• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unforgettable anime scenes.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
Unforgettable, memorable, or remarkable scenes. Be it funny, dramatic, shocking, exciting, etc.
This kind of scene is definitely something I aim to find once in a while, and even though it's something rare to a individual (:me), it's something that could mark the appearance of one's favorite.

In Gungrave, somewhere near the end of the series, spoiler[when Harry realizes where it all went wrong, that is, when he shot Brandon].
And, of course, by the end of the series when spoiler[both of them fought together like in the good old times.]
They definitely set this series as one of my favorites. At the time I considered them outstanding, and even up to this day I still do.

Clearly, this isn't only limited to my favorites, and also happened quite often outside said range.

In Saikano, when Chise asks her superiors if spoiler[they're tired of playing war.]
Originally I planned on using this one on the quote game; until I realized that it was the scene that was remarkable, not the quote. Definitely a turn for the small obedient Chise.

In Fate/stay night, when Shiro took spoiler[the hit from Berserker while shielding a much stronger ally], Saber. That definitely did it for me. Some consider it nothing but pure sexism, but before my eyes it was true chivalry; in other words, how a real man should react in these situations (yep, a lot of controversial stuff with this line, I know).

All the scenes in Golden Boy where the ladies realized that spoiler[Kintaro was a good man, and not] just a disgusting throne pervert (which indeed is part of him, lol). While the last episode didn't exactly move me or anything, what I said is the truth for all the others.

In this blend of drama and comedy, there's Onizuka (GTO) spoiler[saving one of his students from suicide while landing on Uchiyamada's beloved Cresta.]
Hahahaha. Up to this day, and after watching that scene about 20 times, I still feel sad as he jumps, and laugh as he lands. While I definitely acknowledge the existence of other outstanding comedies out there, at least for me, none of them could reach this level.

A sad one in Gundam 00, when spoiler[Lockon gave his life for his companions.] I assume that I'm most likely one of the few who still hold this scene very dearly. Definitely one of the most marking moments of the series, and also unforgettable.

Not to forget about my favorite, Darker Than Black. There are a few too many scenes on this one, so I'll cut it down to two, besides the ending which is perhaps everyone's favorite.
As Hei infiltrates Pandora, he meets Nick. Someone really alike, spoiler[who also shares a similar ability. This scene begins as soon as Hei met Nick in front of the locker room, up to when Nick flies in the space rocket with his sister.] Needless to say, I'm always crying by the time this scene is over.
The protagonist of the next scene is November 11. By now, those who've seen the series must have already realized which one.spoiler[ Yep, the one he turns against his boss, after realizing he's part of the Syndicate, and end up dying after killing his boss.]
During my first watch, this and Nick's were what truly captivated me. I wouldn't realize that this show is my favorite until I gave it a re-watch or two.

Perhaps a bit too early for this, but I doubt I'll forget this one for the next decades or so: Kara no Kyoukai, part 7. spoiler[When Lio Shirazumi is sexually abusing Shiki.] While his intentions are clearly something else, it's still something that made me nearly crack me teeth. Gotta face it, I loved Shiki, and to watch her in a situation like that could be somewhat frustrating. But, it's not that I disliked the scene, rather, I enjoyed it Cool . It was a important part, and without it the story and plot wouldn't have the same effect.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Okay, let's see...

In Evangelion (the TV series or the movie actually), that early scene where Shinji pilots EVA Unit 01 for the first time and it spoiler[goes berserk and tears the angel to pieces.] That scene was so intense. It really set the tone for the whole series/rest of the movie

In Berserk, when Guts and Griffith first spoiler[encounter Zodd in that castle. The story had supernatural implications that hadn't really but had been building up until that point where it all sort of becomes real.].

At the end of Jin-Roh where Kazuki spoiler[fights all those guys in the sewers with his special armor.] Much like the scene from Eva, it's just such an amazingly intense scene.
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Definitely the end of chrono crusade spoiler[where rosette passes on on the porch with chrono. The ONLY anime to make me cry manly tears of sorrow.]
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Not a spoiler, but in FMP! The Second Raid, the scene where Gates causes a completely senseless massacre instead of a fair negotiation, while singing Ave Maria, was absolutely priceless.

Once again....not a real spoiler, but in Fate/stay night...who could forget the infamous Mana Transfer Dragon? XDDD

Unforgettable doesn't always come off in positive sense. Anime hyper
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

All the scenes in Golden Boy where the ladies realized that spoilerspoiler[[Kintaro was a good man, and not]] just a disgusting throne pervert (which indeed is part of him, lol). While the last episode didn't exactly move me or anything, what I said is the truth for all the others

I would have to say the opposite. Every scene where people think Kintaro is a disgusting throne pervert are unforgettable. The first episodes moment still replay in my mind. The software president carefully mouths her opinion of Kintaro, he then enthusiastically accepts it.[/spoiler]
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The scene from the filth episode of Cowboy Bebop, Ballad of Fallen Angels, when Spike is falling from the church window as the scene slows down and the chilling music plays. Plus the look on Vicious's face when he sees the present Spike left behind.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy. The scene where spoiler[Vincent is being chased down by the Romd officials, and he and Pino flee to an escape vent/hatch. Re-L almost gets sucked out trying to save him, but Iggy saves her. The scene that still gives me the chills is when Vincent looks up and begins to fall backward toward the ground below. He looks at Re-L, and for the first time, the viewer can see Vincent's eyes in detail. It's almost as if at that moment, Vincent totally abandons the idea of becoming a fellow citizen, and gives up his rather reserved demeanor. At that moment he seems to change entirely. It's right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu2t7JrVKHs
The scene starts right around 2:30. ]

Here's a WAY better version (the english dub is a lot better anyway,imo): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paLOGJLlnB8
It's around 21:30

Last edited by jmfsilenthill on Sun May 30, 2010 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
guyheman

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
These are off the top of my head, and most of them aren't good ...

