• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Rosario + Vampire, Chaos;HEAd, Regios

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Awesome! Since it's Funimation, we can hope for a great dub Smile

Indeed.
I'm very happy with the line up for the trio highlighted here, especially Eden.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I've been intrested in ChaosHead looks interesting

Glad to see a Cast for Eden finally but still, where in the name of holiness is Phantom's dubbing already?
Crying or Very sad
bendomolena

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Tears. Just tears. This line up is filled with ecchi harems and moe girls. At least there's Rideback.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
mabber36 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Just to ask, have you ever seen any dub by Funimation, because that would explain your comment above.

I mean serieas like Beck, Dragon Ball (Z, GT, Kai), Kenichi, Soul Eater, xxxHolic, Full Metal Alchemist, Hell Girl,

all terrible dubs.

Define Terrible? If you mean Terribly good, then yes, I completely agree with you. But, if you mean that they don't sound like they have been inhaling Helium for hours when recording then by that standard they are terrible dubs.

Also, your avatar reminded me of another good funimation dub, Darker then Balck and lets not forget Claymore, I have a whole list of these. Seem to me you just don't like the enlish language, so there is no reason for you to even comment on these.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I find little point in discussing the quality of dubs. Sure, some are better, and some are worse, but the whole situation seems to be too subjective with most people being quite opinionated about it. I get the impression that you average dub watcher has no problem with most dubs - they may think that some are better than others, but for the most part, they're fine - while you're average sub watcher dislikes most dubs. There are, of course, plenty of people who don't follow this pattern, but I get the impression that that's the way it typically goes.

As such, I see little value in paying much attention to someone's opinion of a dub unless I'm quite familiar with their tastes. And even then, since I honestly have no problem with most dubs, I'm not likely to pay all that much attention to the naysayers. Sure, some dubs are better than others, but I see no need to harp on the matter. I mean, just look at this thread. As I recall, there's at least one post saying how bad these dubs are going to be because Funimation is do them, as well as at least one post saying how great they're going to be because Funimation is doing them. One person says that a particular dub is good or bad, and other folks chime in to say how they're wrong.

It just seems to me that so many folks are so opinionated on the matter that there's no point in even listening to them when they discuss the quality of various dubs - especially when so many of them talk about how bad dubs are which many people think are great.

I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. But I'm getting a bit sick of posts about how such-and-such dub sucked or how so-and-so is doing a dub, so it's going to be horrible. Can't we at least be greatful when things are going well enough that a show is not only getting licensed but is getting a dub as well?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. There really is little point in arguing over the quality of a dub. It's entirely subjective. What you may like another won't.

Someone could list two dozen dubs they love, and another could list two dozen they hate. There would likely be several shows on both lists.

Everyone does have the right to express their own opinion. Calling someone a moron because they have different tastes is way out of line though.

And since it was brough up, yes I have watched several Funimation dubs. There are some I like such as Hell Girl, Fruits Basket, and Mushishi. There are some I think are just average and nothing special, such as FMA, Shin Chan, and xxxHolic. Then there are some that I think are utterly attrocious, such as Ouran and FMA:B.

It's all a matter of opinion and there really is no point arguing about it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
..... Funimation your the best and that is all there is too it. You're my Hero. Very Happy

Also, did anyone else notice that Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom is not actually licensed by Funimation, just the video stream is licensed, I'm sad about that, I would like to see it dubbed. It seems like my type of show too.
Not sure if this was answered already, but I was at the FUNi panel and during Q&A I asked if they only had the streaming license for Phantom. The response was that they also have DVD distribution license as well and to expect a release date in the near future.

Ah, and I've seen all the shows (except Capu2 and Flying Panties), so I'll just make some remarks.

R+V: Shoving way more fanservice in the anime than what was in the manga, a rarity. Also really poorly paced and doesn't include my personal favorite part of the manga, spoiler[Ghoul] Tsukune.

GunXSword: Generic mecha action/comedy thing. I've forgotten almost everything about it.

Chaos;Head: Extremely interesting setup with the delusions and murder mystery, but quickly forgets all of that and turns into a generic "save the world" show with superpowers. Also, spoiler["IR^2 = fun^10 + int^40"] is the dumbest fake formula in the history of dumb fake formulas.

