• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece Season 2 DVD Part 7

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nicely put Carl. One Piece is a gem in every sense of the word, but like everything that gleams, that also means that once it gets dusty it's that more noticeable.
Hopefully (and we already know what's to come), the staff re-polish frequently enough to ease worries!

Nice bit about the comparison to Pirates. And that alone could've summed up any filler arc in One Piece!

But... you hate the dubbed songs? Hmm... I'm guessing you're just one of those people that don't care for that sort of thing... It probably has nothing to do with the talented VA's that actually sing them.

Overall, an excellent review on something that you already knew would mildly disappoint.
But, I hope the next thing you review is DBZ: Kai! After watching the first few eps on Nick, I'd like to see what ANN has to say about it!
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Just remember: One Piece filler is still better than filler in most any other anime. I'm looking at you, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, Dragon Ball, Kenshin...hell, the entire Shonen Jump catalog...
merr

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Aw, it's always sad to see hate for dub songs. I love them personally, but I can understand why they're not everyone's cup of tea. Still, as long as the Japanese songs are on there, it shouldn't bother anyone too much.

It's better to give people options after all.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Aw, it's always sad to see hate for dub songs. I love them personally, but I can understand why they're not everyone's cup of tea. Still, as long as the Japanese songs are on there, it shouldn't bother anyone too much.

Same here. I also liked the dub songs as well though i definately prefer the original. My favs are #1 OP and parts of the Skypeia OP (eps 130 to 160 I think.) by Vic and the Vivi ED sung by her's VA Catalin Glass.

It's preety something that Funi was able to get VA that can sing preety well.

Quote:
The next set, which thanks to Funimation's achronological dubbing schedule contains their earliest work on the series, is a more interesting prospect (review-wise). The contrast between the two should be instructive.

well the early TV (Toonami Broadcast) edit release of the Skypeia arc and Movie 8's release were all planned to give dub fans how One Piece should be dubbed and not like that horror that 4kids (When in the holy high hell are they going to go belly under,HUH?) did.

Though I am still pissed that CN never made the effort to get the rest instead of doing all of this live action crap. Not to mention licensing toy based kids series. (even though i enjoy them)

Something must be seriously wrong with the heads of the higher ups of CN and it's sister site AS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I think Slayers has always had the best filler of any anime, probably because the plot was rather minimal from the beginning. Also, I found this set's filler a little better than the Lapis arc.....which had a decent story...but crappy pacing.

As for the dub songs...I think Funi's getting better at them all the time. I especially like their rendition of Bon Voyage. It almost always brings a tear to my eye hearing it coupled with the visual montage of all the hardships the main characters have had in their pasts.
Brakus

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:

I'm actually of the opinion that the OP and ED songs of anime should ALWAYS be in Japanese, unless there's some legitimate excuse for them to dub it into English (e.g., the dub of Nerima Daikon Brothers, where the whole show is a musical). It all has nothing to do with hate for certain singers; I've always found that very, very few English-dubbed versions of the themes have matched up well with their original Japanese counterparts. The only real things from FUNi that I liked dubbed into English were the OP/ED of Fruits Basket and "Makafushigi Adventure!" from Dragon Ball; everything else just misses the mark in one way or the other.

IMO FUNi should have left the OP/ED songs for One Piece in Japanese; any narration at the top of the song can be translated into English, though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
FUNimation did leave the OPs/EDs in Japanese, so long as you're watching it with Japanese audio.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Having a separate track with the OP/EDs is not leaving the OP/EDs in Japanese.
merr

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Having a separate track with the OP/EDs is not leaving the OP/EDs in Japanese.

Yes it is. It's actually better, since it satisfies people who like to hear the songs in English as well as those who like them in Japanese. You're argument is the equivalent of saying "I don't like listening to anime in Japanese, so I think they should ONLY put dubs on the disc." It's better to give people options.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Just remember: One Piece filler is still better than filler in most any other anime. I'm looking at you, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, Dragon Ball, Kenshin...hell, the entire Shonen Jump catalog...

I couldn't agree more. One Piece is about pirates going on a long journey, so it makes sense for them to take a few side trips or show some scenes aboard the ship. Yes, they're still filler, but they kinda ease them in in nice, small doses.
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
My God..
"So how do you follow up one of the grandest, most rousing climaxes in shonen action history?"
One Piece? Does it even have a place in shonen action history for it to have one of the most "rousing climaxes" !?!? One Piece and Bleach reviews are extremely one dimensional, they're always heavilly praised by whoever reviews them. But this time seriously.. One Piece has not invented Sh!t nor has it layed down a foundation, I'm amazed at how the reviewer so casually exclaims that it has one of the most grandest and most rousing climaxes in anime history. I'd say this exclamation is one of the most biased and fanboyish ones in anime reviews history.. I'm just gonna join the many who quit reading ANN reviews cause of their sheer biasness, irrational statements and obvious preference of certain shows.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Smile

How many episodes have you watched Brice?
merr

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
*snip*

Wow, just because a reviewer doesn't share your personal hatred for all things One Piece (sinde half your posts are about how DBZ is SOOOOOO much better and more original than OP or Bleach), it doesn't mean he's being biased and irrational.

You act like the reviewers here have some personal stake in promoting One Piece, which is completely absurd.

Maybe if you actually argued a real point, instead of just accusing the reviewers of being "wrong", people would take you more seriously. Right now though, you sound more like a butthurt fanboy than anything else.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't feed the trolls, they're like seagulls, it just encourages them, and all you get for it is a load of crap. ^___^
sogeking17

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
One Piece? Does it even have a place in shonen action history for it to have one of the most "rousing climaxes" !?!?

Umm.. One Piece not having a place in shonen (no need to really put action since thats implied with shonen) history? You do know its the bestselling manga of all time and the anime has been continously popular. And why wouldnt it be even the filler are decent not great but watchable unlike most jump anime. Most jump anime that have more of a comedy aspect usually have decent filler because your laughing and dont mind the filler
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2