing to do with the series but the decisions to which things are carried out, so yes, there are comparisons.

If Bandai's stating "if Haruhi doesn't do well, that's it.", then they are placing their eggs into one basket (probably shaped like Haruhi in a bunny outfit).

In other words, why just one title? Why not make a statement "If these titles don't sell..."?

The remark about a single title doesn't instill confidence in the series nor the company. "If"? What the hell happened to "When"?

I didn't take Eric's comments to mean Bandai's out of the NA market, just that they're no longer going to dub for the NA market ever again.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I've got Bad Lieutenant on my rental list. Nicholas Cage is tremendously hit or miss but most of those hit's involve him being crazy.

Huh, I guess I'll see Arion. Sounds interesting.

Wow. Did Zac and Justin switch personalities? Normally it's Zac who hate hate hates stuff and Justin is slightly more forgiving.

Now he's going to act like a martyr? Come on. He said something silly and alarmist. Don't try to play it off as an attempt to generate discussion or as saying something that 'needed to be said'. Both those things could be accomplished much better by making a more grounded statement.

Wow, that's so weird. That exact $20 bill example had just occurred to me a couple weeks ago.

Crap...If Bandai goes down and Media Blasters is on shaky ground then that just leaves Funimation, Viz and S23. Viz only does a few big name titles. I don't hate Funimation but I'm not exactly crazy about them having a near monopoly. I'm glad at least S23 seems to have successfully transitioned from a reanimated corpse to an actual company.

Ranma824 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...
Quote:
Price point is a really big problem; Anime is still too expensive

Are you kidding me? Anime in the US is already DIRT CHEAP. The product has already been devalued past the point profitability, and you're saying it's "still too expensive"!? Does. Not. Compute.

I think it computes pretty well. As you said, anime has already been extremely devalued because it's available free online. Obviously this means that people consider the prices on DVDs expensive. Hence, lowering the prices to at least come closer to the perceived value may need to be considered.
Chibitoon

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
For Hetalia, I would suggest looking up the manga first.. not the newly licensed version (that is not even out yet) but the fan translations. While the anime is just animated versions of the strips and that's it, the manga actually gives explanations (aka mini-history lessons) to what you just saw.

It's also very interesting if you are a history-buff... and it completely ruins your vision of the countries, too. (I must say...Hetalia made the Winter Olympics ten times more interesting to watch. LOL Anime hyper )

Oh! And also... if you read the manga version, you will find that ALL the countries are picked-on.... not just every country except Japan. One thing I have noticed in the anime is during the segments involving Japan and America...they leave out most of the jokes on Japan's society and pick on America instead. The manga equally picks on both countries.

Last edited by Chibitoon on Fri May 07, 2010 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Finally, I just have to say this: Videoscan can't claim copyright on factual data. Well, at least here in the US anyway. I can't believe this company has the balls to tell its users they can't do with the data they paid for. I can only assume the copyright restriction is based on Canadian law, not US law (where many cases have failed to claim copyright on facts).

I don't think Videoscan has a copyright to its numbers, more than likely its a TOS contract when you sign up and pay them 70 grand for access. Just imagine if you were a publicly traded company, and your sales numbers got leaked. The whole "corporate info is NOT to be released AT ALL" spiel is for good reason, don't want the stockholders to spiral into a panic because some chucklehead decided it would be good for his company to make another look bad.

And about the whole "anime is expensive" line...prices have gone down considerably since early 2000, with half season sets and what not. Does Bang Zoom really want prices to go down even more, which would mean dubs would be the first to go, which puts them right back in its curren situation? Subbed anime is pretty unreachable outside of the fandom, so expensive dubs are the only way to generate outsider interest, which doesn't seem likely these days.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
And about the whole "anime is expensive" line...prices have gone down considerably since early 2000, with half season sets and what not. Does Bang Zoom really want prices to go down even more, which would mean dubs would be the first to go, which puts them right back in its curren situation? Subbed anime is pretty unreachable outside of the fandom, so expensive dubs are the only way to generate outsider interest, which doesn't seem likely these days.

