• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You III: Die Hard with a View-geance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Re Toradora! My hopes for the release went way up after I got my special premium edition of the Sakura Wars: Remember My Love PS2 game. If the included extras are anywhere near as good as the game's, I will be happy.

I did make it through every piece of Urusei Yatsura available, owning only the 2nd movie though. I guess a sitcom is an apt description. Most episodes are mildly amusing to hilarious, but about every 8 episodes or so (after #26) there was one that left me in awe storywise or animation wise. I thought it maintained this pattern pretty consistently from 26 to the end. I wish I would have noted the episodes that I thought were top notch as I was watching. Going through the entire thing in 6 months, it all becomes a blur in my memory. If I had the money, buying it all would be one of the first things I did.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ahahaha.. oh yeah, I remember the Crusher Joe OVAs scene change thing. rofl, those were awful.

Mmm. I watched the OVAs pretty much right after I watched the movie. For the movie, though I thought the first 40 mins or so was dreadfully slow, but after that the movie picks up and it gets super awesome. But yeah, I was less impressed with the OVA, though I thought it was similar enough to the movie that I enjoyed it :\

Whoa, you weren't immediately able to label Taiga as a tsundere? O_o. She's straight Shana/Louise Kugimiya Rie tsundere

-

Are you kidding me? I wanna live in the world of Lupin! D:.

YESSS!!!! Golden Boy is incredible! That's awesome to hear you guys talk about it. Glad to see Justin loves it. I actually bought the dvd of that at AUSA last year.

As for Takahashi, I really enjoyed her Laughing Target and Fire Tripper OVAs. But yeah, never got that much into Inuyasha or ranma :\

-

Speaking of what I'd like to see a remake of, Crusher Joe. A Crusher Joe TV series or movie would be awesome.

rofl. digivolved. that was awesome zac. But really, if you're talking directors you gotta bring up Yuzo Sato, and Yasuhiro Yoshiura. and I didn't pay close enough attention to the names you ran off, but if you didn't mention him you gotta bring up Ryutaro Nakamura.

good ANNCast this week but it was soo long D:
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

I like the longer ones since I tend to listen at work or while I'm doing something else tedious. You can always hit pause and come back to it later.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

Okay the WHOA WHY IS THIS EPISODE SO LONG comments really make no sense to me as last week's episode was 10 minutes longer than this one but nobody was complaining about the length last week.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Interesting show this week. I can't decide whether that Aura Battler dub sounds just plain bad or so bad it's good.

Zac wrote:

Okay the WHOA WHY IS THIS EPISODE SO LONG comments really make no sense to me as last week's episode was 10 minutes longer than this one but nobody was complaining about the length last week.

As far as I'm concerned, the longer the better.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

I think it's because[ last weeks episode was so long that i make the comment this week. cause it's seem to be becoming a habit of going so long.. I mean, I like the long ones alright, but I do usually have to listen to them in two or more parts just because of their length, and then I forget all of what is talked about in the first part of it D:
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
All the people talking about how cheap Vol 11 and 12 of Dunbine are....

I HATE YOU.

Seriously....I spent 100 bucks for Vol 12 and people are talking about it for 4 bucks? I curse your luck. Mad

And about Raijin-Oh....its been 4 months since the first volume came out, and if its 50 some episodes....it'll be 6 years before its fully released if summer is the expected 2nd volume release.

I'm a huge fan of older anime, since I grew up in the 80s, most of the knocks it gets for being.....not very pretty don't really bother me, since that was what quality passed for back then.

Oh, and I have about 2500 anime dvds.....does that make me a hoarder too?
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Lys wrote:
Or for recommendations/more accessible info, look up some of the manga blogs around—Manga Curmudgeon, Slightly Biased Manga, MangaBlog and many others. Lots of folks are discussing the series they loved and will miss.

Thanks for those recommendations. Reading these lists just upsets me that DC did nothing to promote these series. Some of these sound really interesting, and obviously loved by their readers. I now wish I could've found these titles earlier to support them. There's about a half dozen I want to try, but there's no point if they never will be completed. Sad

I understand how you feel completely. Like Lissa, I had read almost no CMX until about two weeks prior to the announced shuttering. I was going to go through all of their titles, and find the best of the best for a project. I received several volumes of CMX titles I'd ordered in the mail on the Tuesday the closure was announced.

