• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gen Fukunaga on the status of Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So, it's just a matter if the right buyer (for Funimation) with the right price (for Navarre) comes along. But if the right buyer with the right price doesn't come along, they'll just continue operating together and make the most of it.

Yeah, it's never a bad thing when your worst case scenario is "everyone continues making gobs of money."
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
For once, I really and I mean really hope I read that article wrong. Is Funimation going out of business? If so, this will seriously create a giantic impact on the anime industry and English audio dubbing.
Wraps a big Internet arm around Teriyaki Terrier.

It's okay friend. The company isn't dying, they're just finding new people to work with. Cool

While there is a potential for a problem, especially if they are bought by a micro-manager/overly-optimistic entity, the idea according to what Gen Fukunaga said is to keep the company operating as it has been, to keep the company whole and to generally try to find a buyer that doesn't suck.

This interview actually makes me a bit less concerned about this whole deal. I can understand the panic though. I mean, how often do we even get good news lately? Plus this interview and the sale news just seems bad to many people because it involves a sale.

Sure, buying and selling companies or parts of companies is normal for the business world but for the average person, if you're selling something you own, it's either because you just plain don't want it any more or you have no choice. Selling has a negative vibe to many people because most of us are buyers, which we associate with financial success. Sellers are people who need money.

And since it's mentioned that if the bids don't come in high enough, no sale will happen, I think we have a lot less to worry about.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
Funimation made money for Navarre, but the companies are headed in two different directions. Navarre is looking to sell Funi, making themselves a profit and getting Funimation a more compatible business partner. This is good thing for both of them.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Despite all the people being optimistic, I read the first reply (the sale) as "Funimation hasn't been doing as well as Navarre has been expecting, hence they have to sell to appease shareholders", which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if true.

Except that's not the case. And as Justin said in the latest ANNCast, FUNi is being sold because Navarre probably isn't the right company to own it.

Also the fact that Blu-ray sales are commented as being "very good" is reason for small celebration. Any positive anime-related news is these days.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I really doubt it. In fact the idea of my favorite Western game or book getting a Funimation produced anime treatment and then a Funimation dub is giving me a headache. Maybe a tumor.
Funimation co-producing Western themed anime causes cancer!

Joudan desu. Mostly.
Yep, I heard Afro Samurai and Witchblade both based on western properties and/or culture were two of Funi's worst sellers Rolling Eyes . People like me who like those titles have a reason to be excited. If that kind of thing isn't for you cool, but many people did enjoy those titles.

Afro Samurai was not a Funimation co-production nor an adaptation of some popular Western intellectual property or culture, unless you think having an afro and being black is enough to signify ones culture. It was a collaboratoin with Gonzo, Samuel L Jackson, and the mangaka. The voice track was not a Funi dub.
I have no problem with the title.

Witchblade is not a Funimation co-production either. I have not seen it so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

My biggest concern is the fact Funimation wants to be involved in the production of the anime. They are the ones that will pick what Western ips would be suitable for anime rendering and they will play a part in the creation process and then the dub process.

I don't have much respect for how Funimation adapts anime now as they mess up changing the target demographic age. So having them venture into adapting popular Western games and books just means it is another venue for them to FUBAR.

If they want Western ideas why even bother with getting an anime rendition? Just get it produced by WB or Cartoon Network or is it just about having an anime title for status? Or the non-union work?

So people like me that dislike Funimations adaptation tendencies have reasons not to be excited.
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Hey count, are you gonna bitch and moan at Richard J. for responding to that guy too?

As for my remarks on dubs, I wasn't speaking directly about FUNi. I was just speaking in general. And in general, I know that dubs are more expensive to produce, and that companies such as Sentai/Adv and Bandai have severely cut back on their dubbing to save money and stay afloat. Following this ridiculously simple example further, if FUNi decided to do a few sub-only releases, then it would probably be because they wanted to save some money and avoid going under too. Gee, that was really hard to follow, wasn't it? (Oh noes, am I being a "dick?" Guess what, though? I don't care!)

Now, if you have any more asinine comments about what I've written, please do share them before I totally lose patience in indulging your bait or before a mod ends this off-topic string of posts.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The Count wrote:

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I really doubt it. In fact the idea of my favorite Western game or book getting a Funimation produced anime treatment and then a Funimation dub is giving me a headache. Maybe a tumor.
Funimation co-producing Western themed anime causes cancer!

Joudan desu. Mostly.
Yep, I heard Afro Samurai and Witchblade both based on western properties and/or culture were two of Funi's worst sellers Rolling Eyes . People like me who like those titles have a reason to be excited. If that kind of thing isn't for you cool, but many people did enjoy those titles.

Afro Samurai was not a Funimation co-production nor an adaptation of some popular Western intellectual property or culture, unless you think having an afro and being black is enough to signify ones culture. It was a collaboratoin with Gonzo, Samuel L Jackson, and the mangaka. The voice track was not a Funi dub.
I have no problem with the title.

