• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You III: Die Hard with a View-geance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Hmmm..a guest we'll get crazy for....I would get crazy over A) Gen Fukunaga B) Some high rep from Geneon
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I would also love to hear the FMA Brotherhood Animax dub, especially to see if they have Olivier Mira Armstrong to have a russian voice too.

I think the Animax dub only covered the first 26 episodes, so Gen. Armstrong hadn't shown up yet. Chances are Animax will eventually finish up their own dub rather than licensing Funimation's, given their recent track record of dubbing shows that were already dubbed by Funi. (I think the original FMA was the only Funi dub they ever aired.)

Whoa, wait... Animax dub?

Episode 6? Just wait, Zac. While Toradora has flashes of brilliance, especially in those early ep., any greatness burns out pretty quickly, leaving only dysfunction. spoiler[ Expect more unnecessary emotional and physical abuse; Tiaga puts the Tsun in Tsundere. I too enjoyed the male lead throughout -he was fantastic, and the only reason I continued watching, despite him being a codependent doormat for the dysfunctional Tiaga's repeated abuse- but the ending was WTF.]

Also, lovin' Mike Toole! He's such a great guest. I'm stoked he's joining ANN.

Rev. Girl Utena? I gave up mescaline, Duran Duran BL rejects, and David-Lynch-inspired train wrecks. No thanks. Let it die.

Last edited by CareyGrant on Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Ah Toradora, the once in a decade masterpiece. I haven't seen such a fantastic, well made and exciting anime since Dragon Ball Z. Granted, there different genre, though that is exceptionally obvious though. Enough though I really enjoyed Inuyasha for the seven year run on AS, Dragon Ball Z was just so exciting and almost never had a dull moment in the series.

However, despite being a once in a decade genius masterpiece, it's full potential hasn't been reached and may never be reached either. This is getting somewhere, I promise, but first I am shifting the focus to Nippon Ichi Software, an excellent video game company. Over the last sixteen or more years, I've played tons of rpg games, as well as other games. Among other games, I've also played Disgaea, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, Phantom Brave, Atelier Iris, Mana Khemia. Needless to say, I've enjoyed each and every game I've played form them, even Rhapsody.

When I heard that NIS was going to license anime I was quite thrilled. Considering how well done the English audio tracks were on most there games, I had really, really high hopes and was quite excited to hear this news. Then Toradora was licensed. Several anime shows have really got me quite thrilled and tons of them I enjoyed since the first episode. But this news was about 100 times different.

Well this is where my optimism began to be tested and the situation began to spiral out of control and how the series didn't meet it's full potential. Sadly, well at least for English audio fans and myself, the series wasn't dubbed. However, I do comprehend why NIS didn't dub the series and why it might be smarter to have done subtitles over English audio. But no matter how rationalized, theorized this issue became, the truth is Toradora isn't and may never ever be dubbed in English.

Like the Dragon Ball universe, Shin Chan, One Piece, Bleach, Case Closed, Inuyasha, I would have instantly pre-ordered and purchased Toradora, if the series was dubbed. In all fairness, during the run of Toradora, my speakers were completely broken and my sound card entirely stopped working, so I didn't really have a chance to hear the Japanese audio. Though the subtitles were nice, more than 5-10 times during the series I had to stop and rewind the episode(s).

My eyes aren't what they used to be and reading fast subtitles is much more challenging than it looks. Sure, maybe the next generation could do it quite easily and such, but they have youth and most likely better eye sight than myself. This is one of several reasons I like English audio track better, but that is another story for another day/thread.

I know NIS might not been able to afford dubbing for Toradora, but in the same token, had the series been dubbed by above exceptional companies such as Funimation or Bang Zoom, I truly believe that the series would have reached it's full potential. Like I've said in the past and will continue to say in the future, Toradora is a rare masterpiece. That said, it's a shame the series may never reach the full potential it so justly deserves. There is always the chance that NIS or any other company (hopefully not Bandai, Sentai or Mediablasters) will dub Toradora, but I am not sure that will ever happen. If dubbing is still around in the next decade or two, then the possibly is much higher.

