• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sengoku Basara, Eden of the East, Hetalia Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for Hetalia.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Well Bourne Took Place in many places, Africa, Germany and even Russia, does that make it a series about Russia, Germany, and Africa?

No - but that's because it was made in America. This was made in Japan.
Quote:

All I'm saying is that Eden can easily be accepted by the American Public, more easier then most anime shows that show nothing of the U.S. that's all I'm saying.

I actually agree with that, but has less to do with this...
Quote:

I mean would the casual buyer/watcher rather watch, a show with a bunch of houses that don't look like theirs and places that they never seen/hear of or a show that has plenty of places they are familiar with from the start and then it moves them about in the world.

...which makes virtually no sense; I can see Americans perhaps getting hooked by the idea that "ooh! It's in America!" but would they not be disappointed when the very next episode has them deep in Japan and Japanese culture?

No, this could do well because of the story, characters, and high production values, not the setting.

And the reason anime isn't mainstream in America has a LOT to do with the animation ghetto, far more than whether something takes place in a "weird" foreign country. Heck, if that was the standard, then even the shows you mention would fail, since they take place in strange fantasy/sci-fi settings, while shows that take place in more Western or American settings should be selling like hot cakes all the time!

Well, let me make scene of this for you. Movie and shows that want to be successful in the U.S. first start of on what the viewer may knew and work form there. So, it's much better to show the white house in the first episode and then move one to to other places. Now if they didn't show the white house most causal watchers would turn to another channel and move on, but since they do then the view get hooked and want to find out more about the story, that is when the characters, plot and what not comes into play. The main thing here is to get casual watchers to give the show a chance. You can have the best story, but if there is no hook to for the casual watcher from the beginning then the only ones that will be watching are the fans, which there isn't that much, when compared to casual watchers.

Even Bourne started off with some poeple in the U.S. talking about some mission and it goes to Germany and people that speak German in a few minutes. Now if they took out the first seen and just showed the part of where Bourne is on a boat and didn't even bother to put in the part that explain it all. The only ones that would watch are the fans and the curious ones, which there wouldn't be too many.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Heck, if that was the standard, then even the shows you mention would fail, since they take place in strange fantasy/sci-fi settings, while shows that take place in more Western or American settings should be selling like hot cakes all the time!

Here is the mentality, if they can't include us then don't include anyone. Sort of like in elementary school where, if you can't share with everyone then don't share with anyone.

Shows that are about other worlds tend to have houses like in the U.S. too boot and they explore all kinds of scenery, where as shows Based in Japan are very heavy on showing Japan and it's contently Japanese scenery. To a casual viewer, it's like looking at a painting that they can't understand for too long. It get boring fast. Now if you can tell what the painting is about then you can stare at it for hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3