• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - License to Krill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight, what would you like us to do? Why do you think covers were created for books, vhs, dvds, etc?

If you are selling entertainment, you put your best face forward, and if we don't like your face, we move on.

Like I said, now there are many ways to better judge an anime before you dismiss it, like previews, trailers, or even full episodes, available with a click.

Still, you need voices you trust to give something outside your zone a shot. I think that if I see any cover with a bloated cast consisting of ton of girls and one guy, I can skip it because it's most likely a coookie-cutter harem show. I may be wrong. I might skip over the next great anime, but I can't help but take what's being communicated to me and interpret it that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Mohawk52 wrote:
One doesn't buy a chunk of meat because of the cute packaging around it. Same goes for Divergence Eve and the likes there be.

What about those bags of rice with bishounen on them?
Ah, but Divergence EVE isn't selling rice to adolescent boy's, and hopeless otaku, is it? Wink

Quote:
I guarentee that if I tried to tell you very important news wearing a very silly hat, you probably wouldn't be able to pay attention to what I was saying. Likewise, I might be so distracted watching Divergence Eve that I couldn't pay attention to the plot.
That depends on the news. If you were talking about Ladies Day at Ascot Racecourse, or some one famous receiving a Royal gonk from the Queen, that wouldn't phase me in the least, but if you looked like Eve and wore a funny hat, I can guarantee that I'll never notice the hat, and very little of what you would be telling me. You see it's in the genes. Wink

Chris Beveridge wrote:
If you've been watching anime for any amount of time, you should know better by now. While the show does indeed have many sweet moments, it's also very well written, beautifully animated and simply put, wonderfully done.
Said by a man who's obviously been completely desensitised by all the hentai he himself admitted he has watched. Hardly the best recommendation from a completely unbiased source. "Ignore the boobs", indeed. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Charred Knight, what would you like us to do? Why do you think covers were created for books, vhs, dvds, etc?

If you are selling entertainment, you put your best face forward, and if we don't like your face, we move on.

Like I said, now there are many ways to better judge an anime before you dismiss it, like previews, trailers, or even full episodes, available with a click.

Still, you need voices you trust to give something outside your zone a shot. I think that if I see any cover with a bloated cast consisting of ton of girls and one guy, I can skip it because it's most likely a coookie-cutter harem show. I may be wrong. I might skip over the next great anime, but I can't help but take what's being communicated to me and interpret it that way.

Try to keep an open mind, don't just state that certain types of anime are not your thing. I have enjoyed a mass variety of different anime, and I have been burned by a mass variety of different anime.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
YAY! Vandread got Shelf Worthy! I honestly think it's superior to its most similar title that I've seen (Nadesico), and it is certainly less ridiculous with characters who are far less obnoxious and annoying than other super-mecha shows (Gurren Lagaan). It's one of those titles that makes me think: "Gonzo... what happened?!?!???" Confused

well i wouldn't say that . Sure Nadesico is medicore at best , but it's a preety good series. Esepcially the new movie which outshines the series shockingly. Also gurren lagann is definately sure as hell not annoying. it's a preety good comedy mecha series. Though I REALLY REALLY hate the ending. It's definately on one of my worse anime endings EVER right next to Code Geass & Death Note's endings. They litteraterly spoiled the series for me.

Quote:
The OVA isn't dubbed, but apparently it hasn't been released before.

Never knew one existed when Encore WAM used to show anime. though i am really susprised funi never gave the ova a dub. At least Shana's OVA has a dub, but another good series that has a OVA and no dub is a disapointment. The other one is Sekai no Senkai III (Banner of the stars's OVA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
I am definitely of the thought that you shouldn't judge a series by its cover. A slipcover and even anime trailers can be completely off - based on the trailer, I would have never enjoyed shows such as Divergence Eve (and even moreso Misaki Chronicles) even though I love hard-core sci-fi titles such as this show was. Also, the musical trailer from Super GALS sparked no interest for me, but when the hullabaloo started over the licensing of season 2, I gave it a try and loved it. Sadly, all too few series get the quality type of trailer like was made for Princess Nine.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
...but if you looked like Eve and wore a funny hat, I can guarantee that I'll never notice the hat, and very little of what you would be telling me. You see it's in the genes. Wink

If Brad Pitt was starring in a nude production of Hamlet... would half the audience even notice it was Shakespeare being performed? Our argument is turning into some kind of zen koan.

snl67 wrote:
Also, the musical trailer from Super GALS sparked no interest for me, but when the hullabaloo started over the licensing of season 2, I gave it a try and loved it.

Oh ho! So are you saying that overwhelming fan opinion convinced you to watch it?

I think Daryl and I would both be persuaded to watch a show we might not otherwise consider if there was a lot of commotion about it on the internet. That was the caveat for his rule in the first place.

One or two good reviews from a trusted source will change my mind (I knew my husband would love Berserk based on an episode of the now defunct Weekly Anime Review podcast), but with enough people freaking out online over a certain show, I'm willing to give it a chance; like Firefly, or Avatar the Last Airbender. I saw one episode of Firefly on Fox and I was like "Meh" until years of browncoat ranting had me marathoning it. Normally I don't watch Nickelodeon, but when everyone was flipping out over Avatar I decided I'd better watch it.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
...but if you looked like Eve and wore a funny hat, I can guarantee that I'll never notice the hat, and very little of what you would be telling me. You see it's in the genes. Wink

If Brad Pitt was starring in a nude production of Hamlet... would half the audience even notice it was Shakespeare being performed? Our argument is turning into some kind of zen koan.

snl67 wrote:
Also, the musical trailer from Super GALS sparked no interest for me, but when the hullabaloo started over the licensing of season 2, I gave it a try and loved it.

Oh ho! So are you saying that overwhelming fan opinion convinced you to watch it?

I think Daryl and I would both be persuaded to watch a show we might not otherwise consider if there was a lot of commotion about it on the internet. That was the caveat for his rule in the first place.

One or two good reviews from a trusted source will change my mind (I knew my husband would love Berserk based on an episode of the now defunct Weekly Anime Review podcast), but with enough people freaking out online over a certain show, I'm willing to give it a chance; like Firefly, or Avatar the Last Airbender. I saw one episode of Firefly on Fox and I was like "Meh" until years of browncoat ranting had me marathoning it. Normally I don't watch Nickelodeon, but when everyone was flipping out over Avatar I decided I'd better watch it.

And this is one of the reasons I am an ANN subscriber - reviews help me gauge interest in shows I might otherwise have missed. But I tend to also Netflix/Crunchyroll/ANN/Hulu view shows too. If I had only watched the first disc of Divergence Eve, I probably would have given up on it, but the show really won me over by the end.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

If they only bought tickets because of catching a glimps of Brad Pit's dangly bits, would any really care? Laughing Trust a woman to twist support into an argument. Laughing
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
They litteraterly spoiled the series for me.

LOL! It's spelt "literally", my friend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6