• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Korean Manhwa Accused of Anti-Semitism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Common Knowledge?

So then making fun of Koreans based on the "common knowledge" used in the rather derisive stereotypes is okay, right?

Good to see that we treat people equally, so long as it serves our purposes.

Someone please excuse me while I vomit a bit upon hearing his "apology"
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Common Knowledge?

So then making fun of Koreans based on the "common knowledge" used in the rather derisive stereotypes is okay, right?

If stereotypes are "common knowledge," then it's far to say this guy probably does nothing but play World of Warcraft all day.

The bit about the wall was my favorite. "You can't be successful if you aren't Jewish, just ask all our Jewish presidents!" He's done his research for this manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mirichan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Is there a way to add the missing text to the article. Presently, it reads:

The issue of racism have also plagued Japanese manga publishers, most recently most of the racism has been directed towards Korea, although anti-semitism is not unheard of in Japanese manga. In (...)
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Just....just wow. It's hard to believe that anyone can be so ignorant in this day and age, let alone being able to find someone to publish your bull$#!+.

Anti-Semitism is one of the most mind-blowing concepts to me -- Jesus himself was Jewish, so how could any Christian ever hate Jews? -- but it seems even stranger coming from Korea. I mean, are there any Jewish people in Korea? At all?

If there is some vast Jewish media-controlling conspiracy, maybe I should ask my Jewish girlfriend if she can get a 24-hour anime channel on my digital cable service. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
Is there a way to add the missing text to the article. Presently, it reads:

Fixed.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Anti-Semitism is one of the most mind-blowing concepts to me -- Jesus himself was Jewish, so how could any Christian ever hate Jews? --

Racist Christians would tell you that the Jews are those that refused to accept Jesus as their lord and saviour, and that their numbers include those that turned him over to the Romans and demanded his death.

Quote:
but it seems even stranger coming from Korea. I mean, are there any Jewish people in Korea? At all?

The author did her "research" by living in America for a year or two. The comic essentially claims that Koreans are unable to rise to the top in America because their way is blocked by Jews.

There have been African Americans who have claimed the same thing.

Quote:
If there is some vast Jewish media-controlling conspiracy, maybe I should ask my Jewish girlfriend if she can get a 24-hour anime channel on my digital cable service.

Lol.

It should be pointed out that almost every stereotype is based on some sort of truth, even though the stereotypes are usually wildly distorted from the truth from which they originate.

Given the the percentage of North American population that is Jewish, and the percentage of the large media companies that are owned, chaired or founded by Jewish Americans, it's evident that Jewish Americans do control a disproportionate portion of the media.

But there's plenty of non-Jewish controlled media, which would have no reason to toe the line of any Jewish conspiracy. Yet the "non-Jewish media" report similar news, and similar opinions as the "Jewish media," so there's no logic behind the sentiment that the media is some sort of mouthpiece for a Jewish agenda. (Unless you were to somehow argue that non-Jewish media is in fact secretly controlled by Jews...)

The whole Jewish-911 conspiracy is also rather ironic and stupid. It's true that, in a world that is gradually supporting Israel less and less, America remains Israels biggest supporter. And this doesn't make some Arab extremists very happy, but it's only one of several issues that the extremists have with America. While Al Qaeda does call for the destruction of Israel, it also calls for the removal of foreign troops from all Arab lands. When discussing the evils of America, Bin Laden referred more often to America's influence on Arab governments and the presence of American troops, than America's support for Israel. (Ironically, his actions have brought many, many more foreign troops to Arab lands. I wonder if, assuming he's still alive, he thinks it was worth it?)

My point being, that there is, if you dig deep enough, a bit of truth to the statement that Jews caused 9-11. But to blame Jews, or to equate majority cause to them, is absolutely ridiculous.

Likewise, it's true that there is a lot of Jewish presence in those that control the media, but to believe that Rupert Murdoch would side with Edgar Bronfman just because they're both Jewish is rather ridiculous.

-t
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

And the lady somehow managed to overlook the fact that during the LA Riots, African Americans actually vandalized and looted Korean Stores. Whoops.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there's a dog on the other side of the Jew wall....

Was that comment out of line? I found it rather funny, but please remove it if it's too offensive >_>

Well, at least the author isn't claiming the holocaust was a hoax like several middle eastern governments do.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And the lady somehow managed to overlook the fact that during the LA Riots, African Americans actually vandalized and looted Korean Stores. Whoops.

