• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds Haruhi-chan, Churuya-san

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does picking up Haruhi-chan and Churuya sound like a bad investment on Bandai's part?
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Is it just me, or does picking up Haruhi-chan and Churuya sound like a bad investment on Bandai's part?

Yeah I think so too. If these were the two series that needed to sell to keep Bandai Entertainment dubbing, then yeah... I don't see any more dubs coming out of them anymore.

R.I.P. Bandai Dubs
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
i thought we already knew this

We did, sort of. In the Band Zoom ANNcast 2 weeks ago, Eric Sherman mentioned it. But I'm not sure if it was intentional or not (although I'd guess not, he probably just slipped up and mentioned it without thinking)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Sounds like a better investment than the second season of Haruhi proper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

It's actually probably a very good investment. The price for the license(assuming it wasn't a package deal which is very possible) was probably pretty low seeing as it's a very short net series.

Because of that exact fact it's gonna be relatively cheap to dub them and seeing as they will sell as a 2 part set just like any other anime it's a good bet they will break even with much lower sales then most shows. That to me would mean it's quite a clever investment.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Haruhi in general kind of bland series to license over and over (I am referring to all the Haruhi titles and spin offs)?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Yeah I think so too. If these were the two series that needed to sell to keep Bandai Entertainment dubbing, then yeah... I don't see any more dubs coming out of them anymore.

R.I.P. Bandai Dubs

My thoughts precisely. If this was needed to keep Bandai afloat, this would be fine. But sadly, Bandai is well past this point, so like Ovan and stated, I too think this was horrible investment.

It's a shame, but I personally have done all I can possibly do. I've purchased dvds past and present, told others about the series and told people I know to buy these series as well. But sadly, that just isn't enough anymore.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Endless Eight wasn't all that bad. It could have been halved, but it wasn't the big tragedy that too many people are trying their best to make it out to be. As for the Haruhi-chan stuff, I haven't watched any of it, but I've heard from various people whose opinion I trust that it's entertaining enough, so I'll likely buy it.

I do hope to god that K-ON isn't the mystery license, but if it is, so be it. Was a bit too tedious of a show for my tastes, but it seems to have its following.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why you guys are thinking the dub and Bandai picking up Haruhi-chan is bad.

The show was shown for free on youtube for a short time, the subs where kinda of Engrish-y. Why not have Bandai clean up the subs, and put a dub on it?

I know quite a few people who like the spin off series, but dislike the main series. I mean it would sell for a cheap price and the dub shouldn't be half bad.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt that K-on! is the secret license. It's doing really well in Japan and KyoAni would probably be scared of re-importation so a license would cost a lot. Plus the licenses for the songs and dubbing the songs would cost a lot as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
These are 2 things I'm really interested in how the dubs turn out. I really don't know if they can possible do all the craziness better then the Japanese did and still have it be funny. That said I can't wait to hear it.

I also hope their other license is K-ON! however when I brought that up in the Bang Zoom podcast thread everyone basically said I was a moron and there was no way that's what it was. Most seem to think it's Summer Wars despite rumors running rampant that Funi has already licensed Summer Wars. Either way one can hope.

Well, lets keep in mind that there is a dub for Excel Saga and that turned out better then the sub. So, I'm sure they can make this happen.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that this is a All of Nothing Last attempt by Bandia? I mean just not long ago they were releasing little to nothing and half their stuff is sub only.
I mean, come on, is it too much to ask for a dub for Hayate the Combate Butler. I know it would sell really well hear with a dub, but maybe it sells very well in sub only just because it's such an awesome show and the funniest show of 2007. The second funniest show of 2007 is My Bride is a Mermaid and that one is getting a dub. So, why not this?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Eh, Endless Eight wasn't all that bad. It could have been halved, but it wasn't the big tragedy that too many people are trying their best to make it out to be.

57% of the long-awaited second season of a widespread favorite turning out to be packing material is pretty bad, man.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Eh, Endless Eight wasn't all that bad. It could have been halved, but it wasn't the big tragedy that too many people are trying their best to make it out to be.

57% of the long-awaited second season of a widespread favorite turning out to be packing material is pretty bad, man.

He meant 50% of Endless Eight could have been trimmed, which is 4 episodes. So 4/14 is 28.5%. Not perfect I know but the Endless Eight arc is actually quite important and one of the main catalysts of what occurs in the film(not a spoiler) so completely dismissing it is a mistake.
Dblitzer

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

the Endless Eight arc is actually quite important and one of the main catalysts of what occurs in the film(not a spoiler) so completely dismissing it is a mistake.

I don't think anyone was completely dismissing endless eights, the frustration more comes from this
:First episode of endless eights is shown
:"cool, we'll get through 2 episodes of endless eights and then on to disappearance"

and then........... we got 8 episodes, about 5 of which can be cut out of viewing without loss on the viewers part. Considering the story wasn't that long in the original light novel there's also a bit of adaptation decay going into that frustration as well

on topic i like this license, Haruhi-Chan is a must-buy, i certainly made a habit of waiting for Kadokawa to put up their english sub version on their channel the days they were released, thoroughly enjoyable
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Dblitzer wrote:

on topic i like this license, Haruhi-Chan is a must-buy, i certainly made a habit of waiting for Kadokawa to put up their english sub version on their channel the days they were released, thoroughly enjoyable

Same here, watching it weekly on youtube was fun for me and I can't wait to own the series on DVD. Seeing as the only way to get legal subs for it on DVD where to import the Japanese disks. (Seeing as Japan put the youtube subs as a extra on there release)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4