Witchblade is not a Funimation co-production either. I have not seen it so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

My biggest concern is the fact Funimation wants to be involved in the production of the anime. They are the ones that will pick what Western ips would be suitable for anime rendering and they will play a part in the creation process and then the dub process.

I don't have much respect for how Funimation adapts anime now as they mess up changing the target demographic age. So having them venture into adapting popular Western games and books just means it is another venue for them to FUBAR.

If they want Western ideas why even bother with getting an anime rendition? Just get it produced by WB or Cartoon Network or is it just about having an anime title for status? Or the non-union work?

So people like me that dislike Funimations adaptation tendencies have reasons not to be excited.
I realize Funimation didn't co-produce either of those titles, my response to you was aimed at showing you that the east meets west idea can work.

As far as Afro Samurai goes. Black Lead, Hip-Hop/Rap soundtrack by American Musicians, mindless heavy violence, yeah I think that's more up Americas alley. No it's not based off western culture completely, but the influences are there more so than most other anime.

And I'm not trying to be rude but what do you mean by "I don't have much respect for how Funimation adapts anime now as they mess up changing the target demographic age"? If you are referring to their catalog then I've thought its been well rounded the past five years.

@LemonCookies

No I'm not going to "bitch and moan" at Ricard J. Why, because he was considerate about the issue and took the time to explain to Teriyaki Terrier what he/she didn't understand. You were not considerate at all but rude from the start. And you took no time to explain to Teriyaki Terrier what was missed. You just said you rude comments and left with a sense of satisfaction. And as for the dubs, Teriyaki Terrier was clearly talking about Funimation, so why would you bring up Bandai and Sentai? If you haven't grasped the fact that Funimation isn't in the same situation as the other two yet then like I said you have no business posting like you know what your talking about. Well if you want to respond go for it but I'm done with you. Goodnight.
crilix

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
FUNimation and the anime industry in general have dished out a lot of horsecrap PR over the years, and this one stinks as well. Take a few steps back and take a long look at the state of home video media - FUNimation has too much overhead to be profitable in such an environment. And their coproductions venture feels like the last desperate attempt to save the company. Fukunaga basically said they've given up on Japanese anime properties. If live-action stuff and American co-productions are the way of the future, then where does that leave anime? Why should we care if they're going to shift their business focus anyways?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:

Well, the real trick here, I think, is to create an anime based on a property that non-anime fans would be interested in and successfully market it to them. Sure, it'd be nice if the pre-existing anime fanbase buys them, but they're already buying anime. The real goal is to expand their market, and that means getting people who don't normally watch anime to buy it. By having titles which are based on popular American properties, they stand a much better chance of that then pretty much anything Japanese simply because the American market would already be aware of and potentially be fans of the American property.

A much better comparison than Afro Samurai or Witchblade would be something like the stuff that's being done with Marvel - like the upcoming Ironman anime. Something like that stands a chance of doing quite well if marketed correctly (though obviously we'll have to see how those do). There have been plenty of American cartoons based on American comic books and the like before. If Funimation's co-productions focus on stuff like that (or something similar), there's obviously a fanbase out there for that sort of thing. They just have to get their hands on the right property and manage to promote it properly. If they do that, then not only will they be able to make good money off of those, but the trailers on the DVDs/BDs and the like would likely have other anime content which is not related to American stuff which could then attract the viewers' interest and get them to buy more "normal" anime.

I think that the idea is quite sound and a very good one. The question is whether they'll manage to pull it off. And even if the average anime fan doesn't care for the co-productions at all, if they make money on them and bring in new fans to animedom, then it's a definite win for Funimation.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
I realize Funimation didn't co-produce either of those titles, my response to you was aimed at showing you that the east meets west idea can work.

As far as Afro Samurai goes. Black Lead, Hip-Hop/Rap soundtrack by American Musicians, mindless heavy violence, yeah I think that's more up Americas alley. No it's not based off western culture completely, but the influences are there more so than most other anime.

And I'm not trying to be rude but what do you mean by "I don't have much respect for how Funimation adapts anime now as they mess up changing the target demographic age"? If you are referring to their catalog then I've thought its been well rounded the past five years.

The mangaka wrote it in English with every intention at having a black lead. A black lead isn't exactly borrowing from Western culture as that is rare even here, as noted by Samuel L Jackson and reason for his interest in the show. Mindless violence is not culturally indicative of the West either, even though the violence was not mindless or random.
The music was made by the RZA who is from a group that is inspired by old kung fu flicks, full circle, but seeing as the mangaka intended the language of the show to be English it was fitting. Also it is not like it is the first time that kind of music has been in anime or is culturally limited to America.

Afro Samurai is an interesting product that wasn't a case of East meets West because being influenced is not the same as being based on Western culture. It was an innovative product not something one will see replicated every year.

