• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Ban in Albuquerque High Schools Fails Vote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wb

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
The student that was all over the news in Pittsburgh, PA from Avonworth Middle School, was unfairly dragged thru the mud. The news refused to report the whole story. This kid has a brain injury that he sustained a year ago from a car accident. Another student gave it to him as a birthday gift. The parents of that student never asked the parents if it was ok - they are nurses and know of the brain injury. They also allowed their daughter to bring into school girls shirts for the boy just to make fun of him...bottom line, eventhough the news did not report the whole story, the community and school district, and local authorities know more about the kid who was suspended for possesing DeathNote than the girl who supplied it. The crime is in irresponsible reporting and parental ignorance. It is a shame that this student has been thru hell in the last year only to have irresponsible reporting make his life even more difficult....not to mention the fact that this kid has 2 siblings that have suffered as well.
wb

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
...o yes, for all of those curious....the beebs was on that list because his little sister sings this boys songs over and over and over and over...for real....and again, the boy that was suspended has undergone testing...the girl and her parents who supplied it have not...umm perhaps the danger lies in ignorance. i am way more scared of this girl than the boy...she is sick
tyciol

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RRcMLAVR4 it's a neat review.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque...
TenkenSmile

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm an adult and not a simpleton, I enjoy sophisticated adult forms of entertainment even if they and often even because they examine, portray or try to understand the darker sides of life. A lot of things I do, read, listen to and watch are not suitable for kids but that's not my responsibility. I'll never expose kids to any of it and in a free society that's how far my responsibility should go. The idea to ban certain ideas or cultural expressions to protect kids is a sell out of artistic freedom, a negation of parental responsibility and an end to the whole concept of a free country. Furthermore it simply doesn't work, there's no way to ban anything that could possibly influence some kid in a negative way without resorting to extreme censorship like in the dark ages. Books don't lead people to commit atrocities like that school shooting. Millions probably read the same without getting this idea. The book is not the problem, the individual and his direct social circle is. Apparently they failed him.
TheGruntKing

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
progSHELL wrote:
Is it just me, or does Justin whatshisname bear an uncanny resemblance to Light Yagami?
Evil or Very Mad im disapointed in you you should know that justin beiber is way to gay to even remotly look like light Evil or Very Mad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
TheGruntKing wrote:
progSHELL wrote:
Is it just me, or does Justin whatshisname bear an uncanny resemblance to Light Yagami?

Evil or Very Mad im disapointed in you you should know that justin beiber is way to gay to even remotly look like light Evil or Very Mad

Light is gay. Laughing
smokahontas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I laughed when I read this. Why do the police have to get invovled? And two kids got aressed? really? I mean jeez its not like they did anything bad all they did was write some names big deal.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, god. Don't revive an article with Justin Bieber's image. Us common folks already go through hell just to avoid it every day like satan himself.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Government-run compulsory schooling is bad enough as it is. At least they didn't make it any worse... this time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5