• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
I suppose Brian missed the article where researchers found that manga sales were down in Japan because of the economic recession. You really going to try and tell people it's too much of a leap to make the same conclusion here?

You've got a point there. Scantilations could be contributing, but so is the economy and lack of interest. Some people aren't interested in manga anymore.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Good thing there are people who can reply calmly to anti-dub trolls like that. When I first read his post, I got really mad. Good thing my visually-impaired husband who can't read subtitles came home and calmed me down.

Yeah, I had to restrain myself a bit. Being called lazy and not a true fan because of my preference is pretty upsetting.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
drweeaboo wrote:
But actually, I have a very strange reason for preferring the Japanese track. I think it has something to do with the recording process, but there's something about the quality of the recording that sounds different to me and bothers me. It has nothing to do with the skill or quality of the voice actors in either language. I have a similar problem with listening to the radio so who knows, maybe it's some weird personal quirk?

I've noticed this as well, and I'm surprised it doesn't get commented on more. Voice recording on dubs usually sounds kind of thin (lacking midrange?), and are somehow annoying in the high frequencies (haven't done a waveform analysis). Japanese voicetracks OTOH sound comparatively rich and warm (although current watch Kanon 2006 seems annoyingly "Western" in its voicetrack sound).
sdhd

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised that Hollywood, the music companies, and the anime industry along with the book/manga publishers do not lobby congress to pass laws in regards to sites that host illegal contents. The law is the only way these companies will win and close the door on intellectual properties infringements.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
3. Most dub fans don't consider the Japanese actors to be squeaky or whatever, and it's just as insulting for you to say that all the R1 actors just read off a script and don't put in any effort.

Note that dubbing solo clips is harder to act than having the voice actors together in a studio. While I normally prefer the voice acting in the sub - with a few scattered exceptions like Cowboy Bebop - I also liked the voice acting in Bee Movie, which had a lot of studio performance of pairs of voice actors.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And finally, Laurel abhors something. Abhors it!

To be completely honest, I abhor subs. The squeaky, ill-fitting voices, the little lines of text on the bottom of my screen, and the… ugh… reading… No, sir! I don't like it!

That being the case, I would definitely not buy a show if it were available as sub-only, no matter how much I loved it. Money is a precious commodity that I don't get a lot of, so I can't afford to use it up on something that will irritate me. If I, even for a moment, think of delaying on watching an anime (that I purchased), just because I can't stand the formatting, then it really wasn't worth it. So sorry, Japanophiles, fan-subbers, and sub-fans alike, you can keep your crummy reading, and I'll get to watch all the action! Because subs may be for you, and you, and you, and you, but they're not for me.

I agree with you somewhat. Just like you I am also a hardcore dubber myself ,but it's not that I do like subs,I just haven't gotten use to the subs. Also it's a lot more comftortable to watch it in your native language. the only subs i've ever watched was all 13 eps of Genshiken at Manganext 2006 as well as subs of Sailor Moon , R , S and Super S with my sister and Hulu's release of Naruto Shippuden cause those disney xd edits was too much even for me . Just as bad as 4kids.

However, like yourself , it's only english dubs for me 100%. At least until I get use to subs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
I am surprised that Hollywood, the music companies, and the anime industry along with the book/manga publishers do not lobby congress to pass laws in regards to sites that host illegal contents. The law is the only way these companies will win and close the door on intellectual properties infringements.

They already passed a law, Digital Millenium Copyright Act, "DMCA". Problem is that the way its set up is biased toward the big players in the industry, and harder for the small players to use to their advantage. Disney or the NFL have more people working in their copyright infringement divisions than the entire staff of most US anime distributors or manga publishers (and anime distributors and manga publishers that have not closed have been downsizing - VizMedia is the latest announcement).

The music companies were massive on "fighting piracy", and so was the movie industry, and with much bigger budgets than US anime or manga companies, they largely failed in their objectives to stop file sharing.

So the focus shifted to cultivating the ways to generate revenue that either cannot be pirated or where pirates cannot corner the audience leaving them outside the market looking in. Live shows for music, theater ticket sales for movies, and of course broadcast and narrowcast revenues.

If anime fans wanted to, for the shows that have legit streams and that have rights owners willing to send in the DMCA letters to the big video uploads sites and then follow up with a meeting with their lawyers if necessary - MySpace, Megavideo and Veoh are the biggest "free harbors" - they could protect their favorite shows from head to head competition by leech streaming sites by mining the actual streaming links from the leech streaming sites and feeding it back to the distributor holding rights. An active group of five could easily keep up with twenty or thirty sites doing leech streams of their favorite show - and because the leech sites share or steal links from each other, have knock on effect on lots more.

If its just the company, I'm not sure whether anyone other than Funimation would have the resources to do that on their own.
catanaition

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I am not up to paying for something I won't use so I am enjoying paid streaming and sub-only DVD releases.

With these two things going on I am definitely spending more on anime this year than I have in... well probably since 2005. I just wish Funi would stream to Canada because I would love to watch Saraiya Goyou through them.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
catanaition wrote:
To be honest, I am not up to paying for something I won't use so I am enjoying paid streaming and sub-only DVD releases.

It doesn't increase the cost of producing each disk - its a fixed cost that (hopefully) expands the market. Its the dub-only market that either pays for (or more recently fails to pay for) the dub. The sub-only market gets the dub on the hybrid releases for free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4