• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CEO: Bang Zoom to Cease Anime Dubbing in 2011 Without Fan Support

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 pm Reply with quote
WHAT?! Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh ****, this is not good. This is NOT good at all.
Greed1914

Well, I hope it isn't that dire, but I certainly can believe that. I think we can all acknowledge that the anime industry has been hurting for a long time. There have been enough layoffs and closings to provide evidence that the R1 side is having a tough go. I really do hope that people will at least consider what he is saying and not brush it off as a scare tactic. As many others have pointed out, it's not like everyone has to buy everything that they have seen or want to see, but if the number of people that watch anime actually chipped in a bit it would help a lot. That's the whole point of chipping in, no one person has to carry the load, just each person does their own little part.
AJMkarate717

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
WHAT?! Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Well, if there aren't enough people who purchase a product, that product will cease to be made. The same goes for dubbing - if not enough people purchase dubs, licensees will stop paying for dubs, and thus the dub studios will shut down. It's not that he's threatening consumers that he will punish them by shutting the studio down if they don't buy anime; he's simply expressing doubts that Bang Zoom! Entertainment will be able to function on the budget it projects from current sales numbers...
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
My quick, amateurish retort would be that a smartly run dubbing studio would diversify amongst video games, commercials, domestic animation, foreign live action films set for English release, and last, but not least, English distribution of Japanese anime. Put all your eggs in one basket, don't cry when they get dropped.
Kodai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
"so far, there are no successful ways to monetize online entertainment. Not so that creators can afford to produce and distribute quality content."

bull. Crunchyroll.

Better yet, why aren't the US producers working with Japanese produces to release simultaneously?

US producers slit their own throats when they wait 6 months to 2 years to release.
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch dubs, so it doesn't really bother me if they exit the industry or not. But it sucks for them, and I hate to see people lose jobs.

One thing though, just because they're possibly going out of a business doesn't mean that anime will die In America.
domino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Sad news...
I never listen to the dub tracks on my DVDs, though. I don't know anyone who does. Maybe the bright side of this is that DVD costs will go down (even though they're already ridiculously cheap) since they don't have added dub costs, encouraging people to buy more of them? I think dubbing is a wasted effort when it's not for the "mainstream" shows that are or could likely appear on Adult Swim.

But I guess the main problem lies with this: a lot of anime fans are like 14. 14 year olds are broke. 14 year old does, however, have internet access. If 14 year old does get some money, it's probably in the form of cash. 14 year old goes to a store to buy anime, but retail stores have slaughtered their anime DVD sections. 14 year old can only buy anime DVDs from the internet, but has no credit card. 14 year old shrugs and goes to watch a fansub instead.

... or at least that's how my anime life was when I was in high school. I remember really really really wanting Yami no Matsuei on DVD but it wasn't sold anywhere near me and I didn't have a credit card, so I had to settle for a fansub. When I finally found someone to let me use their credit card, I happily purchased the DVD from the internet...... and was sent a Chinese bootleg DVD made to look exactly like the American DVD release, dub and all. Sigh.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sherman also wrote about the rise of streaming content online, but added that "so far, there are no successful ways to monetize online entertainment. Not so that creators can afford to produce and distribute quality content."

One thing everyone forgets about is Chrunchyroll's premium membership. The way that business model works is someone starts paying for it and forgets about it or hardly ever uses it. Imagine the amount of Chunchyroll premium members who are paying just to get Naruto and Reborn!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Kodai wrote:
"so far, there are no successful ways to monetize online entertainment. Not so that creators can afford to produce and distribute quality content."

bull. Crunchyroll.

You assume that Crunchyroll is profitable in a substantial way. And, according to what we've been hearing on ANNcast, it's not...

Kodai wrote:
"Better yet, why aren't the US producers working with Japanese produces to release simultaneously?

If it would make money, they probably are trying. You forget that the Japanese side is very ingrained in its practices. Plus, it's very difficult and time-consuming to dub something before it's finished. And, since dubs appeal to a wider audience, companies feel compelled to produce a dub.

Last edited by AJMkarate717 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
What have they even dubbed recently? I'll be buying the new Haruhi stuff...I paid out the nose for the Haruhi and Lucky Star LEs (Haruhi in particular was around 70 bucks up here) and the majority of my anime library has been dubbed by them, what more do you want from me!?

