• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, May 2-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Guilty_Sky wrote:
If I recall correctly, in Japan Naruto seems to have an even harder time competing with One Piece.

There is no competition at all in Japan. One Piece is the best selling manga series of all time over there (with the caveat that I can't recall ever seeing reliable sales information for Astro Boy).

Naruto has sold roughly half of what One Piece has overall in Japan.

Also Naruto just broke 100 million last week, One Piece broke 100 million 5 years ago and beat it's predecessor Dragonball to claim the top spot 2 years ago. Oda has truly created a monster Laughing
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
As of last November, One Piece was at 176 million sold. And that was before "best selling book of any type since we started keeping track a few years ago" One Piece 57 came out.

With all the back issue sales (at one point all 57 volumes were in the weekly top 200 at the same time earlier this year), the series is easily over 180 at this point and probably pushing 185 million.

And there are still at least two volumes of the record-setting Marineford arc yet to be released. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2