• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sengoku Basara, Eden of the East, Hetalia Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
They why are they near a white house. Did japan also build a White House in the show...... I think having a white house in any media form makes a huge reference to where the show it is places.

Episode 1 is in Washington D.C. Episodes 2-11 are in Tokyo. Now you know.... (waits for it)

Well Bourne Took Place in many places, Africa, Germany and even Russia, does that make it a series about Russia, Germany, and Africa?

All I'm saying is that Eden can easily be accepted by the American Public, more easier then most anime shows that show nothing of the U.S. that's all I'm saying.
I mean would the casual buyer/watcher rather watch, a show with a bunch of houses that don't look like theirs and places that they never seen/hear of or a show that has plenty of places they are familiar with from the start and then it moves them about in the world.

That is one of the reasons that the anime Fandom is so small. It's because a lot of the people that see it can't relate to what they are seeing, Architecturally at less. That is why shows like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach and most of Gundams do so well. They don't focus on Japan (visually or in reference) and if they do the usually step away form showing Japan for a long time (This is mostly pointed to Bleach).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Well Bourne Took Place in many places, Africa, Germany and even Russia, does that make it a series about Russia, Germany, and Africa?

No - but that's because it was made in America. This was made in Japan.
Quote:

All I'm saying is that Eden can easily be accepted by the American Public, more easier then most anime shows that show nothing of the U.S. that's all I'm saying.

I actually agree with that, but has less to do with this...
Quote:

I mean would the casual buyer/watcher rather watch, a show with a bunch of houses that don't look like theirs and places that they never seen/hear of or a show that has plenty of places they are familiar with from the start and then it moves them about in the world.

...which makes virtually no sense; I can see Americans perhaps getting hooked by the idea that "ooh! It's in America!" but would they not be disappointed when the very next episode has them deep in Japan and Japanese culture?

No, this could do well because of the story, characters, and high production values, not the setting.

And the reason anime isn't mainstream in America has a LOT to do with the animation ghetto, far more than whether something takes place in a "weird" foreign country. Heck, if that was the standard, then even the shows you mention would fail, since they take place in strange fantasy/sci-fi settings, while shows that take place in more Western or American settings should be selling like hot cakes all the time!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Drat, I was hoping the trailer would give us a sneak peek of the Hetalia dub. I suppose I have to wait longer. I think this dub is perhaps my most anticipated dub ever. Hetalia is a fast-speaking show which had me pausing a lot to read random bits, so English will probably make it easier to digest.

Then there's the whole accent thing... I was really anticipating an Emma dub now that I think about it, but that dream was shattered into a million pieces.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice previews. Good to see that Eden is coming straight to Blu-ray. Can't wait to see it again. I've been pretty satisfied with FUNi's HD products lately. DB Kai and FMA Brotherhood both looked and sounded as good or even better than their Japanese counterparts. I truly am glad to own these. Keep up the fabulous work!
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Man I love the preview for Eden of the East I actually tried watching it subbed but ended up just getting bored but now I want to go out and buy it, awesome job with making it look super interesting!
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Man I love the preview for Eden of the East I actually tried watching it subbed but ended up just getting bored but now I want to go out and buy it, awesome job with making it look super interesting!

Sorry if you got bored watching the fansub of Eden of East but a snazzy preview is not going to change the pacing of the anime. It will still be the same show you got bored with.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta say, that Eden of the East trailer is one of the best trailers I've seen from FUNi in a long time.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:

Sorry if you got bored watching the fansub of Eden of East but a snazzy preview is not going to change the pacing of the anime. It will still be the same show you got bored with.

You've got a point there, but it just goes to show that the trailer was so awsome that it made a guy who thought the show was boring want to go out and buy it anyway. Thats got to count for something, right?

Last edited by doubleO7 on Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:

I disagree, maybe for other people it would be the same but I just know for myself personally that snazzy trailers make me want to try at it longer, for this has happened to me numerous times with other shows. But if it ends up being the same thing, then oh well my loss, but it's just a weird thing that I have. The real reason why I gave up on it before I think was I didn't know what kind of thing they were going for, but this trailer makes what I have watched a lot more clearer if that makes sense. I don't know I just really like the trailer so I want to watch it again, does that make me shallow? Probably but oh well, I don't have much to do this summer anyway.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for Eden of the East. The other two don't appeal to me very much, but I will still stream an little of each just to see if my instincts are wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:

You should give it another shot. It gets very good.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Mistypearl wrote:

I disagree, maybe for other people it would be the same but I just know for myself personally that snazzy trailers make me want to try at it longer, for this has happened to me numerous times with other shows. But if it ends up being the same thing, then oh well my loss, but it's just a weird thing that I have. The real reason why I gave up on it before I think was I didn't know what kind of thing they were going for, but this trailer makes what I have watched a lot more clearer if that makes sense. I don't know I just really like the trailer so I want to watch it again, does that make me shallow? Probably but oh well, I don't have much to do this summer anyway.

Well how much more obvious does Eden of East need to be for you in order to portray it was going for a mystery drama feel...the protaganist waking up naked with a gun and an apartment full of passports just not enough?

So a 60sec trailer makes the actual shows purpose more clear. The innocuous trailer has less information in it than the plot summary of the show on ANN.

If you watched the first episode and were bored with those scenes then you will get bored more often as Eden of the East has high points and low points, the intro was one of the highest points of the series. No snazzy trailer will help you overcome your admitted boredom when the show slows the pace.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Some of those clips in the Eden of the East trailer are from the movie I think. I hope by complete collection they mean it includes the films too. I can't wait to own this since I love the show quite a bit. Cool
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Anyone else get the feeling that the dub of My Bride is A Mermaid is going to be epic?

Only if Funimation can get Jodi Benson to play the part! Laughing
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
The Hetalia trailer reminds me very much of the promo videos for Little Big Planet and EyePet- that's not a bad thing, but it does seem a bit off for me... a smidge too 'laid-back', maybe?

Perhaps I'm just miffed that there's a release date, but no bloody preorders are open! C'mon guys, TRSI is having a Funi sale right now! I have money set aside for this! Just get things set up and I'll buy it! (While you're at it, get Eden of the East up too- it looks good, I wouldn't mind picking it up. Very Happy )
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Some of those clips in the Eden of the East trailer are from the movie I think. I hope by complete collection they mean it includes the films too. I can't wait to own this since I love the show quite a bit. Cool

Nah, I remember seeing all of those clips and I haven't seen the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3