• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Re: Funimation~where's the rabid fan speculation on this? I'm wonderng what they can afford to license and what type of job they're planning to do with it. Independent comics? Children's novels of mediocre popularity (ie, NOT Harry Potter)? Maybe midline fantasy or sci-fi novels? OEL manga with a fanbase (Svetlana Chmakova's Nightschool might make a decent anime)? Hmmm...

I'm secretly hoping that they adapt Svet's DramaCon, it's already a short story so they would have a bit less to lose. But I guess the lack of speculation comes form the fact that none of us have any idea what to speculate on. There aren't a lot of well known OELs and Tokyopop seems to already be adapting some of those.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I can't pass by a forum on OO P manga without mentioning my personal quest: Osamu Tezuka's. Adolf vol. 1. I have volumes 2-5, all priced resonably, but I have yet to see vol. 1 available for under $80. I'm just waiting for Viz to take a page out of Vertical's book and release an Adolf Omnibus. Is that too much to ask?

I feel very lucky that I scored Planetes vol. 1 at Bookdiscounts.com back when they were getting rid of all their manga in a 99 cents sale, but now that I've got a taste of the series, I'm kicking myself for not buying it earlier--back when the seller had more volumes available for about $5 each. I still wouldn't have a complete set, but it'd be better than my one lonely volume.

I have both of those. I'd prefer to keep them, but now I'll have the thought in the back of my head that I could sell Volume 1 and recoup my expenditure for the entire series (for Adolf at least) Razz.

Edit: Actually, checked Amazon, and it looks like Planetes v1 is available fairly cheaply.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Cost me about $110, I think, to get all of Planetes in very good to like new condition about a month ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This week's response by torinostu351 made me realise a benefit of not knowing any anime fans in real life: I don't feel pressured to like or not like, watch or not watch, any particular genre or show due to friendship influence. Consequently my list of favourites is rather eclectic (and so is my list of dislikes!), much richer and more interesting than it might otherwise be.

vashfanatic wrote:
Out of print books are a giant pain. Does anyone know a good site online to look for used books other than Amazon?

Try this: http://www.addall.com/

I don't think Brian should have said "rape". It's one of those stupid expressions young fanboys use because they think it makes them sound badass. I thought he was smarter than that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

I don't think Brian should have said "rape". It's one of those stupid expressions young fanboys use because they think it makes them sound badass. I thought he was smarter than that.

You know, there is really nothing worse than the joke police.

It's just a joke. Get over it. Unclench. You'll be a happier person for it.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
I guess I'll never be as cool as you guys.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

You know, there is really nothing worse than the joke police.

It's just a joke. Get over it. Unclench. You'll be a happier person for it.
Worse than the thought police? Well I never!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
As a woman, I will say that I wasn't offended by Brian's use of the word "rape." I understood the context in which it was being used; in no way did I find this context offensive to women.

eyeresist wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Barachem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Quote:
Now, should you bend over and begrudgingly accept the wallet rape of opportunistic second-hand book dealers?

Oh Brian, did you really make a rape joke? Please read up on the issues surrounding this topic. Here's a starter link: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/feminism-friday-more-on-how-rape-jokes-just-arent-funny/

Oh no, not this femo-fascist crap here too.
Just say you find them atrocious and others may find them atrocious too.

On another note, i think you'll hate Detroit Metal City then.
In the end it's you who decide if you feel offended by something.
In this case it wasn't meant badly, but you still feel offended.
Maybe you should examine what makes you respond like that.

Edit: About good things the anime studios do today...

Well, i'm enjoying Angel Beats! as an original anime-first project.
But other than that i think most new anime is mediocre, moe-crud or ecchi-stupidity.
At least one learns to appreciate past gems through the mediocrity of current anime.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't know that Planetes was that hard to find. I guess I lucked up then.

I have been burned by a few other OOP things--Tenchi OAV vol.4, Excel Saga vol. 7-8, etc. Though I did find Saikano 7 and Eva 8-11 on BookFinder today *crosses fingers*.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Being someone who is familiar with the American comic book back-issue market, this is really not all that surprising. It goes back to the basic law of supply and demand, like it or not. Although right now, it's quite a difficult task to gauge the market prices on OOP manga volumes and I don't think Overstreet et al is anxious to devote resources to such a project, primarily because the majority of manga out there is available at or just slightly above retail price.

But on the whole, that volume of Excel Saga you're missing from your collection is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. Whoever has a copy to sell can sell it for whatever he/she wants and not obligated to sell it to you for retail. The good news, however, is that said seller may be willing to negotiate if it doesn't move for several months or more.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
As a woman, I will say that I wasn't offended by Brian's use of the word "rape." I understood the context in which it was being used; in no way did I find this context offensive to women.
eyeresist wrote:

Just to clarify, I wasn't objecting to use of the word "rape" on PC grounds. Murder is just as bad as rape (more so?), but I have no problem with people saying "the project was killed" or "I could murder a beer right now" (an Australian expression). What I object to is nerds mindlessly using the word as a sort of "I'm cool" sign. I'd probably have been just as annoyed if Brian had done an "over 9000" joke.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Except he didn't really make a 'rape joke' at all. Or at least not a joke about a person being raped. If he did...well maybe that might be considered tasteless. However, just the word 'rape' does not necessarily refer to the rape of a person. Rape is also defined as simply "the violent, destructive, or abusive treatment of something". What Brian said was not offensive. It was English. Perhaps you ought to read up a little on the latter before you get on a soap box about the former.

