• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KN_guro

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
I only read this column for the flakes. Wheres the damn flake I was promised?!
slipperybogle

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
For dub/sub I find I tend to prefer whichever I happen to hear first. Dubs can definitely help with watching shows that you're aren't really into because you can divide your attention easier.

Definitely feel what "Mike" is saying about Hell Girl. I guess it didn't do so well for funimation which is unfortunate because it apparently made it onto to TV--although IFC's schedule for anime is pretty confusing.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
nishime wrote:

I thought there was some understanding amongst scanlators that once a series was announced as licensed and began production of actual physical volumes, the scanlations would stop?

Ahaha, nope. Most scanlators are in it for the epeen boost so they'll keep right on going even after a property has been licensed for distribution in the US. Note that this refers to scanlators translating it into English. Yes, I know the US is hardly the only English speaking nation in the world, but that's who these groups are catering to, let's not mince words.

So, in short, most scanlators are not as noble as you'd like to think they are.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
If I had remembered as well, I would have put my two cents in last week.

As for my DVD/BD preference, it doesn't come down to the sub or dub, it comes down to price and if the turnaround time from announcing the license to releasing the DVD is acceptable (within four to six months). Although those criteria I have for releases are nine times out of ten going to be sub-only releases. That's fine by me, because I'm paying to see the anime, not paying to hear an English voice actor.

You know what is more saddening than anything about this dub/sub debacle? When dub fans clamor for more dubs and when they get them, they say "not interested, but if you go back and dub such and such, I'll buy it" -- that's on the same level as sub fans not buying DVDs because it has a dub. Send a message to the company - buy all of them or don't buy them at all. 'm doing the same actually, but I'm supporting and buying the sub-only releases. Well, because they are cheaper and faster releases. There is no middle ground and if you are truly passionate, you have a darn good chance at getting what you want. Both radical sides aren't supporting anime in general. There's more to anime than hearing Vic Mignogna, Luci Christian and Greg Ayres. There's the reason you bought the DVD in the first place -- the anime itself. If you've seen and liked what you saw, buy and support the series, whether it be sub-only or not.
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I suppose Brian missed the article where researchers found that manga sales were down in Japan because of the economic recession. You really going to try and tell people it's too much of a leap to make the same conclusion here?
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I am a sub-lover, but I am saddened to see anime fans saying they may stop watching due to lack of dubs.

I think that the way legal streaming is taking off offers a new opportunity in this area: Crunchyroll or whoever could commission "pilot" dubs, i.e. dubs for the first episode of each series. Then viewers could vote for which dub they want to see completed.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Satsujinki wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Do people really find it hard to read sub text?

I couldn't help but ask myself the same thing several times throughout that section. Not only do I read quickly, but there's this thing called peripheral vision that does wonders.

Some people will admittedly have problems with eyesight or dyslexia, or whatever, which make things difficult for them. I can also understand some people who don't enjoy reading finding it distracting, I guess.

Thank you for mentioning dyslexia. Every time I've seen the dub vs. sub question raised, I'm always surprised when no one makes mention of this. Dyslexia, learning disorders, attention deficit disorders, bad eyesight etc. are all issues that make it nearly mandatory for an anime to have a dub track in my household, otherwise someone is missing out.
I can understand the idea behind wanting to see an anime as it was intended to be seen, with the Japanese voices... but not being Japanese myself, I'd rather hear it in my native language. The story is (usually) the same in the end, and that's what really matters. The story, not the language it's told in.
That's my opinion anyway. Very Happy
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Man, Brian's getting sloppy. First he posts the same question twice, and now he forgets the Flake of the Week. :oops:

actually the flake of the week i got was SO heinous that there was an editorial decision made to simply cut it.

(guess i should've changed the blurb on the front page, though. whoops!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

actually the flake of the week i got was SO heinous that there was an editorial decision made to simply cut it.

Way to arouse our curiosity!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
No kidding. How about a quick summery?
drweeaboo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
I'm fluent in both English and Japanese, but I prefer to watch anime in Japanese without subtitles, partly because English and Japanese do not translate into each other directly very well so what's being said in Japanese and written in English, while similar in some sense, are usually different enough to be distracting. Sometimes the subtitles can be useful because if there's a TV broadcast happening in the episode in the background, you can't always hear what they're saying.

But actually, I have a very strange reason for preferring the Japanese track. I think it has something to do with the recording process, but there's something about the quality of the recording that sounds different to me and bothers me. It has nothing to do with the skill or quality of the voice actors in either language. I have a similar problem with listening to the radio so who knows, maybe it's some weird personal quirk?

That being said, I think dubs have come a long way from when I was a kid and, if I had the time, there are some I would definitely watch in both languages. I also really like to watch shows in other languages that I know like French and Spanish or in ones that I don't, like German.

The only thing I absolutely cannot stand is reading subtitles and watching a show that are both in different second languages that I know. If the show is in English or the subtitles are in English, that's fine, but if the show is in Japanese and the subtitles are in Spanish, my brain just starts exploding. If I can't read the subtitles, then it's fine, but my mind just does not like translating two different languages at once.

What's really funny is watching an English movie or show in English with Japanese subtitles. English vernacular does not translate very well into Japanese at all.