Chrome Shell Regios: I watched six episodes cause of Felli. She was cute. Everything else in the show was just not my cup of tea. Also, if I could use "restoration" to summon any weapon, I'd get some sort of powerful rifle or a shotgun, not a sword.

RideBack: This was actually pretty interesting. I watched 3 episodes but I think I was swamped with other things that season, but I'd like to see more of it streaming or by rental.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
I just noticed that Funi will be releasing Shikibane Hime under the title Corpse Princess which I think is a good idea. I actually like the title Shikibane Hime (its one of the few Japanese titles I can remember/pronounce) but I think in the NA market, Corpse Princess is more of an attention-grabber. And again, I love that they are releasing both seasons at the same time - none of this doling them out in six to seven eppie chunks crap.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Except they've also said recently that both Kenichi and Spice and Wolf sold very well, both are which are pretty unlike DBZ and FMA (well, Kenichi is sorta close, but still pretty different).

I didn't mean to imply it was ONLY those two. I've heard that Spice and Kenichi have done better then expected.

ikillchicken wrote:
What do you know of my tastes? I like action, adventure, drama, mystery, cyberpunk, space opera, mecha, fantasy, supernatural, psychological, horror and period shows. Are you going to claim that's not a pretty reasonable variety? I do not however, like shitty harems or ecchi comedies. Honestly, if a show can just dodge these couple bullets though I will potentially be interested in it. Five of these Six new shows can not. I think it's pretty painfully clear that I'm not the one who needs to branch out.

Yeah, No.

Only two of the six shows are fanservice/harem type shows; not five of the six. (maybe three of six, since C;H comes from a game. But it has other elements then just pretty girls)

bendomolena wrote:
Tears. Just tears. This line up is filled with ecchi harems and moe girls. At least there's Rideback.

And Regios.
And GunxSword.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's all a matter of opinion and there really is no point arguing about it.

While I agree that the whole "Good/Bad" dub thing is subjective; I have to point out that there is a difference between opinion and something everyone can point to as the "standard" for bad.

While people can have different opinions of dubs like Ouran or Beck; I think everyone can agree that a dub like Green Green is just an embarrassment.

You can dislike certain dubs, but when people start saying "horrible, worst ever" - Is it really?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I find little point in discussing the quality of dubs. Sure, some are better, and some are worse, but the whole situation seems to be too subjective with most people being quite opinionated about it. I get the impression that you average dub watcher has no problem with most dubs - they may think that some are better than others, but for the most part, they're fine - while you're average sub watcher dislikes most dubs. There are, of course, plenty of people who don't follow this pattern, but I get the impression that that's the way it typically goes.

I completely agree with everything you said.

However, the sad fact is that most of the time those standards that people judges DUBs on is well....... childish, I mean, if it doesn't sound like the Japanese dub it's bad, what is that all about. I just seem so unfair and such a bad way to measure a dubs worth.

Also, that tad bit that when poeple say a dub is bad the are generally saying that the Japanese dub is better (in most cases they say it, light years ahead of the english dubs) however, almost all of those people that say that don't actually speak Japanese and much less understand it. Yet they can say with certainty that subs are better then dubs. That just doesn't make scence to me.

In the end the Japanese dub is just NOISE, for most of the sub-only watchers. You can enjoy it but you can't make a fair/level headed decision on which is better, when you clearly don't even understand one of them. THAT, is what gets to me.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Mon May 17, 2010 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Liking the Japaneses dubs is a preference but not an actually judgment tool. Just like with music, I've really liked some Spanish songs, and a hand full of Japanese songs, but I can't compare then to English Songs that I like, since, well, I can actually understand them. I can enjoy the other language songs but if a dub of a song comes out I will most likely listen to that version then the one I don't understand. I liked the Kingdom Hearts song dub, and it is even dubbed by the Japanese singer. Granted there are some inconsistency with the flow at times but that is to be expected since it's a replica of the Japanese Lyrics, if she used different Lyrics then it would have been ever better, but then we would have people that would complain about it doesn't have in the some Lyrics as the Japanese, that it's unfaithful and say that is not the same song, THUS it sucks.

However, since she was faithful to the Lyrics, it ended up not being as good as it could have been, so the song gets bashed for not sounding/flowing as good Japanese. She gave the fans what they wanted and they still complained.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that is now things work with Dubbing. Fans complain that it's not the same script and there are too many changes and that they want the exact same script, but when it comes out those same fans then butcher the dub by saying that it suck because it doesn't sound like the sub and that it sounds out of place at times....... Now tell me how is that Fair?

