• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse's Manga Sales Up 13%, Vertical Also Up 18%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
While loosers blame scanlations for their sales decrease, companies who actually care about their manga (quality paper, quality translation etc.) increase their sales. Good job!

The trick is, release manga that doesn't have many scanlations in the first place. Laughing
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
Sadly, that didn't work for CMX Sad
loka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
I wish Dark Horse would license Elfen Lied already.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
Ahh, news that manga is doing well and selling books is good news! Very Happy It also adds some weight to my theory that the goons at DC who decided to cancel CMX are Baka, baka, baka!!! Grrr!

I read the interview with Ed Chavez yesterday, and the news about Black Jack put some warmth in my heart. I've been buying each volume as they come out, and I've found (by lending it out to everyone I can think of) that it's a tween-frendly, adult pleasing timeless title that non-manga fans enjoy. It amazes me how much of the science fiction in the stories are medical realities today (limb transplants, for example. Was Tezuka psychic?)!

I even got my dad to read some BJ, and he hates sci-fi, fantasy and fantastical stories in general. But he likes Black Jack! Smile

I'm really glad to hear the news about Dark Horse, too. I love (and collect) Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, and have enjoyed some of their other manga as well (like Translucent. Which dissapeared from their catalog, and needs to come back!). I just started reading Eden, and am blown away by it's fast paced action, plot, and well-developed esemble cast. I didn't even realize DH put it on hiatus. When did that happen?

Both these publishers show how to make a profit by releasing quality titles, getting them into bookstores and on online booksellers, connecting with customers (I met up with Ed Chavez at two different events this spring)! I wish them lots of luck and profits in the future!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Tokyopop continues to survive as a company for Ihavenofreakingcluehow but I guess some people will pay for anything with the words "Warcraft" on it.

Tokyopop still has a few good shoujo titles that I would be surprised to see no doing well. Maid-sama for example, I'm sure is about to get a huge boost in sales now that the anime counterpart is out, and then they still have titles like Gakuen Alice. As long as Tokyopop keeps managing to grab some of the most popular shoujo in Japan, they'll find buyers here. Don't forget they're about to release Hetalia which comes with a giant horde of fangirls, along with the Alice in Wonderland fangirls who have been buying Alice in the Land of Hearts. They're going for things they know are doing well with girls in Japan, and things that have a cult status here.

Then there's the whole "Warriors" oel, which is much like what Yen Press has done with Maximum Ride and Twilight. Warriors is a best selling YA series, and every once in a while I get a kid I've never seen buy manga, asking for the comic in my store.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just started reading Eden, and am blown away by it's fast paced action, plot, and well-developed esemble cast. I didn't even realize DH put it on hiatus. When did that happen?

Volume 12 was released last summer IIRC. Volume 13 hasn't been announced yet and Dark Horse has said the series isn't very popular on multiple occasions.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent: I think DC gettin' out was the smartest move, actually. They weren't doing anything except adding to the glut, and companies like Yen and Tokyopop can promote their titles better than CMX ever could. As for the limb transplants, I think those were actually abnormal back then. There's other stuff he wrote which might seem more visionary nowadays. For example, pick up Phoenix 9.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Since every library I've been in that has a manga collection has a HUGE stash of Verticle-published Osamu Tezuka, I had to believe they were doing well. They may not do mass-market stuff like Naruto, but there is a definite audience for classic works.

Well getting books into libraries sure does help the bottom line. However that does not guarantee success. There is a common sentiment in publishing about books that are only found in libraries...people don't want to buy them but they have cultural value. Thankfully at least in the case of Black Jack, Buddha and Twin Spica those books are generally carried by major book store chains (though not shelved in every store).

Quote:
Oh, and may I add, both of these companies seem to be the ones that go after people for posting works they license online more than anyone else. Maybe it isn't the huge waste of time as the leeches (and some true fans) often claim.

Interesting point there, VFF. It is really hard to get concrete facts about the correlation between scan proliferation and the defense against scans in regard to financial success. However, at least from a public relations perspective I don't want to devalue my content by allowing others who don't have the rights to exploit my authors' work. Manga is never free. And unless the mangaka we work with agree to distribute their content in that manner we will defend their works as it is our duty as their business partners.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
BrightxRingxFirefly wrote:
I'm glad to hear that these two are doing well in such a tough climate, especially with titles that aren't exactly trendy.

Oh I don't know, I think we both are releasing "trendy" titles...

Dark Horse has published Berserk, Gantz, CLOVER, Cardcaptor Sakura, Evangelion...Those are established names in fandom.

We are just starting off with our "trendy" line but Dororo, Twin Spica, Guin Saga, Chi's Sweet Home and Peepo Choo should all find a way into reader's book shelves.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Hmm, maybe if these CLAMP rereleases do well enough, we'll see Dark Horse venture more into the shoujo market. I can't recall many titles of theirs being shoujo oriented. Usually they go for "traditional" comic themes.

I'd be curious also especially since I know the CLAMP releases are doing more than well enough Surprised CLOVER in particular is a huge huge success.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Good for Black Jack. I guess the CR upload of the anime's been good for it after all. Time for the CPM OVAs to be license-rescued now, too. Wink

Can I ask why you believe this to be the case? We personally do not get any significant traffic from CR. And I have not seen much of a shift in sales based on when CR began to host the BJ anime.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I just started reading Eden, and am blown away by it's fast paced action, plot, and well-developed esemble cast. I didn't even realize DH put it on hiatus. When did that happen?

It's not on hiatus per-se, so much as that Dark Horse has continually cut back its release schedule from quarterly, to biannually, to annually, to whenever we feel like it.

This is most likely due to the struggle between the fact that nobody buys it and the fact that Dark Horse recognizes that it has a true gem that needs greater exposure.

There is no excuse for it to sell so poorly. It should appeal to the same audiences that read Berserk, Gantz, MPD Psycho, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and their other titles. Before Tim Maughan mentioned it in the last podcast, though, I never hear anybody talk about it ever. Except me.

Eden is from the same guy who wrote Tanpenshu, BTW, which has a much higher ranking in ANN's manga listings. If you liked Tanpenshu, chances are you'll like Eden. And Eden's scanlations do not complete: Dark Horse is really the only game in town here for people who don't know Japanese.

In closing, buy Eden.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Vertical:
Quote:
Can I ask why you believe this to be the case? We personally do not get any significant traffic from CR.

Yeah, but you must be getting books purchased from some of those viewers, at least. Plus, the anime's been good for exposure of and awareness to the franchise as a whole.

Quote:
And I have not seen much of a shift in sales based on when CR began to host the BJ anime.

Well, your company said sales started going up around last year, right? And that's aboout when the anime was uploaded to CR, too.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, your company said sales started going up around last year, right? And that's aboout when the anime was uploaded to CR, too.

Actually the sales numbers started to go up before those episodes were up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Vertical: Yeah, but the article notes a recent boost, too, so those eps must've somewhat contributed to sales. [I hope.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4