Last edited by Taiyz on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Kodai wrote:

bull. Crunchyroll.

Better yet, why aren't the US producers working with Japanese produces to release simultaneously?

US producers slit their own throats when they wait 6 months to 2 years to release.

Wow, somebody isn't well informed. It's not that clear just how well Crunchyroll is working, and it certainly isn't helping a dub studio like Bang Zoom.

The US producers slit their throats? Have you considered the hefty amount of negotiation it takes to get something licensed and then eventually release it here? Not to mention the time it takes to dub a show. People expect a lot out of a dub, especially since so many assume that "all dubs suck" so they have to make sure they do the best job they can. People jump all over them if it seems like a rush job. Also, the Japanese side shares a large part of the blame for why it takes so long.

The simultaneous release has been tried before, and it is very costly, and it doesn't fit with how the Japanese produce their typical anime. Most shows have their episodes finished shortly before they air, so they'd have to be working even farther in advance and do it even faster, which would probably lower the quality. Also, keep in mind that this would mean that the R1 company would be locked in with a particular show and would have no chance to take a look at it and decide if it was even worth bring over. Overall, it just isn't a feasible system right now.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
This is really saddening. I've always supported the business and tried to stir my friends away from illegal downloads.

As an aspiring voice-over artist as well as audio engineering, this is something I dreaded for the longest of times. Some people just don't seem to understand that there are people out there who work their butts off to produce and distribute these wonderful shows. Localizing and dubbing them for everyone's viewing pleasure. I think this is one of the few industries that will eventually die because of it's own clientele and/or fanbase.

Wonderful and talented artists work hard on both sides of the world (East and West) to bring these stories to life and sure the pay isn't the most expensive yet they've remained when they could have easily walked out. Money isn't everything in life, sure it pays the bills and gets you things but you never work just for the sake of money. I wholeheartedly believe the anime fandom is better than this and can eventually stir away the ship from crashing to shore, they/we need to wake up and do the right thing. The net is a perfect home for the cynical but those people should have a basic understanding of life outside computers, if we don't act now, anime as medium will fade out into obscurity.

Japan keeps shipping out mediocrity after mediocrity and the fans gobble it up like a fast food restaurant chain yet whenever something noteworthy lands ashore it is treated disrespectfully by certain fans. If they love their shows so much, why do they spit in the creators face by robbing them? Call me what you will but I'm certain none of those cynical "fans" would like to have any of their work stolen so others can benefit from it.

The people at Bang Zoom practically ooze excellence and it's a shame when the workshops are closed, leaving hundreds out of work from the stuff they love. Voice-Over Talent, Engineers, Directors, Writers, Script Adapters, Technicians, Marketing & public relations people, distributors, assistants, secretaries, regular employees, all without work. I've been a fan since day one and I still dream of working for them, so it really is a shame that is has come to this.
Hiro94

This is what happens when everybody starts being cheap and does not buy the dvd,s or pay for the digital downloads.the same thing is happening to the anime magazine inustry the only survivors are Otaku Usa And Protoculture addicts.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

I...wish I could say this was a surprise, but is it, really? So far, silence from a company has pretty much been a harbinger of their closure. (Just from following press releases and whatnot, but I don't know anything apart from that.)

Still, this is very sad. X_X I'm not sure whether to blame the fans so vehemently, or turn a slightly judgmental eye to the companies themselves, or wonder about what in the world they're thinking overseas regarding marketing and what kind of..."stories" they've been producing in Japan. (On a lighter note, I was really happy with what I saw this season, at least in comparison to what's been around the last year or two. Past the first episodes of the preview guide, Angel Beats! and Heroman are continuing to be real winners, I think.)

Anyway...this is very much a bummer and a half. I'm really not sure WHAT the industry is gonna look like in two years, much less any longer.

kodai wrote:
bull. Crunchyroll.

HA HA, you think they make real money. Ha. Laughing That site is a labor of love now, maybe less than it used to be, but not by much from what I've heard.

Seriously, a video has to attain thousands of hits to make ten bucks at least with a lot of adshare deals with individual producers. Thousands. Plural. Companies might have it better, but I don't know: they'd HAVE to. It still canNOT be making them money.

EDIT: Oops, lots of people beat me to that one. Anime dazed

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 59