• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Brighter than the Dawning Blue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, when this was first announced, I had absolutely no interest in it.

...But I might check it out now. I'm a sucker for a solid love story. Embarassed
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Very mediocre animation is an understatement, Theron. This is the series with the infamous cabbage ball.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Very mediocre animation is an understatement, Theron. This is the series with the infamous cabbage ball.
The animation was improved for the DVD. Cabbace now looks like a normal cabbace.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Oh this is THAT series. I knew the series got an R1 release, but I didn't realize that it was out already. Hmm, I might have to check this out sometime in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Oh this is THAT series. I knew the series got an R1 release, but I didn't realize that it was out already. Hmm, I might have to check this out sometime in the future.

Technically it's not out yet; its release date is the first of June. (This was an advance copy.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Technically it's not out yet; its release date is the first of June. (This was an advance copy.)

I should have known it is an advanced copy of the show. I guess making a fool of myself for now doing my research before hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Splitter wrote:
The animation was improved for the DVD. Cabbace now looks like a normal cabbace.

Okay, I retract my understatement. Very mediocre is appropriate now.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
This is one of the few times where I had very little interest watching a series, but still ended up watching it the whole way through to the very end. The moments when it's trying to be funny were really hard for me to get through, so they were mostly "miss" for me. I did LOVE the opening theme, though. Other than that, I really didn't remember much about it until I read this review.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Though it's most likely for pronunciation, does Sentai think giving the English version of the Japanese title would make it sell better? I mean, Kannazuki no Miko is a series I am not interested in seeing, however, when Geneon released it as that, it sounded more interesting than "Destiny of the Shrine Maiden" that Sentai billed it as. And Seto no Hanayome sounds cooler than a generically sounding "My Wife is a Mermaid" release Funimation is releasing it as.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
^^Isn't the Japanese title for this really, really long though?

Also, this is licensed? Missed that announcement.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
^^Isn't the Japanese title for this really, really long though?

Yeah, that's why I thought it had been translated. I mean, if the title were in Japanese, my search for a copy would probably go something like this: "oh gee, I'm interested in this show and will go look it up on rightstuf.com. Too bad the title is so long and in Japanese, so I will likely not be able to spell it right and not remember any the words, thus making it very difficult to find it.".
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
4nBlue wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Okay, I retract my understatement. Very mediocre is appropriate now.

Apparently, from the pic, they increased the volume of her breasts in the process.

Still looks pretty misshapen for a head of lettuce (please don't complain to me about the differences between lettuce and cabbage, because I don't really care)
fmagrave

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sir, how long has it been since you've last seen this kind of derivative harem anime because when it comes to this kind of show, Brighter than the Dawning Blue is scraping at the very bottom of this toilet bowl.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
fmagrave wrote:
Sir, how long has it been since you've last seen this kind of derivative harem anime because when it comes to this kind of show, Brighter than the Dawning Blue is scraping at the very bottom of this toilet bowl.

Sir, you are sadly mistaken. There are much, much worse examples of this kind of series out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
fmagrave wrote:

Sir, you are sadly mistaken. There are much, much worse examples of this kind of series out there.

And within a minute, I can name ten or more. Actually a long time friend and I were talking about harem's this morning and we both agreed on one part of harem's. Once you seen one harem, you've seen them all. Sure some may be different or have less moe/fanservice, but the concept is almost entirely the same.

The guy who often is boring or more plain the water crackers somehow manages to have a group of three or more women after him. Sometimes it's the class president and sometimes it's the shy girl. The main character can be a complete idot or even a jerk, but will still have a group of girls after him.

So I'd hardly say this is the worst harem anime I've heard about and have seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1