• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You know you are an Otaku when....?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiddtic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
hey guys Smile okay So firstly I just want to say I hope this is the right place to post this topic and if not I ask that you may simply re-direct it.

DISCLAIMER
I read the article that stated that anyone can call themselves an "otaku" and I agree with that in all entirety.

This is in no means meant to degrade anyone or make fun of anyone its just for good old clean fu....scratch that good old fun Razz.

Okay so I was chatting wih my friend online and I showed him the 100 Laws of anime that one of the ANN forum members linked us to. I als showed him this threadanimenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=129487&start=0

We then wnt on an ended descussing some of the "not so normal" things we do and we decided to list them as "You Know you are an otaku when....

When you open a normal book at the right side without noticing.
When "Ohayo" is no longer is a state in the US.
You say ITADAKIMASU before you eat.
You know the song/dance of Hare Hare Yukai from Melancholy of Haruhi or Motteke Sailor Fuku from Lucky Star by memory
Your ringtone is from an Anime OP
you recognise numerous Seiyu/VA after only one sentence.

i dont want to Hog them all so you guys can post more. i was hoping we can get to a 100 as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
At risk of being the one to bring it here, many people are just going to see this as a list of "You Know You're a Weeaboo When..." I mean, generally otaku just means a fanatical follower of something. In the US it's pretty limited to an obsession with anime/manga, and in Japan it can be just about anything. Still, saying random Japanese phrases throughout the day and adopting Japanese mannerism just seems like some intense japanophilia going on. I don't really think half your list really denotes anything to do with otakus.

I think it would be more valid if you took your last three, and added stuff in the same vein, or switch over to full OCD otaku mode and started mentioning how you know the script to NGE word-for-word, or how you own every OST/single release for Detective Conan or something.

Meh, not an otaku and not really interested in it, so what do I know?
wm4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
The 100 Laws are some sort of jokes, though.
Casually you can claim to be an otaku because of your mere interest in anime/comics, or one's ill interest of comic girls.

Or, in a more authoritative definition, some one who is able to "read between lines" - understand what a show is about. Like understand what Animal Farm (written by George Orwell) is, and what it *actually* is about (so, being an otaku is just not that hard.) In this sense, the otaku perhaps read/watch a lot - not only animes....
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
kiddtic wrote:
"You Know you are an otaku when...."

...you use the word "otaku" in any conversation.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You know you are an Otaku when....?

You watch anime.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:18 am Reply with quote
Even occasionally?
For me otaku was, is, and will be person who lost themselves in their hobby.
Quote:

Or, in a more authoritative definition, some one who is able to "read between lines" - understand what a show is about. Like understand what Animal Farm (written by George Orwell) is, and what it *actually* is about (so, being an otaku is just not that hard.) In this sense, the otaku perhaps read/watch a lot - not only animes....

Where did you find that? The knowledge has nothing to do about that!
Let's try that definition
Quote:

Otaku (おたく/オタク?) is a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games. Female otaku are occasionally referred to as fujoshi.

If someone call me otaku I'll kill on spot!

Last edited by EireformContinent on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Skylark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
Jeez guys, this game actually has potential to be alright if you guys don't ruin it. For example, no one asked if you are an otaku or not, or about the debate over the definition of otaku or weeaboo. Maybe we could describe our own weeaboo traits and have a laugh at ourselves for once; couldn't hurt. I'll pick up the baton.

How about..

When you have a different anime girl as your desktop wallpaper for each day of the week.

When you find your noodling in your class notebook turns into broken Japanese sentences and poorly drawn fanart.

When you find yourself defending your love of anime to a complete stranger whilst drunk at a party.

When you have an anime mousepad complete with gel wrist-protection breasts.

When you see a pretty girl on the bus and instantly start comparing her to a 2d equivalent.

When your internal moral compass talks to you using quotes from Gurran Lagann.

There's a few; I've got stacks of them though because I fit the Japanophile profile pretty bad. I don't feel I should be ashamed or anything though, I can joke at my own expense. Surely I'm not the only person with a few odd quirks picked up through anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote
Skylark wrote:
Well that is me gone.
I like the use of this motivational poster to seee if one can tell.

