• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Google: Unauthorized Manga Site Is Among Top 1,000 Sites

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
At an average revenue of $0.0001 per page view, that would be $100,000/month, $1.2m/yr.

It's worth noting that OM doesn't run ads on the pages with the actual manga images.

So if people read 2-3 pages with ads, followed by 16 -32 pages without, OM is only earning revenue on about 10% of their pageviews.

I have no idea what the CPM rates they get are, but they're probably pretty low. So their actually RPM isn't going to be very high at all.

-t
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
IN case anyone thinks this is "innocent" infringement, and the banner ads on that site are just to cover costs...

The guy who owns OneManga is looking to possibly sell it. He's asking for an 8 figure sum (yes, 10s of millions of dollars).

I can only hope that if someone does decide to pony up the cash to buy the site they pull a "Crunchyroll" and take it legit. Work with Japanese publishers to get these online in English the right way. It really amazes me that this hasn't happened yet, I would have expected it to happen before anime did. There's a few domestic alternatives in the works, but we really need to start looking at what's active in Japan right now.

Paploo wrote:
itanshi1 wrote:
Speaking of Mangafox, I was at a funimation panel last year. They were showing off their website, on about their streaming etc. The predominant banner ad was for Mangafox, no joke. I hadn't even heard of it before then, but sure I did right after :/

That's why I hate GoogleAds. They allow these scum to have ads on their network so they're EVERYWHERE, even on my webcomic sometimes [Girlamatic's editors sent e-mails to Google, but Google is Evil/Busy so what'll they do?]

This makes me angry more than anything. Google should have higher standards for their ads and should be held legally accountable in some way for advertising illegal services. But then again it seems like the majority of Google Ads are questionable sites designed to farm email addresses and cell phone numbers so I would guess Google really doesn't care how they make their money.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I only used OneManga to read FMA, because I wanted to know what happened. But I'm not reading the last chapter and I'm buying the books when I have extra money.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure who runs the adds on Blizzard forums, but its always funny when gold seller adds pop up on there site.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
agila61 wrote:
At an average revenue of $0.0001 per page view, that would be $100,000/month, $1.2m/yr.

It's worth noting that OM doesn't run ads on the pages with the actual manga images.

So if people read 2-3 pages with ads, followed by 16 -32 pages without, OM is only earning revenue on about 10% of their pageviews.

I have no idea what the CPM rates they get are, but they're probably pretty low. So their actually RPM isn't going to be very high at all.

-t

Yes they do! There's ads right above and below the manga image. On each page. The only page that doesn't have banner ads are the pages that list the chapters of the manga, and those have google ads instead.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
DELC_17 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
You're not being robbed here since books are 10 dollars, there's lots that go into this.

Whoa, whoa, I think you misunderstood the way I said that. I was wondering why they don't charge MORE. I remember paying 45 dollars for a VHS tape of Ranma 1/2 movie 1 Subbed from viz video. I'd gladly pay inflated prices because I support the manga that I love to read. But thanks for explaining what the money goes into. Seems that not much is actually given to the creators, which is kinda sad as I've heard that manga artists don't make much money.

Lol, you're right, I noticed it after I posted it. I was seeing red over this stuff to begin with, and misinterpreted it.
Anime smile + sweatdrop
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:

After reading some of the comments it seems the outrage is rather strong and misplaced. The absence of this site would not have gotten AirGear to you any faster.

Not necessarily true. It's been proven the presence of scanlations, particularly manga aggregators, hurt the publishing industry. People are more upset about that than their favorite series being released at a slower pace. Aggregators allow easy access to anyone.

So, I remember reading a Tokyopop post a few years back. A user asked if there was a way Kindaichi Case Files could be released at a faster rate. I remember the reply being along the lines of "Get together -some number in the thousands- of your closest friends and start buying the series". Also, it's noteworthy that Higurashi, a series by Yen Press, is the only series so far that will be released on an every other month basis (this will start in a few months). Higurashi is a more popular title and made the NYT list a few times. It's also fairly long and ongoing. If it was a lackluster seller then I doubt it would move off of that every-three-months schedule.