What I think would be neat, if unlikely, would be if some company created a (legal) online streaming anime site that allowed fan groups to dub the tracks themselves.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
People should do themselves, and the anime community, a favor and learn Japanese. Anime "fans" who are only "dub" fans and complain about subtitles no longer need to complain if they can actually understand what's going on, in the language it was intended by the creators, with actors whose livelihood is to voice game, anime, and movie characters, whose voices embody the actual characters (compared to, bar one or two, most of the American VAs, who read lines off a script, and end up dubbing every show in existence with the same generic shounen or shoujo voice because being a marketable VOICE actor in the US is impossible).

Everyone who got into anime in the West probably grew up on Cartoon network. But there's a time to set your childish memories aside and actually take an interest in *gasp* something you're interested in. It's the line between people who, out of genuine interest, took college level Japanese classes despite the extra hours and cost, so they could enjoy more of what they love. Versus people who just couldn't be bothered, didn't want to put EFFORT into something they allegedly loved, etc (yeah, you're reading this right...dub fans are LAZY).

To call Japanese voice actors "high pitched/squeaky" is insulting, racial stereotyping, and offensive to me as a fan (not to mention, offensive to all fans of Anime from WHERE ANIME COMES FROM).

It's those dub-only fans that I'm always glad to see shut aside at the Day Care Pan- er... excuse me, Vic Micnogna Panel at conventions. Clears up the lines for panels and signings of people who actually created and voiced the original source works.

Trolling aside, lack of dubs:

-Kills the price. Japanese fans would DIE for a FULL SEASON of anime at half the price of a Single DVD. And I would gladly buy tons of anime at the amazing deal price we're getting...thanks to sub-only releases.

-Kills the cost. No need for companies to pay American Actors. More profit. Less "omg Anime Ameri-Doomsday".

-Maybe for once, can acculturate the rest of the American Anime community with the real roots of WHAT they're fans of...and maybe they'll learn a few words of Japanese, more than "yaoi, baka, and sushi".
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
People should do themselves, and the anime community, a favor and learn Japanese. Anime "fans" who are only "dub" fans and complain about subtitles no longer need to complain if they can actually understand what's going on, in the language it was intended by the creators, with actors whose livelihood is to voice game, anime, and movie characters, whose voices embody the actual characters (compared to, bar one or two, most of the American VAs, who read lines off a script, and end up dubbing every show in existence with the same generic shounen or shoujo voice because being a marketable VOICE actor in the US is impossible).

Everyone who got into anime in the West probably grew up on Cartoon network. But there's a time to set your childish memories aside and actually take an interest in *gasp* something you're interested in. It's the line between people who, out of genuine interest, took college level Japanese classes despite the extra hours and cost, so they could enjoy more of what they love. Versus people who just couldn't be bothered, didn't want to put EFFORT into something they allegedly loved, etc (yeah, you're reading this right...dub fans are LAZY).

To call Japanese voice actors "high pitched/squeaky" is insulting, racial stereotyping, and offensive to me as a fan (not to mention, offensive to all fans of Anime from WHERE ANIME COMES FROM).

It's those dub-only fans that I'm always glad to see shut aside at the Day Care Pan- er... excuse me, Vic Micnogna Panel at conventions. Clears up the lines for panels and signings of people who actually created and voiced the original source works.

Trolling aside, lack of dubs:

-Kills the price. Japanese fans would DIE for a FULL SEASON of anime at half the price of a Single DVD. And I would gladly buy tons of anime at the amazing deal price we're getting...thanks to sub-only releases.

-Kills the cost. No need for companies to pay American Actors. More profit. Less "omg Anime Ameri-Doomsday".

-Maybe for once, can acculturate the rest of the American Anime community with the real roots of WHAT they're fans of...and maybe they'll learn a few words of Japanese, more than "yaoi, baka, and sushi".

1. People can be just as much of fans even if they prefer dubs. It's a matter of personal taste, neither preference makes one group more of a fan.

2. Personal preferences aren't childish. It's what someone prefers, so you're in no position to condescend to them.

3. Most dub fans don't consider the Japanese actors to be squeaky or whatever, and it's just as insulting for you to say that all the R1 actors just read off a script and don't put in any effort. If you're that concerned with insults, try to be the bigger person and not insult others.

4. Like you said, you're a troll.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:

To call Japanese voice actors "high pitched/squeaky" is insulting, racial stereotyping, and offensive to me as a fan

Just like those who stereotype dub VAs, yes? Laughing

LiuXuande wrote:

Not necessarily. Depends on the licensing costs. Shows that are sub-only tend to be not widely marketable and thus lower licensing cost and thus lower price point. Meanwhile, shows like Evangelion and the Ghibli films --whose licenses cost a fortune-- have to be either sold sub-only at a high price point to make up for the license expense or include a dub for the masses that can be sold at a lower price point.

LiuXuande wrote:

-Kills the cost. No need for companies to pay American Actors. More profit.

Again, not necessarily. Depends on the sales. If there are not enough sales, the profit may be lower. Again using the Ghibli films as an example, Disney pays the VAs a lot of money for an anime, but the films sell in the millions, so Disney actually makes a lot more profit. Basically: lower risk --> lower profit, higher risk --> higher profit.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Good thing there are people who can reply calmly to anti-dub trolls like that. When I first read his post, I got really mad. Good thing my visually-impaired husband who can't read subtitles came home and calmed me down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4