You're mistakenly equating price with total revenue. Obviously nobody would want to see revenue (the total they bring in from sales of a series) decrease. However, a lower price does not inherently mean less total revenue. If the price is lower then more people will buy the product. If this increase in sales is enough to offset the decrease in price then the total revenues will be greater. Hence, optimizing revenues is all about finding the ideal price point. In the case of anime, it may in fact be a lower price than what we currently see.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't finish the episode in the morning, so I've got about 40% to listen to still. I haven't tried Hetalia yet, but now I'm rather worried. I guess I'll take the plunge this weekend and see what I think...

PetrifiedJello wrote:

It seems fans are going to vote with their wallet with the second season, and that's precisely what they should be doing. If they didn't like the Endless Eight arc, they shouldn't feel they have to buy the product to "support" Bandai. Though I will be curious to see how season 3 gets released if Bandai remains.

To be fair, I don't think the call is that people should buy a product that they hate or think they'll hate. If not Haruhi S2, then some other ongoing release or a past release that a fan may be procrastinating on: Sword of the Stranger, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Freedom, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam 00, PlanetES, Zeta Gundam (the series or movies), Escaflowne, Gurren Lagann, etc etc.

It also pays to remember how they have the Haruhi Suzumiya **movie**, which from everything I've read sounds like a return to (or a surpassing of) past quality that hasn't attracted any of the negative controversy that the second season did. Even if I end up not buying Haruhi S2, I'd absolutely pick up the film to go alongside my collection of the first series.

I do wonder about the Haruhi-chan shorts. I worry that those would be another Lucky Star if they were released by themselves. If they were packaged with the second season, though, that could offer some good extra incentive to grab it.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Apparently I'm the only person who likes Endless Eight.

Guess i'm buying 2 or 3 sets when it comes out.

I don't have a particular fondness for Endless Eight, but I didn't really have a problem with it either. It's kind of ridiculous how people have to keep bringing it up. Don't like it, don't watch, don't buy it, but don't troll about it constantly either. It's over now. It's not like it's the only thing Bandai is releasing now anyway. Even disregarding the rest of the whole 2009 season (which I thought was perfectly fine too), they do apparently have the license to the movie, which I am very much looking forward to seeing. I'm happy that they are actually getting a dub too (rarity for Bandai these days), so this was going to be a very high priority buy for me whether I knew Bandai was in trouble or not.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
FaytLein wrote:

You're mistakenly equating price with total revenue. Obviously nobody would want to see revenue (the total they bring in from sales of a series) decrease. However, a lower price does not inherently mean less total revenue. If the price is lower then more people will buy the product. If this increase in sales is enough to offset the decrease in price then the total revenues will be greater. Hence, optimizing revenues is all about finding the ideal price point. In the case of anime, it may in fact be a lower price than what we currently see.

However, you're missing one vital component.

Cost.

Cost is a fixed rate, depending on how much work has been put into your product. If you need to sell 20,000 copies at 30 bucks a pop to turn a profit on your product, cutting prices in half means you have to sell twice as much product to make a profit. Now, in most business circles, this is a valid strategy, but in the anime world, where ever dwindling sales are rampant, cutting prices isn't a good idea, but cutting cost is. And if dubbing is a significant cost, companies would rather cut that than try to move twice as much product at a lower price point.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
There are a few things that interest me about the whole Bandai thing.

First and foremost is if Bandai does get out of the game how will that affect Aniplex? Would Bandai continue to sell for Aniplex if they themselves were no longer in the game? Makes little sense to me to do so however I am not exactly business savvy so I wouldn't know.

Now on to the whole Depending on Haruhi. He said they were depending on Haruhi/Haruhi-chan and one other license.

Now alot of people thought that if anyone every licensed K-ON! it would be Bandai because of their relationship with the kyoani. If K-ON is indeed the other show it will be interesting to see what happens. The show is massively popular but will that translate into sales? However this is all hypothetical as we still don't know what that other license is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10