• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Google: Unauthorized Manga Site Is Among Top 1,000 Sites

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
IN case anyone thinks this is "innocent" infringement, and the banner ads on that site are just to cover costs...

The guy who owns OneManga is looking to possibly sell it. He's asking for an 8 figure sum (yes, 10s of millions of dollars).

That's just plain disgusting. He's pretty much living out the htmlcomics guy's dream http://adistantsoil.com/2010/05/05/pirate-website-raided-by-fbi/

Anyone who supports scum like this is a horrible, stupid wretched excuse for a fan. Though the people running it are a billion times worse, and I hope it's supporters eventually wise up and support real manga. Because they seem to honestly love manga, they're just really misinformed and misguided about that love, all because of scum who take advantage of them like OneManga. You people are being USED.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I admit to using Onemanga for Negima, Bleach, Ah My Goddess and Air Gear only because the manga here takes too long to come out. I do have the latest english volumes available so I still do support the companies that publish the manga by purchasing them, but they are still too far behind, imho, with the current tankoban in japan.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
DELC_17 wrote:
I admit to using Onemanga for Negima, Bleach, Ah My Goddess and Air Gear only because the manga here takes too long to come out. I do have the latest english volumes available so I still do support the companies that publish the manga by purchasing them, but they are still too far behind, imho, with the current tankoban in japan.

I know you may be an addict for your manga, but you don't NEED Onemanga or the Fox place to get your fix. Go to whatever group who is scanlating the illegal thing directly. Don't give that scum a profit off your views and clicks.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
DELC_17 wrote:

I know you may be an addict for your manga, but you don't NEED Onemanga or the Fox place to get your fix. Go to whatever group who is scanlating the illegal thing directly. Don't give that scum a profit off your views and clicks.

Or just wait for awhile and buy the actual books. All those titles are licensed. Is having patience really that hard? It's not a valid excuse- it just exposes the sort of lame, awful entitlement that can empower a site like OneManga to profit as much as it has.

Defending it after Tempest posted he's planning to sell it for MILLIONS OF DOLLARS is questionable logic. I hope you think about what you're doing, and why it's wrong. Dark Horse has been lovingly publishing Oh My Goddess for over a decade, with some of the best translators and talent in the industry bringing it to us in english, and it's pretty horrible that some fan empowers OneManga rather then appreciating their hard work.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually did used to go to the sites directly, but unfortunately, the series aren't always updated by the same group. White Wing, for example, seems to be the current fastest for Negima, and I've been unable to find a site for them. I do not click on any of their ads or donate to them as that I do find disreputable. If I had a way, other than onemanga, of finding out with a single click or single place for updates of who put out the latest translation for the series I read, I'd do it.

P.S. I LOVE the OMG translations and I do believe they are the best, but they do take quite a long time between book releases. It's one of my favorite collections to see them all sitting on the shelf right next to each other.

Last edited by DELC_17 on Fri May 28, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
DELC_17 wrote:
I actually did used to go to the sites directly, but unfortunately, the series aren't always updated by the same group. White Wing, for example, seems to be the current fastest for Negima, and I've been unable to find a site for them. I do not click on any of their ads or donate to them as that I do find disreputable. If I had a way, other than onemanga, of finding out with a single click or single place for updates of who put out the latest translation for the series I read, I'd do it.

All the manga you listed ARE LICENSED. The way is called just waiting to read the real editions. Not searching all over the internets for the latest chapter. If more people like you supported the legit editions, we'd be getting titles like AirGear a heckuva lot faster, rather then having them shifted into Omnibus editions released a handful of times a year.

if you get bored while waiting for new volumes, reading somethinglese, whether it's other manga or library books or novels or something. Don't contribute to OneManga.

I really hope you're buying the actual books, and not just reading it all online. Though I imagine the majority of the fans on OneManga are just reading it online. And that's why it has to die.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree. I wish more people would purchase the actual manga as well and not just leech off freebies on the internet. I have 2 bookcases dedicated to all the manga I've purchased, and don't like the idea of adding omnibus editions in. When I saw that the next air gear will be an omnibus edition, my heart sank a little. I hope that doesn't happen to Yotsuba&!
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
This makes me sick. 4.2 million unique visitors a month, and a billion page views? Maybe this is the wake-up call manga publishers need to attempt the digital market. That is a lot of lost money.

How much money it is in lost paper manga sales is what the leeches will argue ... but hell, this is a noticeable lost revenue just in terms of online content.

At an average revenue of $0.0001 per page view, that would be $100,000/month, $1.2m/yr.

At an average revenue of $0.001 per page view, that would be $1m/month, $12m/yr.

And most of it from the big mainstream titles.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
How much money it is in lost paper manga sales is what the leeches will argue ... but hell, this is a noticeable lost revenue just in terms of online content.

At an average revenue of $0.0001 per page view, that would be $100,000/month, $1.2m/yr.

At an average revenue of $0.001 per page view, that would be $1m/month, $12m/yr.

And most of it from the big mainstream titles.

Any way you look at it, that adds up to a lot of lost revenue. Makes me wonder why books are only 10 dollars and what that money actually goes towards.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

90% of that manga is unlicensed, so there IS no other way to read it. I'm reading ZKV and Sekirei. There's no other way to read those.

Even if it's unlicensed stuff, not paying the creators=MEGA LAME. There's no excuse for that. It's not like you have a right to read them just because they exist- you should pay the creator for it, or obtain it through otherwise legal means.

