• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, May 23-29

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I like Viz as well, but it's nice to see them NOT having 8 or 9 of the top 10 spots. Oh well, nothing I own from them seems to reach the top 10 anyway. Not even 20th Century Boys seems to make it on there...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
But man, Negima surprised me. My Borders actually sold out the week it came out. Never happened to me before so close to the release date. Maybe if I took too long like a few weeks but not within the first week.

I went up to Borders yesterday to buy it (and Hellsing #10 and Tsubasa #26), and there was only one copy left. I'm glad I went there when I did. Good to see Negima doing so well. It's usually in the top 10, but I don't think it's ever hit #1 before.

Shay Guy wrote:
26...That's Nagi and Arika on the cover? *checks Wikipedia* Okay, end of Rakan's flashback, Asuna turning out to have been captured, beginning of Negi vs. Rakan (woo!), and...oh, boy. The Chichigami.

Yup. 'Tis a good volume, but then again aren't they all good?

As for DitVB, I'm surprised to see it in the top 10. I guess a combination of the release of offical streams from Funimation of the anime, all the press both the manga and anime have been getting this year, and its removal from scan sites like OneManga probably contributed to the uptick in sales. If you can overlook the controversial elements (squick or fetish fuel? YMMV), it's a pretty solid title, especially if you like vampire stuff.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
Peroxid wrote:
Quote:
Young C. Kim's graphic novel adaptation of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight vampire novel stays at #1 in its 11th week on the separate Hardcover Graphic Books list.

*head desk*

You obviously didn't clue in that all of that money is going to a manga publisher.

I don't like Twilight either, but I'm ecstatic to see how well it's doing. I've invested in a lot of Yen series now, so it's nice to know that they won't be going defunct anytime soon (unlike Tokyopop or Del Rey, which could go poof at any time).

Took the words right out of my mouth, comrade.

*crosses fingers* Please don't disappear, TP, Del Rey. Whatever your flaws, you guys have and are still brining out series that I love. I'd be crushed if the North American manga industry took another blow like that. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2