• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gilles Poitras

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:

But most of the material out there that includes the sex trade are seinen titles. Ikebukuro West Gate Park, for example. Or Great Teacher Onizuka.

What? GTO is not seinen, is shônen manga. It was publised in Kodansha's "Weekly Shonen Magazine".

That is a big mistake, and it makes his theory fall, I think.

manga#1557
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
I stand corrected on GTO, thanks.

Interesting I'll have to pay more attention to Weekly Shonen Magazine.

Also note that if the proposed law on restricting sexually suggestive material in publications gets passed in Tokyo then GTO could be made 18 and over only there.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
I stand corrected on GTO, thanks.

Interesting I'll have to pay more attention to Weekly Shonen Magazine.

Also note that if the proposed law on restricting sexually suggestive material in publications gets passed in Tokyo then GTO could be made 18 and over only there.

Oh, no! Thank you for overseeing my troll behaviour... Now I can see that you, sir, are not the usual scholar. You can take corrections from a perfect unknown like myself. Thanks.

In a second reading of your profile, we're colleages, Mr. Poitras! I'm a librarian too! It's weird I didn't saw it earlier!
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
Now I can see that you, sir, are not the usual scholar. You can take corrections from a perfect unknown like myself.

Any scholar worth their salt will take corrections from anyone. After all errors do happen, especially in an area as vast as anime and manga.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I remember another very weird example.
Teizokurei Daydream, an excellent manga that includes: nudity, violation, lesbian scenes, fellatio, S&M and a lot of gore suicides scenes. Published in Kadokawa's Monthly Shônen Ace.

manga#5408
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Some magazines with the word shonen in the title aim at the high end of that age demographic and may actually have become seinen magazines.

I'll leave it to those who actually read them to comment further on this.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Thanks for the correction,

It's a pleasure.

Gilles Poitras wrote:
So many good bookshops in my last trip I start getting confused. Tokyo is a wonderland of bookstores.

I suppose you visited Jinbōchō, too. Sanseidō had your book.
Edo/Tokyo was a wonderland of bookstores already in the Edo period.
Terakado Seiken wrote:
    書舗
昭代右文之數、書肆日盛著作歳新。穪老舗者五十爲額子肆孫店算百算千。且有畫草紙舗者。亦五十爲額、中分新古各〻居其半。合穪三部。又讀本肆十六、借本戶八百、此其大略至其子其孫不易算數云。          
正面唐本、両壁雜本、整齊位置、積々疊々。先生某等所著書目招帖、翩々風翻。肆頭安置一箇糊造招子。舗主坐欄內對簿而監焉。千履万屨客來客去。伴頭磕頭左喏右唯、小猴坐起不暇偸睡。

If you are interested in Edo, I'd like to suggest to you that you should read Edo Hanjōki by Terakado Seiken.

Gilles Poitras wrote:
Alas the current NHK Taiga drama, Ryōmaden, is not being broadcast in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It's too bad that you cannot watch Ryōmaden. In Ryōmaden, spoiler[Hamagurigomon no Hen] happened. I think you also wrote about spoiler[Hamagurigomon no Hen] in The Anime Companion 2.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2