Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars to be Screened in London in May




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rinkwolf



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 387

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
So let me get this sraight, this movie has awards to it's name and the people involved have made big name works, yet no one in R1 sees this as a good investment?
Also, are they insulting this movie by screening it in Subs, as if it doesn't warrant a dub?

Where are every R1 anime licensing company looking at the moment, when this movie is obviously waving a huge "Big Success" flag?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7751

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
So let me get this sraight, this movie has awards to it's name and the people involved have made big name works, yet no one in R1 sees this as a good investment?
Also, are they insulting this movie by screening it in Subs, as if it doesn't warrant a dub?

Where are every R1 anime licensing company looking at the moment, when this movie is obviously waving a huge "Big Success" flag?


In what way is it insulting to watch a movie in subs? As for licensing, there's so few players right now, so if FUNi passes that's probably about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6193
Location: IL

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
Bandai had the best shot, since they were the ones who got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. However, since they don't exactly have a firm financial grounding who knows who will end up with it. I have to imagine that FUNi is trying to save up for whatever ridiculous amount Studio Khara and the other Japanese companies involved will be asking for the license to Eva 2.0...

Summer Wars was an okay movie, but I (personally) don't think it was up there with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xagor



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
It's also showing at the BFI on the Saturday before then as part of their anime weekend, alongside EVA 1.0, 2.0, Welcome to the Space Show, Professor Layton, Chocolate Underground and Stormy Night.

Also Manga has Summer Wars for the UK so I'm sure someone will get it for the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rinkwolf



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 387

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
So let me get this sraight, this movie has awards to it's name and the people involved have made big name works, yet no one in R1 sees this as a good investment?
Also, are they insulting this movie by screening it in Subs, as if it doesn't warrant a dub?

Where are every R1 anime licensing company looking at the moment, when this movie is obviously waving a huge "Big Success" flag?


In what way is it insulting to watch a movie in subs? As for licensing, there's so few players right now, so if FUNi passes that's probably about it.


Well lets see, first off, All licensers say that they dub a show only when they think it will be worth it and be able to still make money. In, other words, if they don't dub a show, Licensers are pretty much saying that this show/movie is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to dub. In other words they doesn't have faith in the title and only got it to make some quick money.

Here is a question for you, if someone says that your work or something you like is not good enough, how is that NOT insulting?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggerschmakle



Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well lets see, first off, All licensers say that they dub a show only when they think it will be worth it and be able to still make money. In, other words, if they don't dub a show, Licensers are pretty much saying that this show/movie is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to dub. In other words they doesn't have faith in the title and only got it to make some quick money.

Here is a question for you, if someone says that your work or something you like is not good enough, how is that NOT insulting?


Calm down bro. I'm not sure if you've noticed but the industry is moving away from dubs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Altorrin



Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 281
Location: Florida, United States

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Baggerschmakle wrote:
Quote:
Well lets see, first off, All licensers say that they dub a show only when they think it will be worth it and be able to still make money. In, other words, if they don't dub a show, Licensers are pretty much saying that this show/movie is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to dub. In other words they doesn't have faith in the title and only got it to make some quick money.

Here is a question for you, if someone says that your work or something you like is not good enough, how is that NOT insulting?


Calm down bro. I'm not sure if you've noticed but the industry is moving away from dubs.


Yeah, on itty bitty niche products. As for something like this? I've been /waiting/ for a dub. This seemed to be the most obvious choice for a dub. But noooo. They just won't dub it. Hopefully the rumor about Funi dubbing it is true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1054

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I think "Summer Wars" has gotten its name out there through film festivals and stuff, where I believe it's pretty standard practice to show foreign films in their original languages. That's the version of the film that people have been praising. It doesn't strike me odd at all that this Arts center in London is showing the same version that has been showing up all over the world. Why would they dub it for this one venue when they didn't for previous ones?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 7751

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Well lets see, first off, All licensers say that they dub a show only when they think it will be worth it and be able to still make money. In, other words, if they don't dub a show, Licensers are pretty much saying that this show/movie is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to dub. In other words they doesn't have faith in the title and only got it to make some quick money.

Here is a question for you, if someone says that your work or something you like is not good enough, how is that NOT insulting?


No, I don't think you're thinking through this the right way. Besides, there's many great anime out there without English dubs, like Memories. I would suggest listening to the ANNcasts when they have people from the respective American licensee companies on. It's not that the anime itself isn't worth dubbing, it's that it's an business decision, not an art one.

Altorrin wrote:
Yeah, on itty bitty niche products. As for something like this? I've been /waiting/ for a dub. This seemed to be the most obvious choice for a dub. But noooo. They just won't dub it. Hopefully the rumor about Funi dubbing it is true.


You've got to relax as well. This isn't a license announcement, it's a screening. Movies are screened all the time without dubs, I saw Paprika subbed on a big screen. It's not really the end of the anime world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lapin noir



Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 35
Location: Yorkshire, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
All licensers say that they dub a show only when they think it will be worth it and be able to still make money. In, other words, if they don't dub a show, Licensers are pretty much saying that this show/movie is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to dub.
You've just written what they're saying in the former sentence and it's not that something isn't "good" enough, it's that it won't make enough money to justify it. Potential for commercial success and artistic interest are of little relation to each other; by that logic the Twilight novels are the pinnacle of literature, if I'm allowed to use hyperbole to illustrate the point.

If something is released without a dub or, for a print equivalent, without the first printing colour pages (as Mushishi was by Del Rey) this suggests that it is quite the opposite to something they've licensed for the profit, that they've licensed it despite its low sales potential because they personally like it. This probably isn't always the case but it was definitely so with the Mushishi comic for example.

Manga have made slip-ups that suggest that FUNimation have got Summer Wars for North America and are getting it dubbed but I don't rule out that in itself being a slip-up (it's easy to forget that that's any prominent, recent anime that FUNimation haven't licensed these days).

I'm rather more excited about the pre-WWII films, or would be if I lived near enough. And if they weren't screened as standard-definition video, which to be realistic I expect they will be (though I can say, also from experience, that even just being projected at the size films were intended to be can be an improvement over watching them at home). Would like to import the Zakka Films DVD some time, as I don't live near enough and could never afford to splash out on the more comprehensive Digital Meme box set, despite particular interest in the ÔFUJI Noburô films and some others.


Last edited by Lapin noir on Sun May 16, 2010 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reaper gI



Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 299
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:


You've got to relax as well. This isn't a license announcement, it's a screening. Movies are screened all the time without dubs, I saw Paprika subbed on a big screen. It's not really the end of the anime world.

It's already licensed here.
Manga keep on delaying the release because they won't release it without dub and no one in the US has dubbed it yet. They said something like we are waiting for FUNi to dub it. which emplies FUNi have the US license.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group