Until then, I have no choice other than to wait like every other English audio fan. Giving up solves absolutely nothing and is counter productive, but patience and hope will help in the long run.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
ah, Justin... everybody here understands your drowning in media... we'll throw sakura petals on the surface of the DVD pile. while awaiting our own fates...

as for ToraDora! well, I have no illusion that it's the best thing!evar! But it is kinda amusing, and that seems to be enough for me. I'd have to say that Taiga is a well written Tsun- ... and that makes what is going on in her head something to pay attention to. If you just dismiss, I think you are missing something.

Heh, I'll be happy when my discs get here on that one.

and Justin? Essentially, the DVD is about the most compact that media will ever be for the price... and robust. If you filled a large server with 100TB, you would still have to worry about the server, OS, patching, electricity and whatnot...

While the DVD's just sit there, waiting patiently. For that time when you will, on a lark, decide to pick one and watch it. Can't you just hear them there, waiting hopefully for the moment?

or is that just me?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Sorry Justin but I don't like Golden Boy or series like it and thus I don't support them, but as a consolation I do like The Castle of Cagliostro and would support series/show in that vein.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
When Justin mentioned hairy knuckled hands of Lupin characters, I wonder if he knew the where that design inspiration came from. According to Yasuo Otsuka's website, it's inspired from none other than MAD magazine illustrations from Good ol' U.S. of A.

Yasuo Otsuka website
http://www.shiga-web.or.jp/mvj/yasuoworld/back003/index.html

Speaking of Mamoru Hosoda, someone has to translate "Kono Hito ni Hanashi wo Kikitai (この人に話を聞きたい) book. That book has 5000 words interview with that covers him and his Digimon movie.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Toradora must look like a masterpiece to many, because in the anime romantic comedy genre you usually have to be satisfied with very average clichee stuff. So in comparison Toradora really stands out like a masterpiece I guess. Just like Death Note is a masterpiece for the shonen genre-watchers.

Toradora is really good in general though. While it's not perfect, it's not one-dimensional as most of its colleagues and I think it stays good till the end. A very good cast as well, all of the characters actually have a character. A series that really makes you feel like you spent your time on something worthwhile.

Btw, Taiga would be what you call a Tsundere, and Tsunderes (+ her looks) are one part of "moe" for many people. But luckly Taiga isn't as flat a character and manages to get out of the stereotype.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the last couple volumes of Dunbine are that rare? A few months ago in my local used-media resale shop I stumbled across both ADV boxsets, 6 singles in each, for $16 each (as in each full boxset, not each single). It was one of those titles I'd vaguely heard about over the years and when I mentioned it in the Retail thread I was encouraged to pick it up so I did, promptly. I figured heck, that's a lot of anime for $32 and I'd probably never find it again. Plus, like Zac mentioned, I've been on a purchasing binge "upswing" lately and was open to taking a chance. I have to admit though, I haven't watched it yet-- not sure if I'll ever have the time to commit to such a long series-- but I did watch 2 episodes back when I first got it, less-than-sober and a bit sleepy so it had a hard time keeping my attention. On a side note, I think used copies of the v10 & v11 singles have been sitting on that same shop's clearance shelf for months now, $3 each. Maybe I'll pick them up (v11, at least). I do sort of wonder why the Dunbine titles (both the boxsets and reputedly rare singles) are so cheap at this shop. I supposed it may have something to do with whatever database(s) they use to price stuff. Maybe Dunbine, being OOP, is off their radar so they priced it to move?

I'm (very) slowly watching Bubblegum Crisis, as I've heard it reviewed on both the Anime World Order and Fast Karate for the Gentlemen podcasts and I'm finding it fairly entertaining. I do agree that it's probably one of those shows where you "had to be there" to get the full effect of how cool it was at the time. But... I got the first few episodes on VHS (yes, I still have a functional VCR, can you believe it?) for 25 cents each so it was a pretty low-risk title to try out.