So, fans do make a different. It's shown that people visit the scanlation sites. If the aggregators were gone, could Air Gear be on a faster schedule with a better release? Maybe, maybe not. But we don't know.

EDIT:
Found the post I was referring to by chance. Turns out it was from 2006.
http://messageboard.tokyopop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580

"At the current time, the successive volumes are scheduled for every 6 months. Unless the series starts selling a lot better, it will not come any faster. So if you want it to go faster, get 4,000 of your close friends to buy it."
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
DELC_17 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
You're not being robbed here since books are 10 dollars, there's lots that go into this.

Whoa, whoa, I think you misunderstood the way I said that. I was wondering why they don't charge MORE. I remember paying 45 dollars for a VHS tape of Ranma 1/2 movie 1 Subbed from viz video. I'd gladly pay inflated prices because I support the manga that I love to read. But thanks for explaining what the money goes into. Seems that not much is actually given to the creators, which is kinda sad as I've heard that manga artists don't make much money.

Well, most manga/comic creators do get royalties for international editions of their comics, so some money does go to the creator. It's just that some of the money also goes to all the other people who help bring it to us, from the publishers in Japan, to the publishers here, to distributors, to the nice people in your community working at the bookstore or library who bring you your manga in your hometown.

So yeah, obviously the whole 10 bucks doesn't go to creators, but some of it does, and a lot of it goes to all the honest, hardworking people along the way who help bring it to us.

Which is much better then going to some scum looking to make millions off of everyonelse's hard work, and the naive, stupid nature of a sector of fandom.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I can only hope that if someone does decide to pony up the cash to buy the site they pull a "Crunchyroll" and take it legit. Work with Japanese publishers to get these online in English the right way. It really amazes me that this hasn't happened yet, I would have expected it to happen before anime did. There's a few domestic alternatives in the works, but we really need to start looking at what's active in Japan right now.

This makes me angry more than anything. Google should have higher standards for their ads and should be held legally accountable in some way for advertising illegal services. But then again it seems like the majority of Google Ads are questionable sites designed to farm email addresses and cell phone numbers so I would guess Google really doesn't care how they make their money.

Emerje

Tangent-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10119562.stm Google also helped spread that nasty Russian virus that was a fake antivirus. Classy!

Anyhoo, I don't think they should buy OneManga- instead they should just take ShonenJump.com or Tokyopop.com and add a lot of digital content, take down the large pirate sites, and pimp their own sites as a replacement. I like the CrunchyRoll is no longer a piracy site, but their history makes me hestitant to watch anything on their site. It still feels like I'm rewarding the wrong people [though I still point friends who watch stuff online to them, since they are paying the anime companies]

I think Rinne, http://www.sigikki.com and Yen Plus's plans to go online are a sign companies are looking into this stuff, and I hope they find the right answer that please fans while keeping them out of the poor house.
DELC_17

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Upon reading all the replies, it made me wonder why I read those 4 manga titles and not the others I'm collecting, like Keroro Gunso, Shaman King, School Rumble, Ouran High School Host Club, Hellsing, Gunsmith Cats Remix, Yotsuba&! and others. I came up the point that Ah megami sama, Bleach, Negima and Air Gear are drama or action based and have interconnecting stories since each chapter normally extends into the next. Most of the titles I listed above do not, with the exceptions of Hellsing, Ouran, Shaman King, and Gunsmith cats Remix. The reason I don't read scanlations for those is because Hellsing isn't published in japan frequently, so I don't mind waiting, Gunsmith Cats Remix is finished and I'm just waiting to get the final book, Ouran's stories are quite long and they are published fairly quickly, and shaman king is published every other month and is already completed in japan, so there's no reason to search for updates or read ahead.

If Air gear (11 volumes behind), Negima (5 volumes behind), Bleach (13 volumes behind), and Ah Megami Sama (5 volumes behind), came out once every 2 months to catch up with the current stories, I'd stop reading OM or scanlations. Also, if any crunchyroll type site for manga, which required monthly subscriptions that were paid to the creators, so people could reach their favorite manga, I'd support that as well and still purchase the books.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Lol, it's hilarious listening to many of the self righteous pitchfork brigade on here. Considering that anime/manga fandom is niche, here's betting many of you same fans have used One Manga at some point. On top of that, how quickly you all forget that Crunchyroll while now on legit street, comes from the same nefarious background.