And let's be serious, they make all their $$$$ by posting Shonen Jump manga VIZ is releasing. I seriously doubt Sekirei is responsible for all those page views.

These people and the Fox site even put up scans of material created for the english market! When people like these are scanning the work of domestic cartoonists [including some I've known personally] it just makes me sick. And as a tangent, I find the fact that an artist living 1/2 way around the world being valid excuse to rip them off pretty disgusting. The people running these sites are poor excuses for human beings, and in no way fans. They're just leeches out to make a quick buck off of naive fans like you.

There's a lot of fans with good intentions who are being taken advantage of, sometimes unknowingly or knowingly [which makes them a part of the whole disgusting affair that is OneManga], and I think there's something wrong about that.

I totally agree with this. I don't know how other people can argue about it. They are using other people's work to make money.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
There was recently a poll for paying subscribers on Crunchy Roll. My suggestion was actually making a legit version of One Manga.

When you consider ad revenue and subscription revenue there has to be some profit there. People who wouldn't by still click on pages. Magazines and news papers seem to be closing in on a digital format. Whats stopping manga distributors?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
This makes me sick. 4.2 million unique visitors a month, and a billion page views? Maybe this is the wake-up call manga publishers need to attempt the digital market. That is a lot of lost money.

Discussion over. You win.
Smile

The fact a manga site hit in the top 1000 is incredible news, regardless of legality.

I'd hate to be the CEO of any manga company waking up to this news while getting ready to attend a shareholder's meeting.

When approaching this issue, we have to remember that there is a distinction between reading a comic in its serialized form and purchasing a physical, collected volume both in terms of publishing strategy and consumer mentality. Manga is designed to be serialized and initially read in cheap, disposable magazines. Reading a comic in that format (regardless of whether or not you actually paid to read it in its serialized form) isn't supposed to encroach on buying collected volumes, it's supposed to encourage it. I know that a massive index site like OneManga is quite a bit different since series' are made available to read indefinitely, but I've noticed that the mentality of serialization has been sort of lost on critics of the fandom and market surrounding manga.

That being said, OneManga's business practices are pretty detestable (I certainly won't be using them anymore), but they are essentially reaping the benefits of filling a vacuum. Publisher's in general need to wake up to the fact that online serialization that doesn't involve clunky, proprietary software is going to become a necessity if it isn't already.

Olivine wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

90% of that manga is unlicensed, so there IS no other way to read it. I'm reading ZKV and Sekirei. There's no other way to read those.

http://www.bk1.jp/
https://www.clubjapan.jp/exec/_magazine/

Yup...no other way.

Hilarious.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
DELC_17 wrote:
Any way you look at it, that adds up to a lot of lost revenue. Makes me wonder why books are only 10 dollars and what that money actually goes towards.

You're not being robbed here since books are 10 dollars, there's lots that go into this.

First, the complaint that tankubon is about 640 yen in Japan does NOT mean you should be getting it for the same price over here. Take into consideration that they print thousands of copies of a title for one go. The more they can print at once, the more money they print at once. The United States and Canada may be bigger in population, but number of people here who read manga is miniscule to Japan. Massive prints to save money won't work here.

Next, if you've ever seen a Japanese edition of a manga, you more than likely have seen how cheap/thin the paper is. It's pretty much all recycled, and practically see-through. There are exceptions to this, but most every manga I've imported from Japan has low quality paper.

The next thing to take into consideration is bringing it over here to America, and the money that goes into producing that English edition. First you need to buy the license, those aren't cheap. Then you need to hire a staff with everything from translators, graphic editors, printers, editors, etc. This extra edition of work will automatically make your English edition more expensive than the Japanese edition.

Now that you have a book that cost slightly more than the Japanese counterpart to produce, you need to sell it. Guess what? Not only do you, the publisher of the manga need to make a profit, but the book store selling the book needs to make a profit off it as well.

I work at a book store, and I'll tell you right now our discount at buying books is around 40% of the cover price. A 9.99$ manga costs us around 6 dollars to buy. That means we, the book store, earn a profit of around 4 dollars for every book we sell, if we sell it at the cover price. Now throw in the price of bills, paying for freight, shipping for returning books that didn't sell, book seller association fees, rent, etc, and that profit margin of 4 dollars gets even slimmer.

THIS IS WHAT YOU MONEY GOES TO. If you don't have enough people buying the books, the prices on the books will only go up.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Fri May 28, 2010 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

There is a lot of interest in free content over the internet. Who woulda thunk.
Do you think manga publishers will provide free content or charge. How about collaborating with each other to place multiple franchises in one location.

A site like this run by manga publishers would not have been nearly as large or prevalent.

After reading some of the comments it seems the outrage is rather strong and misplaced. The absence of this site would not have gotten AirGear to you any faster.

Good luck selling a manga scanalation site for $8 million because estimations are based off of page views. FYI each page of a manga counts as a page viewed. If the person really is getting 500K per month because of that then the advertisers are stupid.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
You're not being robbed here since books are 10 dollars, there's lots that go into this.

Whoa, whoa, I think you misunderstood the way I said that. I was wondering why they don't charge MORE. I remember paying 45 dollars for a VHS tape of Ranma 1/2 movie 1 Subbed from viz video. I'd gladly pay inflated prices because I support the manga that I love to read. But thanks for explaining what the money goes into. Seems that not much is actually given to the creators, which is kinda sad as I've heard that manga artists don't make much money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11