• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA Times Looks at Mamoru Oshii and Hayao Miyazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
I'm not sure I would've minded so much. Scriptwriting is clearly not one of Oshii's strong points, they're usually really overcomplicated and overpretentious - just compare Innocence to Patlabor II to see the difference.

I don't mind complicated myself; I'd rather a film make me think than serve up the same old "good guys fight bad guys, good guys win," formula that would have surley prevailed (along with some explosions, some cussing, some needless nudity and a tacked-on romantic subplot) had Hollywood been allowed to rewrite GitS 2.

Oh, yeah, and a there'd be a dumb catchphrase,too, so at some point Beateu would have said "Ghost in the Shell? Here's a shell-" at which point he would have pulled out a shotgun, blown off a robot's head, then taken the cigar out of his mouth and quipped, "...and now you're a ghost."
ZeroZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
well, there's a pretty big difference between something that makes you think with strong messages and something that's pretentious and needlessly complicated. GitS2 is the latter unfortunately. Just because it has quotable quotes doesnt mean it's a masterpiece, or even a good movie at all.
Gamelore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
jfrog wrote:
I'm not sure I would've minded so much. Scriptwriting is clearly not one of Oshii's strong points, they're usually really overcomplicated and overpretentious - just compare Innocence to Patlabor II to see the difference.

I don't mind complicated myself;
Oh, yeah, and a there'd be a dumb catchphrase,too

I don't think GitS 2 was "pretentious" at all. AI and philosophy are inherently extremely complicated. It's certainly not pretentious because it is complicated. Had he not used direct quotes, and perhaps watered it down a bit, the dialog would have lost some of its meaning.

GitS 2 was the best movie I saw of 2004. I was in the "zone" while watching that one. It was definitely my kind of movie. And I can see how it would not be other people's kind of movie, since I'm also the kind of person who will sit and be entertained by the education/math channel on cable for hours on end. But being bored to death is not pretentiousness, even though it looks very similar.

Explain what's pretentious or intentionally obfuscated in it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
Akito-san wrote:
Quote:
"But Miyazaki is hiding. He has a passion to destroy Japan, but he's not making what he really wants to make."

that's hilarious

who the hell says stuff like that? honestly...
Oshii? Razz
Anyway I always thought that was what Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga was for. His escape capsule from being nice. How many know that he is also a card carrying Communist too, (allegedly Wink ). And at 53, Oshii's got cheek calling Miyazaki "a very old man" with only 11 years between them. Personally I think Oshii is still jealous of Miyazaki's Oscar. Wink
potassium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote
Akito-san wrote:
Quote:
"But Miyazaki is hiding. He has a passion to destroy Japan, but he's not making what he really wants to make."

that's hilarious

who the hell says stuff like that? honestly...

someone trying to make his competitor look bad?
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:
I don't think GitS 2 was "pretentious" at all. AI and philosophy are inherently extremely complicated. It's certainly not pretentious because it is complicated. Had he not used direct quotes, and perhaps watered it down a bit, the dialog would have lost some of its meaning.

You do know that Oshii said that it's possible to understand Innocence without paying attention to the dialogue, and that he even recommended that to some people...right? I got way more out of the scenes in Innocence (both emotionally and intellectually) where everyone just shut up. He said that he wanted to prove how meaningless movie dialogue is, and I think he made his point.

And your comment about watching education channels really tipped it off - I don't go into movies to learn philosophy, if I want philosophy I'll just pull out my battered copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra and read that. I didn't like Patlabor II because of the way it dealt with the problems that face first world countries, I liked Patlabor II because it perfectly captured the feelings of political disillusionment.

And those who are complaining about Oshii's comment about Miyazaki, you really should read more interviews with the man. He's a right bitter bastard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the "Times" article. The article provided a critical insight into the workings of the Nihon anime industry as well as place the works of the "bullet proof" Miyazaki into a different commercial perspective.

Personally, I've been very uncomfortable with Miyazaki's business relationship with Disney/Buena Vista. I was delighted that Oshii addressed that relationship, as well as the other critical issues currently challenging Japan's anime industry.

If Oshii ever wants to stop being an animator, he ought to consider a career as an industry advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oshii? Razz
Anyway I always thought that was what Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga was for. His escape capsule from being nice. How many know that he is also a card carrying Communist too, (allegedly Wink ).

He's not currently a communist around the early 1990s he was dissillusioned with communism because of the breakup of Yugoslavia. (He thought that Yugoslavia was a perfect example of communism working, but didn't realize that the reason why different ethnic groups weren't fighting each other there was due to being repressed brutially by the government there.)

See link here (though this link doesn't say anything about the whole yugoslavia deal, I believe it was on one of the old MML discussions.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
Quote:
Oshii? Razz
Anyway I always thought that was what Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga was for. His escape capsule from being nice. How many know that he is also a card carrying Communist too, (allegedly Wink ).

He's not currently a communist around the early 1990s he was dissillusioned with communism because of the breakup of Yugoslavia. (He thought that Yugoslavia was a perfect example of communism working, but didn't realize that the reason why different ethnic groups weren't fighting each other there was due to being repressed brutially by the government there.)

See link here (though this link doesn't say anything about the whole yugoslavia deal, I believe it was on one of the old MML discussions.)
Wow. That must have really sucked for him.
Tequila

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
This article gets to me Evil or Very Mad ooh poor Mamuro Oshii "Maybe its the other filmmakers fault that nobody wants to see my movies"

Whatever you do, dont spend actual money on this autistic pile of garbage called "Ghost In The Shell: Innocence".

Sex and Violence ?! Yeah 2 crude dudes in a car talking about dog food is surely an exciting way to portray action. duh. I mean its rated *PG-13* puhleaze .. And where is the sex part? Maybe I dozed off at that scene?

And of course Miyazaki wants to destroy Japan. Why? Because the great Oshii says so and now everything is crystalclear to me. Not. You just have to believe that Oshii [is] very good at creating pictures and everything will be alright. pff ..
jay saenz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that both men are great directors, and each one of them have their own views and their own ways to create films.

But i feel that Oshii got a strong point when he talks about the work of Miyazaki. I remember that i used to belive that the Miyazaki early works had a message for the people, for example Naussica and the destruction of the nature by the men.

But i got the feeling that Miyazakis later works are solf about the message the give to the people. Don t missunderstand me, I love Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (or Spirited Away for you) but i feel that the story was somehow forced to have a happy ending, just like the average Disney movie.

I have read some interviews with Miyazaki and i think that he is a really critic person, and that he really dislikes the way that the japanese society has changed from the post war times. What i feel is that he knows that the people is using his films to profit and do not care about the message that they got, and that really frustated him.

In the other way, Oshii knows that the mainstream doesn't understand his work and he doesn't care about it, as long as he is able to continue as director. He knows that he have a small fandom that follows his movies and he's happy with that.

Miyazaki vs Mamuro represents in some way the struggle between profit vs artistic ethics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2