• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Streams of Cross Game Baseball Anime in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
When FUNi had said they weren't interested in sports anime after Big Windup didn't perform as well as they had hoped I thought all hope was lost. Then Viz comes and saves the day! Very happy to see them stepping up to license this series. I've already seen it and look forward to the manga release, but I'll watch it again, it's been a year since the first episode aired and worth repeating.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
YES!! I hope this does well enough to see a dvd release later on. Maybe even bring out Adachi's other series as well (Touch please!)
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
If this comes out in DVD/Blu Ray, I'm totally buying this. Looking forward to the manga as well.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Cross Game was a really enjoyable anime, and you don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy it. This was my first "sports centric" anime that I watched and found the author's focus on relationships and sports to be well balanced.

The first episode hooked me so much that I was committed so see the series through. Though I'm not specifically thrilled that it ended (I selfishly wanted more of the series) I'm glad to see it getting some exposure in the US.

For those addicted to 100% full throttle, fast pace anime, this might be too low key for you. However, for those who enjoy a solid story, great character development and good action - then be sure to check out Cross Game. A wonderful anime

~td99

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
does this mean viz has already licensed this for dvds to be released in the US? i hope so ' coz this is sooooo gooood!
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Viz might be the ONLY company out there who still wishes to give sports anime a try every now and then.
Eyeshield 21, Slam Dunk (not anime, but I wish), Hikaru no Go, Whistle (same as SD), and Prince of Tennis are all prime examples of this.
And while they do get released slower than others, the still DO it.

While I haven't started Cross Game or Touch yet (it's being downloaded to my PS3 as I speak), it sounds superb, and sports does nothing to dissuade me from it.

Quote:
It is, at worst, one of the best series of the past year.

What do you mean by that?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
does this mean viz has already licensed this for dvds to be released in the US? i hope so ' coz this is sooooo gooood!

No this means they only have streaming rights. They could later pick up the rights, or it could end up like Eyeshield 21 and the ultimately drop it. But sports anime don't have a strong record in the US, so I wouldn't expect a DVD release anytime soon, least of all from Viz.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Viz might be the ONLY company out there who still wishes to give sports anime a try every now and then.
Eyeshield 21, Slam Dunk (not anime, but I wish), Hikaru no Go, Whistle (same as SD), and Prince of Tennis are all prime examples of this.

Uh, no. Prince of Tennis and Hikago's DVD releases stopped and were never heard from again, and Eyeshield is being put out by Sentai. Viz is by far the worst company at not finishing what they start, in ALL genres. At least Funi didn't quit halfway through a season with Big Windup!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Yay! Always wanted to watch this show, but didn't wanna watch fansubs, so this is great. Hopefully, if Viz decides to do a dvd release, they won't botch it (Monster Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ).

How did they botch Monster? I have the first box set and it plays fine. I haven"t heard anything about Viz canceling future releases (though they seem to be taking their sweet time about it...).
Keyl

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Parvati-IV wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:

Uh, no. Prince of Tennis and Hikago's DVD releases stopped and were never heard from again, and Eyeshield is being put out by Sentai. Viz is by far the worst company at not finishing what they start, in ALL genres. At least Funi didn't quit halfway through a season with Big Windup!

well Funi kinda did that now with the second season of Big Windup. at least Viz came pretty far with PoT and Hikaru no go (both went over 30+ episodes). Anyways love the manga and the anime and i hope they release the anime someday! we need more Adachi love outside of Japan.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
How did they botch Monster? I have the first box set and it plays fine. I haven"t heard anything about Viz canceling future releases (though they seem to be taking their sweet time about it...).

While most of the series has aired on Sy Fy's Ani-Monday block, Viz has yet to announce a future release for the later episodes on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

The Slam Dunk anime being released by Viz would've been no different from how Toei USA released it years ago (except maybe better produced discs) and it would've been cancelled either way.

Parvati-IV wrote:

Quoted For Truth!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Keyl wrote:

well Funi kinda did that now with the second season of Big Windup. at least Viz came pretty far with PoT and Hikaru no go (both went over 30+ episodes). Anyways love the manga and the anime and i hope they release the anime someday! we need more Adachi love outside of Japan.

But wasn't the second season announced after Funi got the first season? It seems unfair to detract them for that, especially when it ended up not selling well. Also, Funi has licensed long series, such as Dragon Ball.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Momentarily, I was ecstatic. Until I realized that all of Viz Media's titles are only streamed on Hulu. I Live in Canada, yet even here it says "This Video is Not Available in Your Area" and unlike Funimation, Viz only streams their titles on Hulu. Meaning I will have to wait for the DVDs to be released before I even get a glimpse of this series! Evil or Very Mad
krpalmer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Having managed to see the Touch anime before and having enjoyed it made me interested in Cross Game, and I enjoyed it as well for reasons subtly different yet in many ways similar to the older anime. I suppose I had a sort of "it seems so unlikely it'll ever get licensed over here, but wouldn't that be great!" feeling... the only problem is the suspicions of everyone else about Viz kind of deflates enthusiasm. Still, what's already happened was something, so who can say what else might happen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4