My issue with demographic retooling is how many of the anime Funi picks up could be classified as R-15 in Japan: intended for mature audiences age 15 and up but when Funi dubs it the feeling I get is they are trying to get a PG rating. The shows would be still rated at TV14 but the dialogue sounds PG to me.
Yes there are exceptions like RIN or Shinchan, I am referring to the bulk of their shows not the exceptions.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The Count wrote:

The mangaka wrote it in English with every intention at having a black lead. A black lead isn't exactly borrowing from Western culture as that is rare even here, as noted by Samuel L Jackson and reason for his interest in the show. Mindless violence is not culturally indicative of the West either, even though the violence was not mindless or random.
The music was made by the RZA who is from a group that is inspired by old kung fu flicks, full circle, but seeing as the mangaka intended the language of the show to be English it was fitting. Also it is not like it is the first time that kind of music has been in anime or is culturally limited to America.

Afro Samurai is an interesting product that wasn't a case of East meets West because being influenced is not the same as being based on Western culture. It was an innovative product not something one will see replicated every year.

My issue with demographic retooling is how many of the anime Funi picks up could be classified as R-15 in Japan: intended for mature audiences age 15 and up but when Funi dubs it the feeling I get is they are trying to get a PG rating. The shows would be still rated at TV14 but the dialogue sounds PG to me.
Yes there are exceptions like RIN or Shinchan, I am referring to the bulk of their shows not the exceptions.
Okay I conseed Afro Samurai is a weak title to argue my point with. And as far as the ratings go I can't say much on that as I rarely pay attention to how Japan rates shows. But I've never got the feeling that Funi was trying to water down a title. Do you feel this way about most R1 dubs or just Funi's?

Last edited by The Count on Sat May 29, 2010 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Yeah, it's never a bad thing when your worst case scenario is "everyone continues making gobs of money."

Well, "gobs" is putting it quite strongly. According to Navarre's quarterly reports Funi is consistently performing, though they're not doing gangbusters. And even Gen's salary is public record. Hint: he's hardly a millionaire.

BTW guys, this information on both Funi's cashflow and revenues, though fairly general, is really easy to get (we even post news stories about it), so everyone postulating as if they KNOW that Funi is really doing bank/failing/about to die, you can either do your research or be called out as a TROLL (*coughCRILLIXcough*.
Vekou

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Lovely interview, now what the fudge are they doing with Hellsing?
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's expensive, and some of the titles weren't in original HD. So it makes them pretty hard to release a lot of this stuff on Bluray unless we literally go through a very expensive process and digitally remaster them.
Funimation PROTIP: Fire whoever does your BD remasters. Out of a cannon. Into the sun. What they are currently doing is NOT a very expensive remastering process, but a cack-handed over-filtering butchery. This same filtering could be done in about 5 minutes with avisynth, but shouldn't be done at all.
-kf

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Fukunaga basically said they've given up on Japanese anime properties. If live-action stuff and American co-productions are the way of the future, then where does that leave anime? Why should we care if they're going to shift their business focus anyways?

Uh, what? He didn't say they have given up on anime, what he said is "that's a great little business there, but it's not selling a million units per release." In other words there is still money to be made in anime, just not piles of it. Even if their focus does shift a bit, it doesn't mean they are going to leave anime behind, there is still enough money to be made for it to be worth their while. If they turn a decent profit from these new ventures, they can always hire new staff to take on the projects so they don't lose focus in anime. On the other hand if they don't make much money from them, why would they take focus off anime to produce something that isn't going to make them any more money than anime already is?

As an anime fan, I don't have high hopes that this will produce anything that I would be interested in watching. If something good does come out of it, it would be an expected surprise. I don't really care if they are any good or not though, what I do care about is the potential they have to make money for Funimation.
I don't think Funimation is foolish enough to bet the farm on these, so I'd guess the worst case scenario is that they produce a couple flops, lose a bit of money, and stick with what they already have. Best case scenario is that they make piles of money, and that could be a very good thing for anime fans.

Right now with the way the anime market is, and the economy in general, Funimation can't really take many risks. If they license something, they have to believe there are going to be decent enough sales figures to justify it. If they start making piles of money, they put themselves in a position to take a few more risks, and that means we as anime fans could get shows that may have never seen an r1 release otherwise.

Take an anime like Kaiba for example. I would say it is a quality product, it has nice production values and an intriguing story, things that Funimation is looking for. Kaiba isn't a favorite of mine, and I thought the last half suffered a bit in relation to how good the first half was, but it was a good anime overall. It is something I would like to own, the type of anime I would love to see more of, and also has a decent chance of never getting an r1 release. Despite the quality,and how well received it was, it is different enough that it may not have enough of an audience to justify the license. The way things are, Funimation can't really afford much of a sales risk. If however they start making piles of money they might be willing to look at it, and decide that there is enough quality to take a risk on it.

Again, I don't think Funimation is willing to risk so much on these co-productions that it would greatly affect their business if they fail. If the succeed with them though, there is the possibility I might be able to get some things that otherwise may have never seen the light of day here. It also means I might get to spend money on anime that is risky or experimental, which in turn means more of it has a chance of getting made, and I can't really argue with that.
I truly hope Funimation makes a ton of money from these co-productions, brings anime to a wider audience, and make the anime market as a whole much more profitable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6