• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! Theme Songs are #3 on Weekly Single Chart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Not shocking in the least.

Too bad that My Soul, Your Beats! full version is a little bit on the weak side. It's not bad, just not as good as it could have been. Pales in comparison to Toki wa Kizamu Uta.

Granted, the TV size version of the song is the best part. And the closing of the song is pretty good too.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I find the piano the catchiest part of the opening. It would be interesting to hear it as an instrumental.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I listened to the opening theme on YouTube for the first time. The song has a lot of odd time signatures just like the Clannad ~After Story~ OP. As a musician, I dig that a lot. Razz But this one seems a little harder to figure out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I do love both Angel Beats and Clannad's OP, but Tori no Uta will still be my eternal favorite...

It's nice to know that Lia's talent is reflected by her record sales.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
Well, they're certainly some of the better OP/EDs that I've heard recently. They deserve to sell well. I'll certainly be picking up the single at some point, though I have enough other CDs that I haven't bought yet that it'll probably be a while before I pick it up.

I definitely have to say that given the lack of US releases of anime-related CDs that they're by far the most expensive part of my being an anime fan. Figures are probably worse, but I don't buy those. That's one thing that the effective death of Geneon stopped which hasn't really been replaced by anyone else: the US release of anime soundtracks. And according to ANNCast, they were making money at it too...

Oh well. At least, it's good to see that these songs are selling well in Japan.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Too bad that My Soul, Your Beats! full version is a little bit on the weak side. It's not bad, just not as good as it could have been. Pales in comparison to Toki wa Kizamu Uta.

I don't know about that. I, without having seen Clannad AS, think that Toki wo Kizamu Uta pales in comparison to My Soul, Your Beats!. Her voice sounds really vivid in the latter, and the piano is great; unfortunately I couldn't feel the same about the former. But talking about favoritism....
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see My Soul, Your Beats up there. It's one of my favorite new anime songs, and both the piano scoring and playing are pure genius. Well-deserved.

Then again, this just means that a lot of otaku are buying the single CDs at once.
joecoolhascome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
I knew this song was amazing!! I just knew it!! Razz
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for MSYB to come out in it's OP2 full rock form. I like classical music, but you can't beat rock and roll.

Also Crow Song is epic.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
Still waiting for MSYB to come out in it's OP2 full rock form. I like classical music, but you can't beat rock and roll.

Also Crow Song is epic.

There's nothing classical about it. I hear j-pop with some progressive roots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Wow. I listened to the opening theme on YouTube for the first time. The song has a lot of odd time signatures just like the Clannad ~After Story~ OP. As a musician, I dig that a lot. Razz But this one seems a little harder to figure out.
Actually the song is straight 4/4 (the 1/8th note pickup note at the beginning threw me a few times). It only sounds like different meters because of the off beats and syncopations. If you listen to bass drum it's just giving a standard 1-2-3-4...
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
ZenErik wrote:
Actually the song is straight 4/4 (the 1/8th note pickup note at the beginning threw me a few times). It only sounds like different meters because of the off beats and syncopations. If you listen to bass drum it's just giving a standard 1-2-3-4...

I will have to listen again. The 2nd verse made things sound more straight although with an atypical amount of measures.

However, the Clannad ~After Story~ opening definitely uses a lot of odd time signatures. The verse is mainly a mixture of 6 and 7. The post-chorus part is 5 8 with a few 6 8 tags at the end of phrases.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
sburstall wrote:
ZenErik wrote:

I will have to listen again. The 2nd verse made things sound more straight although with an atypical amount of measures.

However, the Clannad ~After Story~ opening definitely uses a lot of odd time signatures. The verse is mainly a mixture of 6 and 7. The post-chorus part is 5 8 with a few 6 8 tags at the end of phrases.
I haven't heard anything from Clanned so I can't comment on it. I'll just have to believe you. Wink

There was only one other song that had a strange meter and it was Kaze (I think) from the first series of Naruto and it was in 5/8.

I know some other songs throw in some 2/4 at times (like the ED to FMA:Brotherhood that Scandal did). Macross:Frontier had a song in which the opener was 5/4 until it got to the body of the song, then it switched to 4/4 (let me recheck on this one...I might have meter wrong...but it wasn't common time).
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Check out "Toki o Kizamu Uta". A LEGAL link might be hard to come by; so I won't bother posting any links. Razz It's one of my favorite opening themes.
sburstall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:32 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Check out "Toki o Kizamu Uta". A LEGAL link might be hard to come by; so I won't bother posting any links. Razz It's one of my favorite opening themes.
I will. I bet I can find a few legal links somewhere. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1