Aww, Demon City Shinjuku is "retarded"? I heard it reviewed on AWO and snatched up a used DVD via eBay and was pretty happy with it. It looked great and unlike Wicked City & Ninja Scroll, no rape scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
(1) Can't you get a Blu-Ray writer for around $170? At least for the (evil) burns, how many DVD iso images can you store on one Blu-Ray disk?

You could even do it on an ongoing basis ... need space in the big DVD trunks, pull 10 DVD burns to fill a single Blu-Ray double layer.

(2) If the licensed fandub can cover its production budget, given that DVD on demand can be sold with a cost of around $5/disc and 15% of direct online bookstore or 45% of Amazon bookstore price ... its obvious how they could fail to earn back the production budget, but couldn't they be fairly confident of being able to get the thing out?

(3) The missing link between digitally oriented distribution and the manga collector seems to be the equivalent to (2) ... print-on-demand that is up to the requirements of manga. From what I've heard from Erica Freidman at ALC and Yuricon, PoD is not there yet ... but, while they of course would not make it strictly for manga, when print on demand is up to the demands of full featured color-illustration college textbooks, that'll be just about what manga would need.

One day a print bookstore may be a small storefront with printed books on shelves as teasers and a Print on Demand machine in the back, with Print on Demand storefront sales a side-business to the main business fulfilling shipments to local customers ordered out of an online business like amazon.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't realize BGC was considered 'edgy' at some point. It's reasonably fun and stylish but I'd never have thought to call it edgy.

Even though I didn't really come into anime with this it at all, I absolutely bloody love Kawajiri. I've yet to see anything of his that I don't at least mildly enjoy. Yes. That includes Highlander.

I watched all of Inuyasha. No excuse. I just did. And you know, I really like the first season or two. It's good.
mabber36

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
hell yes, Queen's Blade
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
Justin worked on something I actually own? Ah, there's his name on the last DVD of Utena. Fancy that.

Yea, it's a shame what happened to that series. I have noticed a slight resurgence in it's popularity. Usually a thread on /a/ will pop up pretty late at night and run for a solid couple hundred posts of actual discussion and not just image dumping/trolling. Repeat every few weeks. The series did get a remaster in Japan a while back, so between that and CPM dying and the license not getting re-accquired has probably generated some word of mouth. Shame that the show is likely stuck back in licensing hell and won't see the remasters in R1 format.

Sad thing about the R1 DVDs. My eyes self-destructed from how bad the video quality was upon rewatching the series. When I watched it then: 13" CRT. Now: 42" plasma. I drowned my sorrows in the fact that I had spent so much money back in 2003 as a relatively newbie anime fan (It didn't look that bad back then, I swear....). You thought anime was expensive back then? Try being a Canadian anime fan nowhere near the American border. Yeesh.

Then again, the directors commentary on both the last volume and the movie... totally worth the price of admission.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
Justin, you would not be saying what you did about Golden Boy if you read the rest of the manga. I mean he basically starts bedding women to solve their mental problems. It get's kind of terrible when they revisit one of the old aventures from the OVAs and Kintaro starts drinking women's pee.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Justin, you would not be saying what you did about Golden Boy if you read the rest of the manga. I mean he basically starts bedding women to solve their mental problems. It get's kind of terrible when they revisit one of the old aventures from the OVAs and Kintaro starts drinking women's pee.

I like to pretend that everything past the first tankoubon doesn't exist. I still maintain that the anime version is the high water mark of anime perverted comedy.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:17 am Reply with quote
There are convenient and environmentally responsible alternatives to dumping your unwanted DVDs into a landfill:
GATSU wrote:
Pro-tip to Justin: You're in L.A. Amoeba Records is your friend for selling your old discs. Wink
I can't emphasize selling to Amoeba enough. You would be truly surprised as to what they would purchase. Also, I believe you can opt to have them donate whatever they do not buy from you.

Moreover, another even more expedient option is simply giving your overstock of unwanted titles to one of the numerous thrift stores in the area, like the Goodwill. If you call them, they will actually drive to your house to pick up a donation. EDIT: spelling
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6