Maybe if you want to watch something you peruse anime instead of surfing chanels.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Skylark wrote:
Well that is me gone.
I like the use of this motivational poster to seee if one can tell.

Maybe if you want to watch something you peruse anime instead of surfing chanels.

Dammit, I understand that picture. Sad *hangs self*
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
I feel left out what does the picture mean ?

Seriously though Otaku is one of those words like moe that people have appropriated to label what they personally don't like with. If they don't like something because it's a tad too cutesy for them its full of moe sh*te. And if it's too geeky for them or the fanservice gets in the way its made for fat smelly weirdo otaku's.

It's all a load of Bollocks really. Just watch the damn stuff. I am sick and fed up of people perpetuating these stupid catagorizations spend 100 million years arguing the point and then go straight back and watch the stuff they claim to despise.

All the stuff you have said can be attributed to someone who is just a very dedicated Anime fan. For me someone becomes an Otaku when the line between fantasy and reality blurs for them. That's IT so in fact you NEVER know your are an Otaku since by then you need psychiatric help.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
I feel left out what does the picture mean ?

I guess I'm otaku then. The picture represents the colors used on Haruhi's school uniform and the brown/yellow is her hair and ribbon.

Curses.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Yes, people, let's not ruin this potentially-amusing thread by getting hung up on the definition of an otaku. This is a place for a fun exercise only; there are plenty of other threads in which to debate fine points of semantics.

And, sadly, I do "get" that picture. Rolling Eyes (For those who don't, it represents spoiler[the color pattern on Yuki Nagato's school uniform + the jacket she normally wears from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya].) I am going to be saving that one off, I think. . .

And I'll add one of my own:

You know you're an otaku when your weekly TV viewing primarily consists of Adult Swim's late-night Saturday and/or Sci Fi Network's Ani-Monday programming blocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
Recognized the series that picture represents even though I've seen it only once... definitely not a way to define "otaku".
I dislike grouping, generally. And I dislike the way people simply blame everything on otaku even though they're the core support of anime. But...

The most common should be those who watch anime all day long and don't care much about social life and spend lots of money on anime.
One thing to note here is that even though they're sitting in front of their TV, or whatever, they're still living a life and enjoying it by doing that, so save us the trouble and don't call them lifeless.

Another category, who definitely consider themselves better than the above, those who know about most seiyu, VA, directors, companies, etc. involved in the anime they're watching.
This is definitely not my category. I can tell apart quite a few seiyu, and fewer companies, but that's pretty much it.

Cosplayers and Con attendees. This category often matches the second, but hardly the first, as the first group doesn't care about socializing.

Oh, did I just claim stuff I shouldn't?

Now for the fun facts:

I know when you're an otaku when your main hobby is to watch anime. Never mind people calling you to go to the beach with them, as the sun won't let you see the screen.

I know you're an otaku if you call an anime character sexy in the presence of others, principally your wife.

I know you're an otaku if you give your pet a ninja headband.

I know you're an otaku if you watch more than 4 shows each season, besides the others accumulated from past seasons.

Yep, I know much, yet I don't consider myself an otaku. But I wouldn't mind being called by the description... anime nerd, anime addict, etc.

Skylark wrote:
When you see a pretty girl on the bus and instantly start comparing her to a 2d equivalent.

Gah. You got me.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
You know you are an otaku when you start pairing your male and female friends into yaoi and yuri pairings then contemplate who is seme and who is uke...

...then tell them Laughing

I cannot help doing it, their facial expressions crack me up. Yeh, I have a weird sense of humour, what of it! Smile

Then again this may not be 'otaku' but just 'bizarre'!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And, sadly, I do "get" that picture. Rolling Eyes (For those who don't, it represents spoiler[the color pattern on Yuki Nagato's school uniform + the jacket she normally wears from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya].) I am going to be saving that one off, I think. . .
spoiler[actually I think the addition of the yellow elludes more to Haruhi's ribbons.]

Maybe if most of the songs you listen to are from anime.

Or looking at this food automaticly makes you think of anime

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6