• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - License to Krill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah, Dragonball's awesome and I always thought Krillin was very underrated fighter when he seemed to be the unlucky one.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote
Nice composition of shelf photos, Brandi Smile
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
I sampled the first episode of Vandread on Funimation Online, and had surmised that it was going to be another fanservice harem series. The concept of men and women warring against each other seems intriguing at a glance, but I'm not someone who enjoys reading a lot of men-and-women-are-different-from-each-other bullcrap strewn throughout a story, and it seemed like this series was going to represent that idealogy to a rediculous level, all the while fanservice-ing the female characters, so all things considered I gave it a pass.

Now I'm so surprised to read a really good reviw on it from Erin, and in finding out that it's not a harem series (like Oh My Goddess never was, although some still categorized it as such). I may well reconsider giving it another chance.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
I was on the fence with Vandread for a while, wondering to myself if I should check it out or not. After reading what was written about it, I'm now convinced that I should check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
Back when Vandread was sold as Vandread and Vandread II, I disliked Vandread enough that I did not want to see II. Forgot to update the Netflix queue, and started receiving it. I am glad I was lazy, I found the second half a lot more enjoyable than the first. I think this is because Hibiki started becoming more than just the annoying big talking shortness complex bundle of cliche that he was in the first.

There were some big plot holes, the number of clone generations required for men and women to completely forget what each other looks like did not seem long enough, and the effort of the powers that be to excise that information from all available data in a society that can travel in space seemed too great.

I do not own this yet, but will probably pick it up.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
I just want to say first off, my rant below is not meant as some heavy handed slam of the author of the quote, it just served as a (good?) jumping off point for something that I've been thinking about. So no offense intended.

Quote:
the needlessly flamboyant gay character

Taken at face value the personalities/make up of any group/cast of people/characters just are what they are. I doubt that from any show's cast that everyone is meant to be or going to be liked...kind of like real life. So how can one determine necessity? Any work of fiction, written of otherwise *could* be entirely contrived for a target audience or to satisfy some kind of formula, but unless the creator cops to it, it all becomes some kind of Rorschach test. It says more about the viewer than the work itself. For what anyone knows, to the creator, in this case it might be meant to be annoying, thought be hilarious or even some homage to a favorite uncle.

Recently, Gunslinger Girls was discussed. I think I did not get past the first volume(maybe the 2nd, it was awhile ago). However, I do remember that I stopped because it was too dark/tragic for me. There was a grimness that I didn't like. It never occurred to me that it would be seen as loli. I didn't find it overtly titillating at all(Strike Witches on the other hand could not have been more different to me...not that it had that appeal to me, but what it seemed it was attempting to have that appeal...). My point being that characters can just be what they are and not necessarily be any kind of Trojan Horse for some hidden agenda. Truth is people will take away what they want from what they see. Sometimes 'a cigar is just a cigar' and then sometimes....

As I *do* believe the Rorschach analogy as appropriate more often than not, of course this post may say a little or even a lot about me. What that is is up to you, hopefully it's not all bad. Shocked
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quote
It's always nice to read another interesting review of Vandread. Between the review and the other positive comments about it, I'll have to put in on the Rewatch Soon list. It's been awhile since I had seen it last, but I remember really enjoying it too and was surprised at how they handled the interplay between the two genders. (It wasn't always lowest common denominator.)
KariOhki

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
Mah, makes me wish I hadn't sprung for the Vandread thinpack set. But, I got my DVD cover signed by one of the English VAs, so it was worth it...

I've been through the series twice and loved it both times, though I think the second half is weaker than the first.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan wrote:
Despite the man:woman ratio, Vandread never turns into a harem show.

I don't want to start another quarrel about definitions, but I would like to know what you consider constitutes a harem show. Then I would understand better about Vandread.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
kenji_salk wrote:
Not to be a dick or anything, but I'm not sure how you missed it. Every set has had one commentary track.

I've heard the staff at ANN call these DVD "screeners". Could it be they're different than the actual DVDs from the stores?

On topic now:
Every week, I shop TRSI. I rummage through the Bargain Bin, seeing if anything new has been added or if missing volumes have been replaced. Then, I scan the Weekly Specials.

Currently, there's a 40% off sale on FUNimation titles and there are 5 complete sets of the original Dragon Ball sets. I don't want Z or any others, but just the original.

Yet, I've still not purchased a single one. There are over 100 episodes to this series and I'm always reminded of the "lightbulb" joke (the answer "One, but it takes 25 episodes to change it").

Reading the review of the series puts that passion to own back, but it's still just not enough to buy. I can't explain the apprehension. I dislike it. I want all 5 volumes. Maybe it's the final price with just one series. Maybe it's being afraid that once I watch them, I'll never want to see another DB episode again.

I think this July, I'll start a campaign to buy one box set per month. We'll see. There are just so many titles out there, spending the cash on just one series is difficult.

I know I'm being selfish here, but I wish every episode of DB can be had for $49.99. But alas, I know why there are 5 box sets.
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Is Kamina the new Asuka or something?

These reviews are nice, especially for Vandread, which I'd assumed was a harem comedy IN SPACE from the ads I've been seeing and the gimmicky backstory. Wasn't there a similar setup in Saber Marionette or something? By the way, if there's an undubbed OVA add-on, then would this be one of the first times that Funimation has released something at least partially without a dub? That's pretty unusual for them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
In all honesty the two OVAs are simply compilations of the first and second TV series. I don't recall there being anything new with them and thus only super hard core collectors would want them. And FUNi knew that super hard core collectors will probably end up double dipping to get the (rather pointless) OVAs because they're super hard core collectors.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Hey, Erin: sorry to hear you didn't get the gig. They way things are these days, I'm sure there were a ton of applicants - maybe even people who normally are farther up the rung, but who were willing to take a step back just for a job. Keep plugging away and better luck next time!
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'll never (voluntarily) watch Divergence Eve for the same reason I'll never read a Lady Death comic. When I look at those characters I can only think of back pain and breast reduction surgery. I know they're only cartoons, but I can't help it. I guess I could accept a sci-fi series with huge breasts if it took place exclusively in zero gravity.

Which is kinda sad, since Divergence Eve actually gradually turns into a pretty solid sci fi horror series once you get past a truly horrible first episode. I was even able to ignore the oversized boobs after a while, which I, too, found them far more distracting than sexy. (I prefer my women with more reasonable-looking figures anyway.)

On another topic, I wouldn't regard Vandread as a harem series because only the Hibiki/Dita relationship has any true romantic leanings. The thing I always enjoyed most about the series was the way it innocently uses statements that, with any other story premise, would have been double-entendres. ("I wanna combine with you!") That neither character involved ever recognized that they were supposed to have secondary meanings was always terribly amusing to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
I couldn't stand Divergence Eve but it had nothing to do with the character designs. In fact I went into it specifically expecting to enjoy the sexy ladies, but the direction (pacing mostly, I guess) and horrible CG made it a chore to watch. I gave up after a couple of episodes; I think maybe I watched three.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6