I saw something on CNN yesterday that talked about race relations between asians and blacks in San Francisco. Apparently they're not so good. Race in America is too goddamn complicated.

Quote:
When discussing the evils of America, Bin Laden referred more often to America's influence on Arab governments and the presence of American troops, than America's support for Israel. (Ironically, his actions have brought many, many more foreign troops to Arab lands. I wonder if, assuming he's still alive, he thinks it was worth it?)

Who wouldn't like to know that mans thoughts? If you could talk to one person, dead or alive, who would it be? It's ashame the west won't be able to ask him anything though, since he has said if he does die,he's going out in a blaze of glory.
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Anti-Semitism is one of the most mind-blowing concepts to me -- Jesus himself was Jewish, so how could any Christian ever hate Jews? -- but it seems even stranger coming from Korea. I mean, are there any Jewish people in Korea? At all?

Simple, by blaming the Jews for killing Jesus. Seriously, Christians have been using that as an excuse for two thousand years. Notwithstanding that crucifixion is a purely Roman punishment.

As for why Koreans would care? Well, it's kinda hard not to take a stance when the the problems of the middle east figures so prominently and constantly in international news.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This is just so incredibly ironic, I couldn't help but laugh a little.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Gauss wrote:
Simple, by blaming the Jews for killing Jesus. Seriously, Christians have been using that as an excuse for two thousand years. Notwithstanding that crucifixion is a purely Roman punishment.
Not all Christians do that, but there are some seriously warped viewpoints on the subject. Personally, I lay the blame solely on the Romans. Of course, I lay that blame on the Romans who did it way back two thousand years ago. It would be kind of stupid to hate the people who live in Rome now. (Especially considering that they stopped being "Romans" a while back. Wink )

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
IIRC, the reasons for that were something along the lines of the Koreans were banding together to get enough money to start and maintain the stores, they were working hard together to do it, and for some strange reason certain members of the African American community in LA didn't think they could do the same thing. That whole mess always struck me as incredibly stupid. All it accomplished was driving out a lot of Korean-run stores and leaving in there place stores that weren't run as well.

Not saying that African Americans can't run stores, but the fact is the people in those areas didn't want to work together and share money, which is what the Koreans were doing in order to succeed. (At least, this is my understanding of what was going on. It's been a long time since I read anything about that mess. Correct me if I'm misremebering.)
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally the asian community here in TX gets along very well with blacks and hispanics and other places I've visited, the asian community gets along well with all races, especially in the northeastern regions. Is it just a San Francisco thing?

This author sounds like another stupid Mel Gibson.

The author certainly sounds more extremely stupidly ignorant than KKK racist level, but from Japan and other asian countries, I have noticed this same level of ignorance which I tend to see reflect in some anime I watch. It's rather sad but it seems asian countries (from what I've heard) don't really spend a lot of time on teachings about other cultures or world history and that may be a reason.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
tempest wrote:

Also that the majority of stores that were set on fire were owned by African-Americans.

/irony
mokitty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Tempest has got it right. I'm largely neutral when it comes to race issues; I have no problems with anyone I've met that I would say have anything to do with their race or heritage. And people can go ahead and hate each other if they want. What ticks me off is the apparently re-growing trend in the world today (particularly on the internet, it seems) to summarily discriminate against Jews (and Muslims, and Americans, et. al.) on arguements that have no basis.

"Because they controlled the media" or "Because they killed Jesus" are generally not valid arguements because the people who utter them tend to put no thought whatsoever into backing them up.

Tempest already handled the media one, but the reason Jesus was crucified was because he was a threat to the status quo, plain and simple. People then, as now, were interested in the exotic -- which is why the Jews were popular. But they were only allowed to practice their faith in the Empire because the leaders felt not very many people would want to circumsize themselves or restrict their diets. That meant that though intrigued, the majority would continue worshipping -- and paying dues and other tributes -- at the state-run polytheistic temples. If this new, less restictive Judaism of Christ took hold, the state would lose revenues and the Jews risked losing the state's good graces to practice their religion. Not to mention the extremely scary thought of a prophet that was not preaching for the good of the state. The Romans controlled the people through religion and divine right the same way the papacy and European kings did through the Renaissance and onward. Jesus posed the same threat to them that the likes of Calvin and Martin Luther posed to the Catholic status quo.

Even more ludicrous are the people who claim to hate Jews because they're "rich and powerful." Yes, I have heard that exact wording before. Isn't claiming that as a valid assertion a lot like agreeing with the Taliban about America?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4