Code Geass: spoiler[Nina doing something by/to herself in the dark.]

Nanoha S1: spoiler[Who doesn't love watching little girls whipped unconscious.]

Elfen Lied: spoiler[Speaking of (unconscious?) little girls, remember the scene with Nana chained to a wall naked? And call me sick, but I sure as hell enjoyed Lucy's revenge after her dog died. Take that you dumb kids.]

Higurashi: spoiler[Mion or Shion hacking away at Satoko's arm seriously made me physically sick. Rika stabbing herself in the head with a knife seriously made me go WTF.]

Gunbuster 2: spoiler[At the very end when it tied in with Gunbuster 1.]

Biohunter: spoiler[The boob growing teeth and chomping off the dude's hand was priceless.]

Kodomo no Jikan: spoiler[I've only seen one episode, and it was a scene in the OAV where the girls were taking a bath. My recollection of the scene is fuzzy (I think on purpose), but what I think happened was one of the girls stood up, but her long hair between her legs, and said, "Otona!" My mind was blown, then I cried.]
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
guyheman wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan: spoiler[I've only seen one episode, and it was a scene in the OAV where the girls were taking a bath. My recollection of the scene is fuzzy (I think on purpose), but what I think happened was one of the girls stood up, but her long hair between her legs, and said, "Otona!" My mind was blown, then I cried.]

Laughing You think that is bad then do not watch KnJ Ni Gakki. One scene I shall mention (be warned) is when spoiler[Rin becomes sick and starts crying out for her mother. So her friend Mimi steps in and Rin starts suckling one of her breasts. Yeh, 9/10 years old] Shocked Creepy to say the least.

Well to add a few that have not yet been mentioned:

FMA: The scene where spoiler[Nina gets turned into a Chimera by her father]. I am not that big a fan of the series but that scene always stuck with me because I never saw it coming.

A personal favourite of mine:

NGE: The spoiler[Asuka mind-rape scene, the full version in the Directors cut. ]. Now personally I prefer this scene in English compared to the sub version because it just sounds so more powerful in your native tongue. However, I thought it was an awesome and beautiful way to show the breakdown of an individuals mind.
guyheman

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
Laughing You think that is bad then do not watch KnJ Ni Gakki. One scene I shall mention (be warned) is when spoiler[Rin becomes sick and starts crying out for her mother. So her friend Mimi steps in and Rin starts suckling one of her breasts. Yeh, 9/10 years old] Shocked Creepy to say the least.

I remember hearing about that. I don't think I'll be putting KnJ on my list of shows to watch anytime soon. I know it has its fans, but it's just not my thing, you know? Laughing

I forgot to mention the ending of Jin-Roh also was very memorable because spoiler[we didn't get some cheesy cop-out happy happy ending. It ended as it should've ended.]
hakojo

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
guyheman wrote:

I forgot to mention the ending of Jin-Roh also was very memorable because spoiler[we didn't get some cheesy cop-out happy happy ending. It ended as it should've ended.]

The end of Jin-Roh is one of those that sticks with you and just won't let go of your heart, even a week after you watch the movie. When I first saw it, I was a wreck for almost two days afterward.

Speaking of emotional wreckage and Production I.G, one scene that I absolutely can't forget comes at the very end of the GitS: SAC 2nd GIG episode Angel's Poem; TRANS PARENT, spoiler[where the terrorist's blind daughter comes into the church searching for him, not knowing that he's already been taken out by Batou and the Major, and mistakes Batou for her father. You can almost feel how badly Batou wants to play along with it for her sake, but in the end he just can't do it. -snif-]

Maan, Batou had better get a happy ending if they ever do a third season....It seems like every time he gets an episode to himself, the whole thing is about crushing some part of his humanity, poor guy. I know, I know, that isn't exactly in keeping with the general mood of the series, but you can't help but feel horrible for him.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:

In context, it's actually a really touching moment. Or, it would be if it weren't portrayed as fanservice. OTL
UsuiTakumi

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
The one scene that made me a wreck for the next few days and gets me everytime i think about it is.... In Air spoiler[When Misuzu dies in her Aunt/"Mother's" arms. After she finally acepted her as her "daughter"] was just the most emotional scene i've ever watched in any anime sceries.

I'm shock this scene wasn't mentioned yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
UsuiTakumi wrote:
The one scene that made me a wreck for the next few days and gets me everytime i think about it is.... In Air spoiler[When Misuzu dies in her Aunt/"Mother's" arms. After she finally acepted her as her "daughter"] was just the most emotional scene i've ever watched in any anime sceries.
Yeah KEY can have some truly distraut scenes. For me I will mention Kanon 2006 in episode spoiler[10 where Makoto and Yuuichi are ringing the bell and Makoto dies in hs arms, trully sad.]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yeah KEY can have some truly distraut scenes. For me I will mention Kanon 2006 in episode spoiler[10 where Makoto and Yuuichi are ringing the bell and Makoto dies in hs arms, trully sad.]

For me, the most unforgettable moment was when spoiler[Shiori and Yuuichi are sitting near the fountain, with Shiori knowing that her death is near, and wishing for nothing but to live like a normal girl.] Just that scene alone made her my favorite character in the entire series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3