The saddest part about all that is, that those same people that say that the dub isn't Faithful are the the ones that are still going to watch it in subs. So why do they complain about the dub? When in the end, you know they will just skip it. Are they Trying to make dubs worse so that dubs never compare to the subs in their eyes.... I guess we will never know.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

In the end the Japanese dub is just NOISE, for most of the sub-only watchers. You can enjoy it but you can't make a fair/level headed decision on which is better, when you clearly don't even understand one of them. THAT, is what gets to me.

Even without understanding, the Japanese dub is still a language that follows linguistic rules so it is more than just noise. It is possible to like something that is in a different language regardless of the understanding level.

No one is asking for the exact same script just proper translations without excessive changes to context or localization.
How many times do you want Brock trying to convince the English audience that he is eating a donut?
Translations are not and cannot be word for word most of the time.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Rosario + Vampire? Really?

And just as well...too many fanservice and/or harem titles for my liking. I guess someone must still be buying them though.

Megiddo wrote:

GunXSword: Generic mecha action/comedy thing. I've forgotten almost everything about it.

Well, it's certainly no masterpiece but I think it's not that generic. When you think about it, the show is a fun Super Robot romp set in a Space Western setting with some cynical jabs at the likes of Gundam SEED Destiny. I'd say that kind of thing is relatively rare.

The series does have a few plot twists, some melodrama and certain parts of it are clearly derivative...but unlike the second half of Code Geass (by which I mean R2) there's not much of a rush and you can watch it in a far more laid-back manner. I thought it was fairly satisfying.

Quote:
RideBack: This was actually pretty interesting. I watched 3 episodes but I think I was swamped with other things that season, but I'd like to see more of it streaming or by rental.

Unlike the above, I can pretty much agree with you here and I've also been thinking about going back to it.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

Even without understanding, the Japanese dub is still a language that follows linguistic rules so it is more than just noise. It is possible to like something that is in a different language regardless of the understanding level.

No one is asking for the exact same script just proper translations without excessive changes to context or localization.
How many times do you want Brock trying to convince the English audience that he is eating a donut?
Translations are not and cannot be word for word most of the time.

I meant what I said as what it all boils down too. I mean you will understand just am much of the show if you turn off the audio in the sub-only version as compared to the dub, where you will understand more if you watch it with audio, that's assuming you don't speak Japanese, which most of the sub-only fans do.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy subbed shows, but if there is a dub, that is what I'm watching. People exaggerate the things they don't like in a dub (which is a few little things and most of the time end up being the sounds of the english voices as compared to the sound of Japanese voices) and throw everything else away and make a basis opinion of the dub based on those few (sometime just one) factor they didn't like about the show.

Now tell me, how is that fair. I mean for all you know the Japanese are dissing on the Japanese dub to say that the English Dub is better. Don't tell me you never thought of that as an option as well.

Also, about no one asking for a direct translation of shows. Then tell me what Dragon Ball Z Kai is? I mean, the edited and redone show did very well, why try to change things. I'll tell you why. Sub only fans cried for a decade straight about it and now they are getting a more "Faithful" (untolrable to the American audios) dub of which they won't even bother to watch? Now you tell me, does that sound alright. While all the other casual buyers never new such a thing was happening and had no way of knowing or else they would have voiced their opinions on the matter. Now we will be getting DBZK with crappy smooth jazz music and more literal translation. Hope your happy.

Drangaon Ball Z Kai will still sell, just not even as close to as much if it was made to be like the it's predecessors..... sub-only fans whining at it's finest Folks. Hope you enjoy it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Well I can hear a voice(any language) and get some understanding, context, and emotion out of it. So muting the sound would lose that.

People exaggerate somethings in (dubs/subs) and some even downplay the problems in dubs/subs. The "dissing" the Japanese audience has about the Japanese track is the same kind of "dissing" the English audience has with the English track; some voices don't match, some acting is questionable, etc.
People that import different region DVDs are in a completely different strata from the norm and should not by used as representations.

Now for your odd take on Kai. Kai is not about translation but the absurd amount of filler DBZ had and the creators wanting to celebrate its anniversary with a remastered/edited version. This was done to be more along with the original manga, domestically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13