• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to Rebrand TheCW4Kids Block on Saturdays

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Toonzai? Seriously, what heck? Sounds like Toonami if you ask me.

Also, its not Dragon Ball Z Zai, it's Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Though this really won't change my option of 4kids though.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Pretty sure the Z is for Toonz...
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Toonzai? Cartoon and Banzai? (Like how Toonami was short for Cartoon and Tsunami?) Hmm, to me it just doesnt sound right, unlike Toonami, which had a nice ring to it.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Same thought on the Toonami/Toonzai thing. I loved Toonami when growing up. Hope this does well. Also, hope they bring back the space ship and the captain robot which announced everything on the block. He was awesome.

Hey, just found something cool out. The voice actor the Toonami robot captain TOM the first version was voiced by the same guy that voices Maes Hughes on FMA and he does Apachai in Keinichi. Wow, I never know that.
You can find the info Here

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Funny how 4Kids has gone from being proud of hiding a show's Japanese origins from kids, to actually playing them up as part of their advertising strategy.
Megaman42xX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Same thought on the Toonami/Toonzai thing. I loved Toonami when growing up. Hope this does well. Also, hope they bring back the space ship and the captain robot which announced everything on the block. He was awesome.

Sorry but this is the same channel as wb, not Cartoon Network a.k.a. CN. I doubt Tom will be back.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
well i don't mind if they dub anime again as long as they don't go butchering them with heavy edits.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Hey, just found something cool out. The voice actor the Toonami robot captain TOM the first version was voiced by the same guy that voices Maes Hughes on FMA and he does Apachai in Keinichi. Wow, I never know that.

Wasn't Steven Blum the voice of TOM?

Nice try 4kids. Well, at least it might get some of the Toonami crowd watching just because of the similar name. But, being on of the Toonami "generation" I can tell you I can't be arsed to get up before noon on Saturdays Wink Maybe younger siblings of the Toonami crowd who haven't been watching will check it out because of all the good things their older siblings said about Toonami.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hmm DBZ Kai, sounds like a good series recording to add to the PVR, that might make up for the Naruto and Bleach re-runs I was using for background anime.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Wasn't Steven Blum the voice of TOM?

Nice try 4kids. Well, at least it might get some of the Toonami crowd watching just because of the similar name. But, being on of the Toonami "generation" I can tell you I can't be arsed to get up before noon on Saturdays Wink Maybe younger siblings of the Toonami crowd who haven't been watching will check it out because of all the good things their older siblings said about Toonami.

He was the voice of second TOM. TOM 2 So are partly right.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Kids Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Alfred Kahn said in March that "4Kids needs to return to its roots as a licensing and merchandising company [that] specializes in bringing wonderful Japanese programming and merchandising to the rest of the world."

That's almost laughable with all the crappy edits they make Laughing
But if it's an attempt to get more anime exposed on TV, I'm all up for it.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Toonzai = Toonami Pun?

Either way, it wont change me watching stuff on it.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Excelent name *starts slow clap* Rolling Eyes
Ranma87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Funny how 4Kids has gone from being proud of hiding a show's Japanese origins from kids, to actually playing them up as part of their advertising strategy.
Hah, hah that is so true, they often go out of their way in dubs to hide their Japanese origin.

The "Japanese themed" state fair in Magical Doremi comes to mind.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Not quite. If I can recall and I was a regular toonami watcher , TOM was actually voiced by Stephen Jay Blum who did Spike on Cowboy Bepop and Roger Smith on Big O and Big O II (Which are still showing on Adult Swim after all this time. )

Either way, a lot of people is gonna see this ploy hook , line and sinker. Not to mentioned really really desperate. Renaming it to a block that looks, and sounds like toonami is still not gonna change my mind that 4kids are a bad co and has to have major changes cause CN's toonami was ten times better than 4kids.

BunnyCupCakes wrote:
Quote:
Kids Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Alfred Kahn said in March that "4Kids needs to return to its roots as a licensing and merchandising company [that] specializes in bringing wonderful Japanese programming and merchandising to the rest of the world."

That's almost laughable with all the crappy edits they make Laughing
But if it's an attempt to get more anime exposed on TV, I'm all up for it.

No kidding bunny cup cakes. Their hideous edits (2nd place is nelvana) is not welcome. However i do agree that it's good they'll expose more anime on TV which is badly needed, [b]but for everyone sakes,[b] especially anime fans, the only anime 4kids has to expose is kids based series like pokemon or even Bakguan. Even that new anime created by Stan Lee is a decent fit for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3