Thank you for being un-necessarily hostile in your reply, but it just means I get to be a jerk back on an already touchy subject. Being an English major, I think I've read up plenty, and it's also why I find the word pretty darn offensive because, hey, sometimes you need to look at the social context of a word rather than the simple definition.

Oh sure, there wasn't a reference to a person, and that's the problem if you read anything up on the subject. The following pretty much addresses all the other people who replied on the subject without really having to quote every one of you. It's not about being too sensitive in our society but about examining the choice of words we use, the triggers they can inflict in some people, and the type of society we live in. "Death" is pretty natural; rape is not. Rape is talked about casually in American society, and guess what, most times victims aren't taken seriously. So, yeah, when we use the word in a funny context, as if it's not a serious issue, then we're just saying we still don't find it a big deal.

I'll probably open a whole bag of worms now, but it's about thinking about how our words affect other people. I'm sure a lot of you think it's oversensitive of people with disabilities to think our casual use of the word "lame" to denote something that sucks is annoying, just like how the GBLT group is being oversensitive when we say gay in a negative light. They should just deal; they know that's not what we mean, right?

So, this is getting off topic, but it's not a simple issue, and I'd be glad if it wasn't treated as one. I think the problem is everyone looks at it as a censorship issue, and those of us who haven't been raped or aren't gay or disabled really hate it when those oppressed groups take away our "perfectly good" words that we use to oppress them with. It's about thinking how our language intersects with our social hierarchies, and maybe we need to find new words to describe what we mean. Yeah, it's hard when "gay" just seems to perfectly describe what we want to say. Hey, there's a thesaurus online; pretty easy to find.

Quote:
In this case it wasn't meant badly, but you still feel offended.
Maybe you should examine what makes you respond like that.

Besides above, I get pretty hostile about rape because 1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted, and while most people look at that at just a number because assaulted women and men just don't come out and say anything, that includes me and about a dozen friends.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to the whole "rape" comment, I only have this to add:

Perhaps it could've been phrased a little better, but I do understand the frustration Brian's trying to convey with that comment. As someone who has collected music and DVDs over the years, I understand the sentiment. Some of the insane prices being asked for some items can be really frustrating and almost feel like the seller is trying to, well, you know... what Brian said. I think it's understanding that context that makes it less offensive to me personally.

However, I wouldn't never go so far as to say that no one should be offended by it, because I'm not in the business of telling anyone what they should think. All I'm saying is that I'm personally not offended.

And that's all I have to say on that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Thank you for being un-necessarily hostile in your reply, but it just means I get to be a jerk back on an already touchy subject.

Yeah well, you could have come in and simply said in a polite manner that you found the joke offensive, but no. You had to be as insufferably smug and obnoxious about it as possible. So yeah. Don't expect a polite response.

Quote:
Oh sure, there wasn't a reference to a person, and that's the problem if you read anything up on the subject. The following pretty much addresses all the other people who replied on the subject without really having to quote every one of you. It's not about being too sensitive in our society but about examining the choice of words we use, the triggers they can inflict in some people, and the type of society we live in. "Death" is pretty natural; rape is not.

Why? Because people use 'death' or 'kill' a lot? How is that fair? Plenty of people used to use or often still use 'fag' and 'homo' too? Does that make it acceptable? I fail to see any reason why one of the many people who have had a loved one killed or even murdered wouldn't be in the same situation you're describing here for rape. Yet you apparently think it would be fine for Brian to say the prices 'killed his wallet'. That's tremendously hypocritical.

Quote:
Rape is talked about casually in American society, and guess what, most times victims aren't taken seriously. So, yeah, when we use the word in a funny context, as if it's not a serious issue, then we're just saying we still don't find it a big deal.

No, you know what makes people not take rape seriously? This bullshit right here. When someone like you comes in here and has a huge fit because somebody *gasp* used the word rape in a perfectly legitimate and correct way. You come up with this whole huge explanation of how this is somehow indirectly a huge bloody deal. You just come off as a nut. Nobody takes you seriously and if anything it just detracts from the legitimate idea that actual rape of a person is an extremely serious matter.

Quote:
just like how the GBLT group is being oversensitive when we say gay in a negative light.

Oh I see. Using 'gay' as a term for bad is offensive to homosexuals because it equates 'gay' with 'bad'. So we had better not use the word 'rape' as a negative term. That might go and associate rape with something bad and we wouldn't want that. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6