I admit to using One Manga on a regular basis, to read material that is highly unlikely to ever see western release (I'll buy them if they do and I like it enough) or stuff that has gone on hiatus in the west to never return. For this, I see no harm in chasing scans of Area 88, Guyver etc, if I can find them, as I haven't been served them in full officially. I'd love to buy both, but while I can get volumes of Guyver from Singapore in english, Area 88 is out of print in english, and no one wnats to re-release it. A big shame, as a cool manga classic is lost to the sands of time, unless you want to import all 23 untranslated volumes from japan.

Sure, I've seen some english scans of western releases on there, but I'll steer clear of those, as there's plenty variety of more interesting unlicensed manga to try out, the likes of which we will never see officially.

Besides this site being around and getting such hits, I still buy manga I like. As for One Manga going legit, its less likely to happen like Crunchyroll, as One Manga is more of an indexing tree, with the content actually spread out from many different smaller sites. Would I pay to read from One Manga? With reasonable pricing, better site and features etc, probably, yes. The problem is though, that sites like these are not only read by U.S fans, but english reading manga fans globally.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Some of the big Shounen Jump titles don't even have their chapters legally available to the English speaking/reading audience within ONE FULL YEAR of their Japanese release, yet there are people surprised that some people would go out and actively seek this content out online however they can get it?

I'm not making any moral judgments about this, but the anime industry has managed to understand that one of the better ways to combat piracy is to beat pirates to the punch. One Piece's anime is available, legally, subbed in English, one hour after broadcast in Japan. One Piece's manga, however, is another matter altogether. The latest legally available chapter in English dates from about one full year ago, and it's only available by buying the Shonen Jump magazine. And they're only that close by virtue of already skipping YEARS of the manga to get even that far. It doesn't take a whole lot of brain power to see where at least part of the problem might be...

One Manga has gotten this big because they provide what the market clearly wants. No, they shouldn't actually be ALLOWED to provide what the market wants, but they do. The nice thing, however, is that means the market research is already done, it's already incredibly obvious what the manga fanbase wants. Licensing issues seem to be the only thing that could be a barrier preventing legitimate manga providers from following the same sort of model that sites like One Manga do, i.e. posting ad-supported English translated versions of new manga chapters roughly simultaneously with Japanese release. Viz has some things online already, some Shounen Sunday stuff, brief previews of their major manga titles, etc., but clearly that's not enough.

For better or worse, this digital, always connected world doesn't wait for the publishing practices and business models of a bygone era. Is it commendable? No. Is it possibly a sad commentary that our society has become so impatient and ADD that waiting even days for something (anything) to become available is often too much to ask? Yeah, probably. But that's the way it is. Adapt or die. Simple as that.

Last edited by MetatronM on Fri May 28, 2010 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
agila61 wrote:

I was referring to the amount of revenue stolen from the creators of the work, not the amount of revenue received by the rip-off artist ... just as its not uncommon for a break and enter thief to get less for the items stolen than the items would be worth at auction.

What might get the attention of the publishers is the potential even at commercialization averaging well under a one tenth of a cent.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

90% of that manga is unlicensed, so there IS no other way to read it. I'm reading ZKV and Sekirei. There's no other way to read those.

http://www.bk1.jp/
https://www.clubjapan.jp/exec/_magazine/

Yup...no other way.
if that's a joke..lol.

if not. they meant in english
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

So, fans do make a different. It's shown that people visit the scanlation sites. If the aggregators were gone, could Air Gear be on a faster schedule with a better release? Maybe, maybe not. But we don't know.

Precisely that. Talking about AirGear was done because it was commented that the absence of OneManga or scanalations sites would mean AirGear would have been faster.

There are no case studies that show a direct or large correlation to free content over the net and lost sales.
Most people getting free content in this manner would not buy the product anyway.
I am all for laws and doing the right thing but I am not delusional enough to think that stopping free content over the internet would play much of a role in adding to the profits of businesses in these finical times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11