It's sort of like manga fandom in this country has gone up against Kenshiro, or Brook: People's reactions are a) "CMX, aren't they the people who tried to take the panty shots out of Tenjho Tenge?" b) "Was CMX still around?" and c) "They never put out anything I heard of or cared about." But now the buzz and the recommendations are going around. There's going to be a time delay, but it's only after we take our fifth step or so that we'll understand what a grievous loss this was, when we suddenly keel over.

CMX put out over 70 titles, and only around 33 titles are unfinished or unreleased, so there's still quite a lot to appreciate. I would recommend looking up Shaenon Garrity's Overlooked Manga Festival entries for Swan, From Eroica With Love, and Moon Child to see the kind of stuff we (mostly) all missed.

I learned not to underestimate a lot of CMX's catalog. Emma and Astral Project are widely regarded as classics, as is Gon. I love Fire Investigator Nanase, a shonen series that's taught me several tell-tale signs of arson, and Monster Collection, a TCG tie-in that is actually good. And who knew that a shoujo Yu-Gi-Oh would work? Someone at CMX did, and they brought it to us. It's just a shame DC gave them no bookstore access and almost no marketing.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Justin named one of my formative anime series, Street Fighter II V, if only to complain about it. Make no mistake, it starts weak and gets worse - a 14-episode series, at most, spread into 29 often-tedious episodes. But the fight scenes were among my favorites for a loong time and Chun Li has never been as appealingly depicted in anime or manga as she was here, even if she ultimately added nothing to the "story". And yes, I include the original SFII movie in there, which made me fall asleep the first and only time I tried to see it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Yay, Justin named one of my formative anime series, Street Fighter II V, if only to complain about it. Make no mistake, it starts weak and gets worse - a 14-episode series, at most, spread into 29 often-tedious episodes. But the fight scenes were among my favorites for a loong time and Chun Li has never been as appealingly depicted in anime or manga as she was here, even if she ultimately added nothing to the "story". And yes, I include the original SFII movie in there, which made me fall asleep the first and only time I tried to see it.

Is this a joke?

Chun-Li has never been more Appealingly depicted? She was a TOUR GUIDE! The Legends of Chun-Li is a better depiction of her! The Director basically took one of the easiest characters to put in the story (since she's in interpol) and somehow managed to mess it up.

That TV show was horrible, the character designs where significantly worse than the american cartoon, the characters are rarely even close to the depiction of the anime, and the series is just plain boring.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
You weren't kidding about vol 12 of Dunbine. I found one on ebay for nearly $150.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:

Is this a joke?

Chun-Li has never been more Appealingly depicted? She was a TOUR GUIDE! The Legends of Chun-Li is a better depiction of her! The Director basically took one of the easiest characters to put in the story (since she's in interpol) and somehow managed to mess it up.

That TV show was horrible, the character designs where significantly worse than the american cartoon, the characters are rarely even close to the depiction of the anime, and the series is just plain boring.

I can see those glaring flaws - though the fights weren't terrible when they weren't padded with the same clips over and over - and in the end, the series was still among the first anime I saw and thus formative. I can't give it more hell than other boring fighting series, but I wouldn't recommend it in this point of time either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Justin: Forget ecchi. I consider Goldenboy to be one of the last "spontaneous" OVAs.

li'lgreenwolf:
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of hers, but Mermaid Saga was different than what I was used to with her, and I loved every minute of it.

I think when Zac says rehashing, he's referring to her output since Ranma.

Fayt: Never get scalped on OOP shit, man. Mofos are currently charging $75 for Baoh on Amazon, but you can get the tapes cheaper.

ABCB: Astral Project is ok, but isn't really a good follow-up to Old Boy, as it doesn't have a sense of tight pacing. Maybe it'll change by volume 3, though...

Knight: Now, now, say what you will about SF 2V, but there's no way it looks worse than the American cartoon.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Toradora has quite a good first half, but it falls apart in the second half (unless you particularly like forced melodrama and characters doing complete 180 degree turns because plot demands it)

Also, tsundere (which fits Taiga to a 'T') is a very very common character archtype, and qualifies as "moe" because while the girl acts tough on the outside, on the inside she is frail and naive even, which invokes that protective feeling that moe is known for.

It was nice to hear some praise for the Area 88 OVA as well. I recently bought the OVA and series and enjoyed both quite a bit.

Utena is actually pretty popular still. I never understood why people liked the movie when it was just so freaking different from the series. The Utena panel at ACen was well-attended for a fan panel at least.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat May 22, 2010 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I wish each podcast was at least 75 minutes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6