• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$3.5-Million Loss in 1st Quarter 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Master

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
If the licenses are a pure percentage of the gross, then they do not need deep pockets to land the deal, only the promise of airtime that can generate ad revenue.

I see, sadly business wasn't my major, so I wouldn't know how it excatly works.

I can see 4Kids doing excellent in the Anime industry if they had their anime avalible in bilingual DVDs. I can understand the censoring was done for TV purposes, but I don't think it's fare for the DVDs to have the same thing shown on TV with the edits. Then again I have seen other non-4kids anime with dub only DVDs except the censoring wasn't too harsh.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
I'm scared. Licensing shows for 'broarder audiences' sounds like a good thing, but that doesn't mean unaltered. They could still have name changes and other americanization, which is a bad thing. as for the 8 kids properties, they're likley to be things other licensors are uninterested in, but not neccessarily. Could also be bad, and 12 titles at once for a studio known for butchering... I know there's a chance this'll work, but the odds aren't great...

You're right... I'm really, really scared... Like, 12 properties? Isn't that more than they've EVER OWNED? Not to mention they've taken back Ojamajo Doremi! That's it. I'm starting a petition. I'm not going to let them start this anymore.

Edit: There is a petition! And we could make this go further. Let's beat this!

http://www.petitiononline.com/mankin/petition.html
karvelot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
My message to 4Kids Entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPd_Ktr7FWk Twisted Evil
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
karvelot wrote:
My message to 4Kids Entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPd_Ktr7FWk Twisted Evil
I would typically agree but I would like to see if they really do plan on releasing anime under the 4Sight label.
Yamimori

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting on 4kids to sink now.

I don't care about 4Sight; I don't trust it. I'd rather stick to fansubs.

I love anime as much as the rest of you, but I'm a fan of animation in general, too.
It's not just Japanese anime they've ruined.

Practically everything 4kids gets their grimy hands on is from another country, and is butchered up to an unrecognizable mess.

We all know the tragedies of One Piece, Ojamajo DoReMi (which I watched the original Japaneseversoin of), Tokyo Mew Mew, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc., but Chaotic is from Denmark, and Winx Club from Italy...the only thing American from 4Kids I can think of is Viva Pinata, and even as a kid, I wondered..."wtf is this?"

By removing rice balls (or "donuts"), they're just not letting children be exposed to other cultures, also.

C'mon, why is American television censoring blood and violence, when any 10 year old can just switch the channel to MTV and watch a reality show about pregnant teens?

4Kids and their editing deserve to fall, and I'm just waiting to see it happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I could really see them getting acquired by Saban's new company. It seems like it would be a perfect fit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4